• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need advice

Uragan compact.

agt-uragan22compact.png

Reactions: Glem.Chally
I am looking for a backpack gun to shoot Squirrels while in the deer stand. It will need to be moderated. I was looking at the Talon P, but don’t know if that is the best option. Let me know what you think. Not really worried about cost. Just want the right setup.
I've been looking for an airgun for that same purpose. Currently I'm considering the RTI Prophet 2 performance Compact and the FX Wildcat MK3, BT Compact. Not much info available on the Prophet yet.

Me and my sons carry a Kral NP03 22cal into the deer woods every time we go. It works great and has killed a ton of squirrels while waiting for the gray ghost to come through. We shot one last year during rifle season and had two does and a fawn come through feeding within a minute so they were fairly close when the shot was taken. Waiting on my new .177cal PP700 to get here which will most likely take the place of the 03 while deer hunting. I recommend a .177 for this job to get a quieter impact.

Beau Moody

I would use my Prod with it's custom screw off butt stock. 5 lbs including the Hawke Vantage 2-7X scope. I thought it was a little under powered stock and have turned it up to about 18 fpe and am now satisfied. I put a Buck Rail moderator on it and the accuracy seemed to improve as did the noise level. But it is more of a "budget" option. I think I have about $500 in it including the scope.

A "money is no object" gun for this purpose would probably be a Edgun Leshy 2 in 22 caliber. Very compact with it's folding stock and more power than my little Prod and still relatively light. Really about any Edgun could fulfill this role.

The Leshiy Classic Compact is nice, but follow up shots if needed, would be slow. Also some L2 users have made comments about the noise it can make even with a moderator. Is the L2 deer, tree stand quiet? Shooting a squirrel and spooking a big buck, or any legal deer would be a bad trade off... One late thought, the OP would be taking squirrels incidental to the main prey, deer. So, bottle guns need not apply, if wanting to keep the form factor small and tight.

Last edited:
It seems like you wouldn't want any unnecessary length when in a deer stand.

So, guns that have a folding stock are longer than they have to be....
Only true bullpups are as short as the barrel allows (well, except for a few that have bloat stocks = additional inches of buttstock beyond the action).

There is a whole list of compact bullpups to choose from, cf. below.

Have fun shopping! 😊

Matthias

🔶 Compact Bullpups 🔶
Criteria for inclusion: high quality | regulated | under 26" short

▪22.6" = 57.5cm: AirMaks Caiman [not Caiman X]

▪23.4" = 59.5cm: EDGun Lelya 2.0

▪23.6" = 60cm: Taipan Veteran Compact

▪23.9" = 61cm: Ataman BP17

▪24.5" = 62cm: AGT Uragan Compact

▪24.9" = 63.3cm: RTI Prophet I Compact (the MKII is probably louder)

▪25.0" = 63.5cm: FX Impact M3 Compact

▪25.2" = 64cm: KalibrGun Argus 45

▪25.7" = 65.3cm: RTI Prophet I Performance Compact

Honorable mention — longer, and louder(?):
▪26.8" = 68cm: FX Wildcat MKIII "Compact"
▪27.5" = 70cm: FX Maverick "Compact"

Honorable mention — non-bullpups:
▪24.9" = 63.3cm: EDgun Leshiy [Classic 250mm]
▪25.5" = 64.8cm: EDgun Leshiy 2 Short

Honorable mention — they are short but quite loud so that a silencer usually is necessary — making them much longer:
▪23.0" = 58.4cm — PLUS Silencer: Brocock Atomic XR Compact Carbine
▪24.8" = 63cm — PLUS Silencer: STEYR Pro X Scout

Last edited: