NEED ADVICE: Culling Nutria

I’ve been enlisted to help cull a nuisance population of Nutria. This is a new species for me. I’ll be using a .25 Benjamin Armada. I have no experience with these animals, and I’m not a fan of the “inhuman tuition” style of learning as I go.

Can they see red light?

What’s the ideal shot placement?

FPE recommendations?

Are they skittish? Fast? Slow? Dumb? Smart?

Please share any advice you got?

I can't answer any of these questions except for shot placement. Looking at a picture of their skull, I would advise against front facing shots. I would go for the side of the head between the eye and ear, or through the ear for that matter. Thats the method I use for groundhogs when using anything lower powered and have not had a single run off. The side of the head is typically softer. If you feel around your own temple you'll see what I mean.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
I've shot several and I've had success with both side and frontal head shots. I was using .25 pellets at 49 fpe. Right above the eyes in the middle of the forehead will do the job, as well as between the eye and ear from the side, as mentioned. If there are beavers in the area, make sure you can tell the difference. It's illegal to shoot beavers in a lot of states. Nutria have orange/reddish teeth and a round tail, as opposed the the flat paddle tail of the beaver. If the nutria is swimming, you won't be able to see the tail. Have fun

I’ve been enlisted to help cull a nuisance population of Nutria. This is a new species for me. I’ll be using a .25 Benjamin Armada. I have no experience with these animals, and I’m not a fan of the “inhuman tuition” style of learning as I go.

Can they see red light?

What’s the ideal shot placement?

FPE recommendations?

Are they skittish? Fast? Slow? Dumb? Smart?

Please share any advice you got?
Reaching out to Louisiana airgunners like @Chris_Hoek may be helpful. He’s removed several nutria and posted videos.

Reactions: maxtrouble