Need Advice on a new Moderator for my Crown

Before I just go out and buy a bunch of new moderators, I wanted to see if anyone had any advice to lend me first.

Here's where I'm at - my (.22) 700mm Crown has some bark to it when it's cranked up. The little DonnyFL Fx moderator does quiet it down, but I need it a bit quieter. I want to keep it as short as possible (goes without saying, who doesn't?). Same goes for this moderator on my 380mm barrel - it's quiet at lower power, but I need to take it down a few notches still.

My dilemma - I have a .22 Sumo, it has worked fine on all of my other rifles, with the exception of my Crown Continuum. I'm seeing very bad POI shifts between shots (especially at higher velocities). 

I have a Ramus Trident .25 moderator coming tomorrow from another forum member, but I'm wondering if I'd be able to get away with a shorter can, possibly 0bD 110C or one of the smaller Huggets? I'd like to get into something that doesn't require felt, rather baffled internals, but I'm all ears!

Get in touch with Silent thunder ordnance. He’s done extensive development (which he posted about here) with a sound meter that actually works ( most clip the sound peaks.) I have a MUS for my Crown .30 that is better than anything else I’ve tried (Donny FL, Airfective) but for a .22 you may want the Pilum or Levitas.

When you refer to "POI shifts between shots", do you mean that literally, or, that POI shifts with the attachment of the moderator, but groups are still good? The latter is normal, but the former is an accuracy issue. If groups become poor with the mod, then it is obviously part of the issue. It's possible that merely attaching it changes the harmonics to a poor status, but I doubt it. If groups are really bad, I would be suspicious of clipping. 

Get in touch with Silent thunder ordnance. He’s done extensive development (which he posted about here) with a sound meter that actually works ( most clip the sound peaks.) I have a MUS for my Crown .30 that is better than anything else I’ve tried (Donny FL, Airfective) but for a .22 you may want the Pilum or Levitas.

I agree with AirgunNH

STO's mods work brilliantly and are unbelievably light, which is great on a crown 👍🏻 

I think the Pilum is the way to go if you do choose to order one.

mtnGhost- Thanks for the post. I too have been shopping around for a moderator (for the FX Impact MKII, .25). After looking around and becoming fimilar with the Donny's and Huggett's, the Silent Thunder Ordnance options were well explained and appear to be a positive option. I do like the nylon construction, I think it helps address the possession concerns I have for a moderator (Silencer...), in this case obviously un-useable on the wide variety of powder burners I also own. Being in Law Enforcement I choose to err on the conservative side, so anyone who wants to object/flame, please keep it to yourself- thanks for understanding.

I will look forward to any additional input the more knowledgeable may offer for the Impact application. For those who already own the STO- I assume this will need an adaptor, can you please confirm and let me know where you purchased the adaptor? Thanks!

Good Luck and good Shooting! Hi-vel

All:

Just rec'vd a response to my questions from Silent Thunder Ordnance (STO) - Questions were quickly and effectively answered:

Per STO e-mail: in reference to a question regarding the two different baffle configurations they offer- "So there is a lot which goes into which flow situation will be found in a given gun, and which performance variant will perform best. I'm guessing though you're running a tune at around 50 (given a 700mm .25 Impact) or fewer foot pounds, and that your gun is running relatively air efficiently at that power (obviously power is only a useful gauge of flow if your gun is efficient, if it isn't you could be dumping tons of air and it wouldn't be reflected in pellet velocity) ." 

Another endorsement for tuning! 

In response I ordered their Pilum in Standard Mod. configuration.

He went on concerning the thread question to state: "... The short answer is if your gun has a 1/2UNF muzzle thread, you don't need an adapter. If your gun doesn't, you do. The other common FX muzzle thread is M20x1 which is visually a very obviously different thread so should be easy to tell apart."

He also stated that the Moderators were made to order so the ship date would run 5-10 work days. That seems completely reasonable- long as I know what to expect, I can usually work with.

