Need advice about rangefinder

I use my golf laser rangefinders for both golf and hunting/pesting. I purchased used Leupold & Nikon models off of ebay for cheap.....ones with slope functions built in, under a hundred bucks each. These "name brand" models seem to be a hair more accurate in their readings or maybe more consistent than no name brands as friends I golf with and have both and the name brands are closer in yardage readings but only by a couple yard differences which is nothing in real world usage. So, if one is on a budget, the no name brand models will work just as well in my opinion.

Last edited:
I cheap out when I can. Not a rich guy. I've used a $60 Simmons rangefinder for 6 YEARS now. Hunting with friends who've spent a LOT more I find mine is as accurate as theirs. Draw your own conclusions.
I cheap out too when possible. I started out with a Simmons, though I paid more than your. It worked okay for large targets, but I could not get it to work on anything small, like birds. The Sig Sauer I now use, gives me consistently accurate readings of even a single bird at well past 100 yards distance. Maybe I got a bad Simmons.

I cheap out when I can. Not a rich guy. I've used a $60 Simmons rangefinder for 6 YEARS now. Hunting with friends who've spent a LOT more I find mine is as accurate as theirs. Draw your own conclusions.
Plenty of $60+/- finders at amazon . Kinda overwhelming .

Just read soecs , user reviews , return policy and choose .. i like the sold and shipped by amazon stuff vs 3ed party .

The amount of money you spend on one depends on what you expect one to do, unless you want to be disappointed. The size and angular dispersion of the laser module and it's optics is a major limiting factor in performance and price. Most, but not all "name brands" under 200 dollars or so are just cheap re-branded made in china stuff, short warranty and are throw aways if they fail. They work well enough for a lot of people, me included. If your use is shortish range , <200 yards, targets the size of a basketball and bigger, and in the open almost any will work once you get used to it. Start getting objects within a couple feet of line of sight, and the cheap ones start going south quick. If you have night vision gear, you would be surprised how large the laser spot is from the less expensive ones, talking several feet at 100 yards. I have a very old and cheap one and never really seriously considered replacing it, it's laser spot covers at least 4 feet at 100 yards. It does what I need it to do, but not one thing I want it to do beyond need, I only care about the need bit, or I would have replaced it ages ago. If I were to buy one to replace it, I would not look at anything that did not have a lifetime warranty, Vortex comes to mind. The time or two I looked in the last few years, there are just too many failures in the under 200 dollar range, so it is just money thrown away unless it fails in the short warranty.

Last time I was looking at them was several years ago, I gave up looking after reading about them. Only thing I would consider short of 500 dollars back then were a couple models Vortex made with lifetime no bs warranty. Back then I would have had to go north of 500 to get into other maker's that stood behind their product.

I cheap out too when possible. I started out with a Simmons, though I paid more than your. It worked okay for large targets, but I could not get it to work on anything small, like birds. The Sig Sauer I now use, gives me consistently accurate readings of even a single bird at well past 100 yards distance. Maybe I got a bad Simmons.
I also have a more expensive Simmons i got when I thought my 1st one was going bad (fixed it by re-soldering a wire). Calculates angle where my 1st one doesn't but I too can't get readings on certain stuff. Go figure. My cheapie is my go-to.

For air rifle I have the two pictured. Also a Leica 2400 that I hardly ever use that I bought for long range CF hole poking
2 in pic I bought off of Amazon TideWe has been more then fine for airrifle and my go to these days. It charges using USB-C and I charge it maybe once a month if that and I use it 3-5X a week $75.00
ATN is fine. Runs on batteries and cost $250.00
IMO spend the 75.00 on the TideWe 700 and don’t look back. Glass is super clear FYI
IMG_7856.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That tidwee brand like above was one i looked over when looking .. just so many ....🤤
Agreed.. I thought I would post to give first hand personal use experience from my perspective. I can’t speak to the longevity of it as I’ve only been using it about six months but I do like the fact that I don’t have to buy batteries, just plug it in every now and then and it works like a champ. I can’t believe how clear the glass is on it…unbelievably clear for $75.00

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
read reviews of all models , visit gun stores that will allow you to try out in their store if possible.
Over the years, I have owned several. mostly less expensive models
then tested a new then Swarovski Rangefinder Laser Guide 8×30 . It became my rangefinder for all my hunting (air guns and powder burners).
It was what I was looking for -it would range as close as 9 yrds.
I decided to spend the money then for a good one- and have not been dis-appointed.
Your choice
Good luck

My requirements for a range finder:

▪ Range birds with precision 70y and further
▪ Look good
▪ Cost $100 to $150 used

I have bought several
Bushnell Scout DX 1000 ARC
I liked their looks, they have been working well, and with some patience they can be bought on the bay for $70 and less.

Then I wanted something for longer ranges — with more sensitivity for my tiny targets — and with more magnification, and I started looking at the
SIG Sauer Kilo 1000 to 2400 series — now also mostly discontinued — which helps to lower the prices.
The Kilo 1600 cost around $120 used, and has a much brighter image — thanks to better glass.

I since have bought a Kilo 2000, but that is still en route.

Since I like the looks and prices of the SIG Kilo X000 line ➠ I have made a Specs Table for them. It helps everytime when one comes up for sale on the bay.
➠ Attached below.

Cheers,

Matthias

❌ Attachment Specs Table
RANGEFINDERS. SIG Sauer. Kilo 1000 to 2400 Models

View attachment RANGEFINDERS. SIG Sauer. Kilo 1000 to 2400 Models. 09.pdf

Last edited:
I had an old Leica 800 I bought ages ago for when I was in long range comps and the swat sniper at my department. It fell out of the top of my safe and landed on concrete. It wouldn't measure any more so I reached out to Leica and they said send it in and they would take a look at it. It was discontinued and unrepairable. They offered to let me trade it in toward a new model for a significant discount as they would be able to recycle the old one. I got a new 2400 for a song and dance. Leica has a customer for life from me. Excellent products that often range further than their model number with crystal clear glass. Buy once and cry tears of joy later when the company still takes care of you years down the road.

Reactions: ohiochuck