Need expert advice on compressor

Guys,

I need some expert advice on purchasing a decent compressor from you who have had the experience Good & bad. I have two 480CC bottles as well as an 18cu.ft Guppy tank that I use to feed my rifles. I use a lot of air. I am looking to buy a "DECENT " compressor in the $500-$800 range that is equal to the task as noted and won't break on need major repair in the first month. I know the old adage " you get what you pay for" but I just can' afford one of the $1300-$1500 compressors. Any advice will be more than welcome. Also, Is there any law that says that you can't fill you own tank even if the mfg. date time limit has passed. I came across a BRAND NEW still in the box carbon fiber SCBA tank with the original paperwork that I can get filled by a friend. Went to get it hydro tested but was told they couldn't do it because of the time expiration. But they did visually check the exterior and exterior and advised it was perfect.

Thanks

You might want to consider a Yong Heng compressor. There a good amount cheaper the your price range and it can hang with anything in that range and several much more pricey as well, if well taken care of. Also parts are easy to get and cheap. As far as that out of date tank. Im not sure if I would want to use it. Sounds like it has long expired if they will not test. It may look good and may even very well be but that resin used to bond the fibers breaks down over time. Even a few hundred psi could be nasty. A few thousand psi is far, far worse. Risk it if you want. I would not gamble with high pressure.

YONG HENG with good Royal Purple and a good filter and abstaining on that expired tank because I have one too similar to your situation but haven't had the balls to fill it up even if I do own several compressors. I may just try 3000 psi and only use it to fill my 2000psi Benjamin Discovery and Maximus and 1500psi MAC-1 USFT guns. Maybe I just won't try and just blast it with my LCS SK19 in full auto to be done with this frustrating decision IDK...

I have a Yong Heng clone I use to direct fill my four pcps that has been running strong for 3+ years. Do not own a tank. I have bought spares for it, but considering another compressor and also getting a small tank. I have a 50yd range in my back yard and a 100yd range on my property. I occasionally spend a day there and take my YH, generator and water, but it is somewhat a pain. So I am considering the Xisco cs3 (oil filled system). The reviews on these are very good. https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/jts-gx-e-cs3-compressor/

If I wanted a Young Heng l would buy one from Wallmart with a 3-4 year protection plan. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yong-Heng-exclusive-authorized-Air-Compressor-Pump-Electric-High-Pressure-System-Rifle-110V-30MPA/788946267

Annnd, another +1 for an 'authentic' Yong Heng - or at this point, even the 1:1 'clones'. 
These compressors are absolute work horses, and are worth their weight in gold. Definitely the best bang for the buck.

I've had mine for 1.5+ years and counting.. Never any issues.. Royal Purple 'Compressor Oil' is the only oil I recommend. 
Long story short, I was Very distracted not too long ago, did an oil change, and Completely Forgot To Refill The Oil.. 
I had to fill an Omega 90 or 100 cu/ft carbon fiber tank from zero psi / empty to 300+ bar..
The compressor ran for 10 min, while I checked the temp and purged the oil/water, then some more.. 
And that's when it hit me.. DERP! I let it cool down, did an inspection - all good.. 
Added Oil This Time. haha *Ouch* Ran the comp 20-30 min at a time w/ 10-15 min oil/water purges, 
and intermittent cool downs.. It worked Flawlessly! Then I did another oil drain / inspection - Perfect! 
Refilled, and good to go! 

I don't know if I could say that another oil would have protected the internals as well as that RP did. Killer stuff!
And, I'm still on the original QT that I got for it 1.5 years ago. Best $20 bucks I ever spent.

It fills and tops off 3 different large capacity tanks: 88cu/ft and up,
480 cu/in and 580 cu/in tanks, as well as rifle cylinders - in a pinch.

Great option for sure, and again.. Highly Recommended.

Mine is the self-pressure-set / auto-shutoff version. Zero issues w/ the auto kill feature.. 
The only other thing I've done to it was swap out the *C digi tamp gage for a *F version. 

I've been talking to a few people about these - as they're also in the market for a comp..
Amazon has them at a decent price - And - You can opt for Extended Warranty plans. 
[There was a great post/thread on here about that]

Also, just brought to my attention - again - I keep forgetting..

Walmart . com also offers them. And, they offer a multi-year-warranty as well. 

👍 

Sam -

Agree. Not always the most convenient to use but my Yong Heng has been more than worth the price I paid for it. I used it for well over a year and recently removed the valve from my Great White tank to check internally (no corrosion or moisture inside) and filled it from empty with the YH. Took roughly an hour. It still fills like that if needed even though I have now purchased an MCH6 compressor. And with the warranty you mentioned available for the YH it would seem to be hard to pass up for anyone on a budget. Very glad I purchased a YH when I did.

YONG HENG with good Royal Purple and a good filter and abstaining on that expired tank because I have one too similar to your situation but haven't had the balls to fill it up even if I do own several compressors. I may just try 3000 psi and only use it to fill my 2000psi Benjamin Discovery and Maximus and 1500psi MAC-1 USFT guns. Maybe I just won't try and just blast it with my LCS SK19 in full auto to be done with this frustrating decision IDK...

Yeah I dunno, I hate RP. I've used the RP 10W40 in my mower and it's like a gimmick or something. Goes in burnt looking, comes out burnt looking. I'm running Coltri CE750 in my LPA Yong Heng and it's working pretty well so far. Plus CE750 is rated for breathable air which is really important for moisture free air guns. ;P

Legal Stuff about tanks. Those are Department of Transportation regulations. So, the DOT controls transportation. Can you fill your own tanks after expiration? My understanding (get a real lawyer to validate anything, I'm no lawyer, so whatever I say is worth what you paid for it). So, legally, as long as you don't run foul of the DOT, shouldn't be a problem.

Now, as for extending the DOT dates - Pyramyd Air was doing a new version of the Hydro Test a while back that can add 15 years to the life of the tank. Apparently the Navy had boatloads of tanks coming up on 15 years and needed to extend their lives. So, they invented a new method to replace hydro. It's expensive, but DOT recognizes it.

Having said all that, you should watch 22 Plinkster's video where he shoots one and explodes it. The amount of energy is incredible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_El-4k7xds

My own choice is a Yong Heng (hoping to get mine back running today, been down waiting for parts for a couple months). But at under $300, it's still cheaper than the fancy $1400 and up compressors.

good luck. 

Well my Air Venturi compressor went bad after 2 years. It worked good till the connecting rod on one of the pistons broke and sheared the armature shaft.

Placed a call with Pyramid and Air Venturi for part availability but no reply back. Got spoiled having it and and now I'm bitting the big one and ordered a Alkin W31 last Monday .

Should have just saved a little more and not have to buy twice. Yea its a lot of money but if you love the sport get what really works not what almost works.

Because after reading other comments on the forum its not just and extra filter to get the stink, and water out of the air but parts every 1 to 2 years to rebuild it.

So dude good luck and get the best you can afford .

Reactions: Saltlake58