• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need a reliable air supply system

I am new to PCP shooting and need an air supply. I have scuba in my area and have been looking at used Scott 4500 psi SCBA tanks on Ebay as they seem a reliable method at minimal investment / effort ratio. I'm clear about the 15 year expiration as well as 5 year testing requirements.

Is my approach a good one? Also, I would be very interested to learn about other member gun air supply methods and cost.

I use Nitrogen to fill my SCBA bottles then fill my guns from there until the Nitrogen tank gets down to 3000 psi.

Contact your local special gases company like Arc3 gases or welding supply company and see what they offer in your area.

You will need a filly assy for your SCBA tank and also a 6000 psi fill assy for the nitrogen bottle as your initial investment.

Just google " Nitrogen Airgun Nation" and you'll find tons of posts on the subject.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/i-just-scored-at-4500psi-45-min-air-tank-now-what/

Here's some vids.

https://youtu.be/0oRWnCgdpP0

https://youtu.be/ypyq-1MaSlc

https://youtu.be/vO8tkcvBffE

Good luck

Fuss

The more I read about the nitrogen 6000 psi rental bottles, the more I like them. While a home 4500 psi compressor works well, they are generally a bit noisy, take some maintenance, and you are always wondering when it's going to fail on you. Not to mention having to filter out all the water and oil vapor that comes out of these. It doesn't seem to matter if you spend $300 or $1500, none of the hobbyist compressors strike me as being Toyota reliable, based on user reviews.

I think when mine has a serious failure, will go with the rental nitrogen tank route...

Depending on how much shooting you do, a hand pump--either an expenisve Hill pump (200$) or Chinese knock-off ($40)--could work. Again, it's very need-specific. It works for me largely because I'm in an urban/suburban environment, and don't have the luxury of long shooting sessions. Even if I had a compressor or a scuba tank, though, I'd get a hand pump as a backup.

Nitrogen is attractive for many reasons but seems to be pretty location specific. Some areas seem to have readily available rentals and reasonable refills while some seem to lack such availability. The tanks are relatively heavy and not all that easy to move. I checked in to nitrogen when I first got a PCP and in my area it was not really a viable option. Others may have different experiences in their locality.

I am new to PCP shooting and need an air supply. I have scuba in my area and have been looking at used Scott 4500 psi SCBA tanks on Ebay as they seem a reliable method at minimal investment / effort ratio. I'm clear about the 15 year expiration as well as 5 year testing requirements.

Is my approach a good one? Also, I would be very interested to learn about other member gun air supply methods and cost.

You said that you have SCUBA in your area. Did you check or ask them if they can fill up to 4500 PSI? How much a fill will they be charging you? Do you have more than one SCUBA shop in your area that can fill up to 4500 PSI?

Your approach is an affordable one as far as buying a used SCBA tank but what happens when the life expectancy is up? You're gonna have to spring for a HPA compressor. Having a high pressure hand pump as a backup is a smart investment. 

I have three dive shops in my area within 5 to 10 minutes away from home. They all charge $3.00 to $3.50 per fill. The only problem about dive/scuba shops is that you won't always get the full 4500 psi fill unless the shop worker takes his time filling your tank or tops it off.

Having an HPA compressor is the ultimate freedom but they're not without their quirks. If you have the coin, it's best to invest in something like a Daystate/Coltri or Bauer compressor. You'll experience less problems compared to the cheap Chinese compressors that have recently come out.

If you do decide to get a compressor, routine maintenance and investing in a good water/moisture filter is a must. For the meantime, I have my tank filled at a dive shop. They provide breathable air without all the moisture. 

Depending on how much shooting you do, a hand pump--either an expenisve Hill pump (200$) or Chinese knock-off ($40)--could work. Again, it's very need-specific. It works for me largely because I'm in an urban/suburban environment, and don't have the luxury of long shooting sessions. Even if I had a compressor or a scuba tank, though, I'd get a hand pump as a backup.

Good for you! Everyone should have a "bug-out" hand pump in case you loose power for an extended period of time and need to eat a tree rat or take some high-speed beef (deer) to survive for the month.