I sincerely appreciate the quick and thorough response by STO and will absolutely be looking them up for future purchases. Good job STO! Hi-vel

I purchased the Levitas from Sto for a .25 cal 600mm Crown. The only comparable difference I can tell between the donnyfl and the Levitas is weight savings and price.

Things to note. The donny's are Fx branded came new with the rifles. A dreamline and a impact. Outdoors shooting side by side swapping mods no one could tell the difference. I'll even be honest on this fact as far as my hearing. I'm deaf in upper ranges, so I'm hyper sensitive to lower range tones. Both removed the thumps. Weight savings. One is aluminum the other carbon. 

I guess my deciding factor was weight. On a free hanging barrel like the crown, I went with the lightest choice.

I'd like to thank everyone for chiming in with information on @STO's moderators! I have been living in a digital internet cave apparently, I wasn't even aware they existed LOL!

That said, I've ordered a Pilum and a Mus and went with stainless threads and moderate flow. I'm hopeful that the Pilum will be a drop in replacement for the Sumo, and the Mus will be my goto for hunting in an area where the birds are easily scared by noise.

I have a Ronin .25 on the way as well. I'm anxious to put it against the Mus and see which one is actually quieter!

mtnGhost: I would sure like to know what your review of these are once you try them out.

I would really like to see your thoughts on how these compare. I have his levitas and it stays on my streamline 22. My sumo is a touch quieter but the weight difference helped a lot with barrel droop.

Absolutely! I'll update this thread once I get them and let you know how they perform 😎 

@Cranky1 - the weight on these (or lack thereof) is incredible in the specs! I seriously thought there was a typo when I read up on them. Aside from the weight, how does your Levitas feel? 

Group:

Greetings- I am wondering if anyone has any experience with some of the Db Meter apps that are available on the i-phone? I now have 3 different moderators and have wondered what the realistic numbers are- 'really'. While I do not expect laboratory quality, a good relative point is a good start.

I see there is a positively rated app on the Apple app store: Decibel X: dB, dBA Noise Meter, but again I have zero experience with Db Meters...

What say you?

I will re-Post this as a separate question in the forum, but this is the thread that got me thinking about it...

Good Luck and Good Shooting, Hi-vel

That's a great question that I have also pondered myself! I'm not even sure how good or bad the sensitivities are with modern iPhone mics now, in terms of apps being able to use the detected sound levels for readings.

(Putting on my nerd hat here... )

I have done a fair bit of low-level hardware hacking in a previous life (drivers, programming, and Linux / UNIX related stuff). That said, I suspect that an external mic would have to be used to get some degree of "usable" (not lab quality, just minimally usable) sound level information. It really comes down to the quality of the hardware mic, it's integrated features, and the device OS's audio bus / ecosystem that the application would interface with. 

Apple has developer libraries that allow apps permissions to the mic (via OS-level APIs), they wouldn't give the apps raw device access, but they probably expose some data from the mic that allows the app developers to code with. I would be pessimistic without having a good understanding of the actual hardware (I'm writing this from my XS Max) and the API details that Apple provides.

(Throwing my nerd hat back in the dresser wheee it belongs!)

These are incredibly light!!! Both are very quiet, but the Mus is extraordinarily quiet! I'm anxious to see how my rifle shoot with them now long range, if they're as good as they look - I'll be smiling ear to ear lol

1564441807_1031650875d3f7ccf8c8152.22336909_7A3C6E01-2A73-409B-8C5C-370747C706DF.jpeg

Any more follow up on these? I'm particularly interested in the performance difference between the two models. It seemed while following STO during development that the Pilum was outperforming the Mus even with Mus' larger size.

YES! These have been working FLAWLESSLY!!! The build quality feels industrial in strength for being carbon fiber based (I did get the stainless threads on both), and they're both VERY quiet, ultralight, and do no affect POI like the others that I've tried.

P.S. - The little FX DonnyFL doesn't negatively impact POI btw, but it's not the quietest kid in the classroom.