Need feedback on new rifle

elh0102

Jul 31, 2018
NC
I find that I have traded myself out of a .177 PCP, and I'm looking around for one. It will be for backyard plinking, informal targets, and maybe a little HFT. I want either a single shot, or a mag rifle that has a good single shot tray. Three I am considering: AA S500, Daystate Wolverine, and Brocock Bantam XR. Don't want a bullpup. I have a Taipan Veteran in .22, and as great as it is, I've decided I'm just not a BP kind of guy, and will probably sell it. Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

I have quite a few high end rifles and have been inside those and a bunch more for reseal/repair/adjustment, so I've handled, seen the designs, and shot a bunch. I picked up a Red Wolf HP and Wolverine R , both in 177 for my wife. Have to say the WR is my favorite out of everything I've shot and the RW HP 177 is close. Both are extremely accurate and pleasant but the WR, at 18 ft lb, has got to be the most pleasant to shoot of anything I've ever handled. She has 0dB's on both and they are just SO quiet, accurate and reliable, it never gets old plinking or competing with them. Not super light, but not heavy either. It balances well for us offhand and the side lever is super smooth and easy. Can't really say enough good about the design and function.

Occasionally, DS lets a stock get through that is really AMAZING. You could hope for one of those if you decide to go that route.

There are a LOT of nice rifles now. I'm sure you'll love whatever one you choose. 

Bob

Ed, if your considering the XR, give Jim at Precision airguns a call. Was in there a week or so ago and got a chance to shoot one. He's selling it as a demo at a decent discount. As of then only him and I were the only ones to shoot it. Was a bit heavier than a Royale, but seems built very robust. Was shooting indoors at short range and stacking them. Seemed like a very fine rifle.