• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need advice in a pistol selection

I will tell you this,a pistol is twice as hard to shot as good as a rifle and a scope only adds to that....if he is not a pistol shooter he should not get a pistol.

Got that out of the way...why a pistol?...I take it there is a price point .I think a pistol that comes with a add on stock would be a good bet.

I know there are others with more experience than me about killing power of CO2...good luck

I would get a Crosman 1322 with the shoulder stock deal. He will also need a steel breech so he can scope it. Since you have airgun experience, you can install it. With that gun, now you have the option of a pistol scope and shoot it as a pistol or a rifle scope and shoot it as a rifle. Probably about $120 for the gun and breech. Casual airgun guys need to steer clear of CO2 or PCP’s. Springers and pumps can take some neglect.

Probly the best deal for like 30-40 yards would be a Crosman 2300KT co2 pistol in .22. https://www.crosman.com/custom-shop/?base=2300kt Very inexpensive way to take care of small pests. Go for a 10 inch or longer barrel for a bit more power. You build it to your specs on the Crosman site. Easy to mod for more power or put a stock on it. Great pistols for around $100 - $150 with a steel breech and loads of aftermarket parts. Put a moderator on it if you don't like the noise. Good for temps above 60 degrees F 

The 1300KT pumper guns are a bit weak but can easily be modified to shoot stronger or put a stock on it. There are loads of aftermarket parts for them as well. $100+ with a steel breech. Get a longer barrel and modify the valve for more power. https://www.crosman.com/custom-shop/

Crosman also makes the Marauder pistol https://www.crosman.com/benjamin-marauder-air-pistol-22 it's more powerful like 15.6fpe and a PCP repeater so you will need a pump or compressor with a filter or a tank. It is already moderated so fairly quiet. Cost is around $400 and another $60 for a cheap Chinese hand pump or $250 for an electric compressor. Temps don't matter on the PCP guns.

Then there is the HW44 for the seriously addicted folks for $1000. A very nice PCP repeater quiet, accurate and powerful at near 17fpe and a treat to shoot. 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards. https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Weihrauch_HW44_Air_Pistol_FAC_Version/4421#8584

As I get the distinct feeling that the solicitation for recommendations for an air pistol to eradicate chipmunks comes from (and for) non-handgunners, I can't help but LOL.

Assuming I read the original post well enough to grasp the situation correctly, Vetmx got the answer 50% right. "a Crosman 1322 with the shoulder stock" is correct. However I have to respectfully disagree with "Casual airgun guys need to steer clear of CO2".

If, for whatever reason, a pistol is the only choice, a shoulder stock is as important as the pistol itself. But a Crosman 2240 is as good a choice as a 1322. 

BTW, neither Crosman and shoulder stock makes even a small dent in any budget.

Not to get off track on your pistol question but regarding Chipmunk eradication. An old friend uses a bone stock Hammerli RWS 850 co2 specifically to effectively dispatch chipmunks off of his bird feeder out to 40 yards. I asked if that was powerful enough and he told me he has more humane kills with the bone stock co2 850 than his HPA bottle converted one which was shooting hotter than the unmodded one. Yo

If you’re on a budget you can’t beat the crosman 1322 (pump gun)

If budget is not an issue, I would go with the .22 Zoraki HP01 Ultra(AKA Webley Alecto). They are laser accurate, more powerful than 1322, target style grip that makes it easier to hold the gun steady, adjustable trigger, solid open sights. It only requires 4 pumps for full power compared to 10 pumps for the crosman 1322. Made out of rugged ballistic polymer that will last a lifetime. Hands down the best pistol on the market in the pump/ springer category. They may seem pricey but for all the features it offers they’re well worth it!

I have acquired quite a number of pistols (multi-pump and CO2) plus several pellet rifles. My Crosman 1377 (.177) is capable of killing birds and small pests; but my Crosman 2400KT with a 14" barrel is just awesome! (Okay, it's loud, too). I've killed squirrels with it, shooting in the 600s (IIRC). However, for killing efficiency at a low cost, a lower FPS break barrel (or CO2) is ideal: 625-675 FPS kills small pests for me out to 30 yards (with scopes, otherwise I couldn't see to aim). Though I haven't killed any squirrels with vintage Crosman 2100 or the Daisy 880 (both I got for my grandsons), I do believe that both are capable. The Daisy is just too short for me to aim well; the Crosman is an excellent shooter. I just don't get many short shot opportunities, so my Hammerli 850 or my HW30 gets the bid. 

To close, if I could shoot at tree rats only 8-18ft away, any one of several of pistols I would try to use to make the kill. My Beeman P-17 is my favorite finisher pistol for when I've seriously wounded one; and it imparts a kill shot to the head quite effectively. I just wouldn't expect such penetration (only 410 FPS possible) at longer distances. Some 1911s, the Daisy 408, and a few others will produce upper 400s FPS, and that will get the job done at shorter distances. Otherwise, a cheaper Crosman multi-pump (or more expensive one) should do nicely. And, yes, there's even nicer guns to buy....but that's another rabbit whole!

hope you find what you're looking for,

Arch_E

"AirNGasman…was looking through my Oct,2002 AIRGUN Illustrated….and on the last page saw a add for a book from some guy in Dripping Springs Texas,I just wonder is it now Drooping Springs…..hey…some well know air gun gurus gave it a thumbs up….must be a good read."

Dripping Springs is anything but drooping now. But thankfully I escaped the Austin-suburb insanity in the nick of time... LITERALLY! You see, I managed to sell the first home I "owned" (in DS) for 2.5 times the purchase price, right after declaring bankruptcy because my bicycle store in Austin specializing in HONEST CUSTOMER SERVICE couldn't compete in a market smitten with Lance Armstrong; the King Of Corruption... by any measure. No, we didn't sell Trek.

"some well know air gun gurus gave it a thumbs up….must be a good read." Not sure which of my airgun books you're referencing; but unfortunately many of those airgun gurus are no longer with us, and Readers are also going extinct. Yes, it was a good read... all five of them.

Thanks for the nice feedback, BB. Methinks you must be of the same (or similar) generation as me. Hope you're enjoying retirement as much as me... though I realize no-one is!

Happy Shooting Bud,

RR

Alecto is no longer available in th US.

crosman custom shop 2400, long breech, 14" .22 LW barrel, shoulder stock, red dot. Aka rat catcher. About $165. Plus shipping.

They still are.

The last one, an Ultra, got sold about a week or so ago:

https://maxarmory.com/search?q=hp01

They replenish their inventory in very limited numbers though.

Have not seen the .177 in about a year.

Awsome!

i really enjoy shooting mine.

download.png
1588883471_4991386335eb4700f65fe34.82507243.jpeg

1588883500_4975370695eb4702c01fe04.71960014.jpeg

1300KT or 2400KT from Crosman’s custom shop would be my choices. To get the steel breech for the 13xx and 22xxe I think the best value is ordering from Crosman’s custom shop. For best accuracy use the 1399 stock and shoot them as a carbine. I have both. My 2400KT has the 14” LW barrel. It’s not super loud but not quiet either. If their are neighbors close by an investment in a TKO will make it quieter than James Bond’s PPK with a pickle 😉.

A little something different, might I suggest a crosman 150. Can usually be found for around $100-150 on the usual sites. They are built like a tank, very accurate and are arguably the most powerful stock co2 pistol out there. The main drawback to them is that they are fairly loud, other than that a very nice vintage pistol that still has a good parts supply available. Good luck with the search.