• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need advice about rangefinder

Ya, most are 600y or + rangefinders when at most with what i shoot is up to 100y . So not likely im going to range somthing outside that scope of things .. i eas interested in one before but i was hoping a budget 70$+/- one had a camera feature to take a snapshot of a rack i was shooting to go along with a grouping picture showing that detail.

Laying out my range and the racks and stuff i got a 325' harbor freight reel tape woth feet and meters . Just hooyone end to the shooting line and string it out 100y. Set my stuff and reel it in when done.

Reactions: beerthief
Laying out my range and the racks and stuff I got a 325' Harbor Freight reel tape with feet and meters. Just hang one end to the shooting line and string it out to 100y. Set my stuff and reel it in when done.

Yeah, it started out even more basic for me when I began shooting 100 yards:

➊ A string, 10 yards long, laid out 10 times, and I got my range pretty precise.

But like with everything, there is a RABBIT HOLE waiting just for you to fall into. 😱

After a while I thought this string thing was stupid, so I got the harbor freight reel tape (well, it was Stanley, since I can't get Harbor Freight down here in Peru).
Was much more efficient. 😊 But the neverending dust (and the cow poop) soiled the tape every time I used it.

So, DOWN I go: 😵
I bought a cheap laser range finder, used, for $60.

And then one day on one of my outings I forgot it. And I painfully realized just how important a rangefinder is for my type of shooting! 😳
➔ So, I bought a backup range finder to keep on the shelf (because in Peru, they sell the bargain barrel range finders as if they were made by Leupold or Leica).

➎ And then, one day, Miss Financial Ruin knocked on my door, dressed up as Mr. Opportunity: A much nicer range finder brand, SIG Sauer, was in some classifieds, for a really good price.
Bought it and — wow — spoiled my eyes with better glass. How clear, how bright the sight picture on the SIG!

➏ Down I go: Dreaming of extreme long range shooting, I bought what I justified (rationalized) as long range range finder. Yeah, probably more precise, nicer glass, brighter, all that. But the deeper I fall, the higher the prices go.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

➐ I have been able to withstand the lure of range finder binoculars.
For how much longer...?

Happy range finder shopping. 😊
⚠️ You have been warned.

Matthias

Yeah, it started out even more basic for me when I began shooting 100 yards:

➊ A string, 10 yards long, laid out 10 times, and I got my range pretty precise.

But like with everything, there is a RABBIT HOLE waiting just for you to fall into. 😱

After a while I thought this string thing was stupid, so I got the harbor freight reel tape (well, it was Stanley, since I can't get Harbor Freight down here in Peru).
Was much more efficient. 😊 But the neverending dust (and the cow poop) soiled the tape every time I used it.

So, DOWN I go: 😵
I bought a cheap laser range finder, used, for $60.

And then one day on one of my outings I forgot it. And I painfully realized just how important a rangefinder is for my type of shooting! 😳
➔ So, I bought a backup range finder to keep on the shelf (because in Peru, they sell the bargain barrel range finders as if they were made by Leupold or Leica).

➎ And then, one day, Miss Financial Ruin knocked on my door, dressed up as Mr. Opportunity: A much nicer range finder brand, SIG Sauer, was in some classifieds, for a really good price.
Bought it and — wow — spoiled my eyes with better glass. How clear, how bright the sight picture on the SIG!

➏ Down I go: Dreaming of extreme long range shooting, I bought what I justified (rationalized) as long range range finder. Yeah, probably more precise, nicer glass, brighter, all that. But the deeper I fall, the higher the prices go.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

➐ I have been able to withstand the lure of range finder binoculars.
For how much longer...?

Happy range finder shopping. 😊
⚠️ You have been warned.

Matthias
Ya the 325' makes the 50 or 100' tape silly . Just string it out the full 300' / 100y instead 50 or 100 put a spike in the ground drag up the 50/100' hook ot the stake string out again over and over..lol. The 325' is a one shot kill so to say..

But ya, if your shooting somewhere you fid not lay out and need to know the tange of a rsck to your equipment the rangfinder is the way to go.. like they my claim 103 y. But "your" finder shows 106 and thats what you use on your calibration using your finder.

Still for 60-80$ find the one you like and go for it . Id like to have one but in the end my need of it aint so great of need here at my home range .

I cheap out when I can. Not a rich guy. I've used a $60 Simmons rangefinder for 6 YEARS now. Hunting with friends who've spent a LOT more I find mine is as accurate as theirs. Draw your own conclusions.
I have a cheapie from Amazon Gogogo Sport $85, works and has some cool features that I'll never use.

just to throw it in the mix, i never used a range finder, just set my guns up to an ideal zero using a ballistics app ... but after getting an atn scope with built-in ballistics calc and their rangefinder that blue-tooths to the scope and real time adjusts the crosshairs for you ..i can vouch that its quite impressive and really flattens the curve out also adjusting for vertical angle and other factors automatically...it still takes time to range on targets though, so in a real world hunting/pesting application id probably never use a range finder by itself and twist turrets .. the atn setup is quite nifty though, albeit pricey ..

I have used many range finders. I have used Lica for the last six years. A bit pricey but the laser is exceptionally narrow and will pull a birds range on far side of a huge tree canapy with a basketball size window of opportunity where as my cheaper models just bounced the front of canapy. I guess its what fits your pocket book but thats my big reason.