Need Advice On a PCP

Gentlemen,

I’m an old dinosaur in the airgun world. I graduated from springers to pcp’s about 18 years ago. I was a regular on the old yellow forum and the vintage forum. Once I graduated to pcp’s I bought two 88 cu ft carbon fiber tanks and a compressor. I have air.

I’ve owned quite a few of the older pcp’s like an FX Cyclone, several AA S410’s, several Tarantula’s, a Royale, a Daystate MCT (hate electronic triggers), a FX Ranchero, etc., etc.

Been away from the airgun world for a long time. I’ve spent most of the last week searching this site thinking that I would be able, with enough research, to make an informed decision about my first pcp purchase in over 10 years. Boy was I wrong. The airgun world has exploded and left me behind.

One thing that my research has shown me is that there are so many more dedicated airgunners that unselfishly share their knowledge than when I was a regular contributor. Bless you all.

More to the point…I have a very good friend that I gave a Tarantula to about 15 years ago for pesting. The Tarantula has had problems over these years with sealing issues, has a low shot count and he’s tired of imposing on me for refills, has become unwieldly for him in his advanced years, and he gave it back to me.

I need your help identifying a pcp that I can buy for him that meets his needs. You need to know that he shoots out of his dining room window at his pests and the average distance is less than 20 yards. Beyond the obvious, i.e., accurate and good trigger here are the requirements in order of importance:

1-.22 caliber

2-High shot count. Very high shot count.

3-Quiet. Not necessarily out of the box but must be able to be made quiet.

4-Manuevarable off hand out of a window. Lightweight and short. Not sure if this translates to a bullpup, compact, mini, or?

5-All of the myriad of tuning adjustments like hst, reg, hammer, etc., etc. will probably be wasted on this requirement BUT if it could be adjusted down to around 12 ft/lb to increase shot count that would probably be enough power for his needs.

6-Needs to work out of the box. Neither he nor I are airgun mechanics. Reliability, dependability may need to be rated higher but know it’s very important.

Is this a Cricket Mini, Edgun Leyla, Taipan Mutant, Uragan Compact, Vulcan whatever, FX Impact Compact or???? My head is spinning with all the current choices.

Thank you in advance for any advice you’re willing to share.

Welcome back! 12 ft lbs should be more than enough for 20 yards. The Huben K1 can be EASILY adjusted from 70+ fpe to 12 fpe. Trigger is good considering it’s a semi auto. At 12 fpe it will get 100+ shots. Being that it’s a bullpup it’s perfect for close quarter maneuvering weighing in at 7 lbs and 32” OAL. Solid out of the box performer, mine hasn’t had any issues after 2 years and 1,000s of rounds

261d.svg
Good call legionair. That is a fun choice.

My favorite airgun at the moment, can’t get enough of those double taps

If you want very high shot count then you need an _efficient_ _bottle_ gun. AGT Uragan Compact, RTI Prophet (regular not high power), FX Impact Compact, FX Maverick Compact.

The Taipan Veteran Compact in .22 is about 47 shots per fill at 35 ft/lbs. It's uses an air tube and not a bottle. Quiet, maneuverable, and only the hammer spring is externally adjustable (but easily so especially with the donnyfl speed adjuster). I have mine adjusted to little under 19 FPE. I cleaned mine but otherwise just shoot it. It's an accurate gun.

Check out the comparison photos here:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/to-some-size-does-matter-and-looks-bullpup-photo-comparison-chart-2/

Remember, if you want as quiet as possible, you will be adding a moderator and it adds significantly to the relative length of short bullpups.

Kalibrgun Capybara... .22 bullpup form factor; very light/compact even with a ~19in barrel; 18-shot magazine; 50shots per fill @32ft lbs/shot. Can't ask for better.

RTI Prophet... .22/same form factor; looks like an FX impact, but much light/compact/simple built. 12-shot magazine. 110 shots per fill @ 60ft lbs/shot!!! Basically same size as the capybara.

Welcome back! 12 ft lbs should be more than enough for 20 yards. The Huben K1 can be EASILY adjusted from 70+ fpe to 12 fpe. Trigger is good considering it’s a semi auto. At 12 fpe it will get 100+ shots. Being that it’s a bullpup it’s perfect for close quarter maneuvering weighing in at 7 lbs and 32” OAL. Solid out of the box performer, mine hasn’t had any issues after 2 years and 1,000s of rounds

Curious... any issues with wild POI shift with an LDC attached? If works fine, may ask which LDC your using please? Thanks.

I am going to do a different sugestion : (since you seem FX inclined) get an FX Royale in .22 , get carbon bottle on it. This way you have an ergonomic lightweight package that is a proven an durable design. It also provides high shotcount, and efficient air-use, and possibility to get 30 fpe and 12 fpe rifle in one, with just switch of the wheel. It also has a good trigger. 

All the bulpups are great if you are looking for great power AND short length, but in general they are heavier...

just my 2 cts

I second the recommendation of an FX Royale 400. I'm not an FX fan, but I have a Royale and like it very much. The original, solid ST barrel requires virtually no maintenance, the action is robust and simple, very accurate, and with CF bottle, great shot count. It is truly a rifle that is ready to go out of box, and should not need to be touched for years. Unlike many rifles, my Royale shoots great from the magazine, and I rarely use the single shot tray. If I had to pick a gripe, it would be the magazine loading design, kind of tedious, but easily mastered and now I never think about it. And it shoots so well using the mag, I would almost hate to see it redesigned. I can't think of a better rifle for this prospective owner. 

Go to the classified and buy him a nice used gun. Personally the huntsman regal would be my pick. Most any one you mentioned would be fine.

Thanks for your reply. I don't have a problem buying used. Should have mentioned that. The Huntsman Regal is a fine, traditional rifle choice but I'm concerned about shot count in this tube gun. Any idea if it's turned down to around 12 ft/lb what the shot count would be in .22? 

Thanks for your reply. This is the type of input from an owner I had hoped for. I'll take a closer look at the Huben K1.

If you want very high shot count then you need an _efficient_ _bottle_ gun. AGT Uragan Compact, RTI Prophet (regular not high power), FX Impact Compact, FX Maverick Compact.

The Taipan Veteran Compact in .22 is about 47 shots per fill at 35 ft/lbs. It's uses an air tube and not a bottle. Quiet, maneuverable, and only the hammer spring is externally adjustable (but easily so especially with the donnyfl speed adjuster). I have mine adjusted to little under 19 FPE. I cleaned mine but otherwise just shoot it. It's an accurate gun.

Check out the comparison photos here:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/to-some-size-does-matter-and-looks-bullpup-photo-comparison-chart-2/

Remember, if you want as quiet as possible, you will be adding a moderator and it adds significantly to the relative length of short bullpups.

Your response is extremely helpful. Your link to the comparison chart is mind blowing. I didn't know about half of those choices. Would you mind telling me how many shots you get with your Taipan Veteran Compact in .22 cal now that you adjusted it to "a little under 19 FPE"?

Kalibrgun Capybara... .22 bullpup form factor; very light/compact even with a ~19in barrel; 18-shot magazine; 50shots per fill @32ft lbs/shot. Can't ask for better.

RTI Prophet... .22/same form factor; looks like an FX impact, but much light/compact/simple built. 12-shot magazine. 110 shots per fill @ 60ft lbs/shot!!! Basically same size as the capybara.

Thanks for the reply. The .22 RTI Prophet gets 110 shots per fill @ 60 ft/lbs???!!