Need a recommendation on a new rifle

Yo! Have you shot that sized group with an ASP personally? I've learned some reviewers seem to shoot better on video then in real life.

I have great accuracy with mine. Almost rivals my 97. I shoot 50 yards and under. It, for me, is a stellar performer. It took alot of time learning how to shoot it, but I can pick up that gun and head shot a small chipmunk at 45 yards without thinking twice. I've posted some of my targets here, but most of the ones I post are 25 yards as that is my most consistently shot distance.

I never cherry pick targets to post. I post what I shoot and my particular asp20 is dead on almost pellet in pellet if I do my job.

I have to admit, I got the asp20 after the hw97. I picked up the 97 with almost no airgun experience and was getting fantastic groups. It was a HUGE let down when I first started shooting the asp. Didn't seem particularly pellet sensitive, but I couldnt group well for anything. It hates wad cutters, but otherwise it shot everything else similarly. I forget how many pellets it took for me to realize the potential of this gun, but if I was somebody else I may have given up and stuck with the 97 which shoots spectacularly. After a few thousand rounds I was getting great groups, and I can "hang with the best of them" now. I have put well korth of 8,000 rounds down range with this gun and I still love it. If I am hunting its my asp20 or D48 all day long. The 97 has less power and, for me, is far to pretty to hunt with..

I dont keep targets or too many pics, but this one is when I was sighting in my new scope at 30 yards adjusting it and not taking my time 5 shots each. I'll look for other targets.

1596372414_1097391365f26b5be807211.77086296.jpg

You could check out Flying dragon Air rifles you can get a Xisco xs-25 sfb with a full tune for $185 and one of their rex scopes that would meet your spending limit.

I own one in .177 and one in .22 both with the full tune. They both are smooth and accurate shooters and I can say that Mike Melick does excellent work.

I know you are looking for a np power plant but It is worth a look 

You could check out Flying dragon Air rifles you can get a Xisco xs-25 sfb with a full tune for $185 and one of their rex scopes that would meet your spending limit.

I own one in .177 and one in .22 both with the full tune. They both are smooth and accurate shooters and I can say that Mike Melick does excellent work.

I know you are looking for a np power plant but It is worth a look

I always forget about them. I've been tempted to buy one to try it out. 

Y’all almost got me sold on this ASP. I swore I’d never try a magnum springer again but the groups are ridiculous. Prices are coming down a bit now too. I am very confused as to HOW they pulled it off. Of coarse I’d have the warranty voided within the first week.

It took alot of time to group with the asp, but it was worth the work and patience. I wish i took more pics of my targets....

What would you do to void it???

1596405806_11229281845f27382e862496.32477553.jpg
I use cheap dollar store index cards usually anymore which makes it easy. It harkens back to when I first got into buying and selling airguns a lot way back. Every gun i sold (firearms too) had all my notes and targets with them so the new owner could maybe save some time. This is just 2 guns so far this summer. I wish I could get out more often but weekends only lately. One folder per gun. 

Well I’ve a compulsion to tinker with things and “improve”. Rarely will I leave a gun alone. I’d probably take It apart at least to check out the internals and summer measurements. I have a hard time believing it’s not really well engineered on the inside with the tolerances. I mean everyone is saying it’s that accurate. Well imagine if I put the ASP barrel somehow on a Trail NP2 would the accuracy follow the barrel? I don’t think so but that’s just my guess. 

Well I’ve a compulsion to tinker with things and “improve”. Rarely will I leave a gun alone. I’d probably take It apart at least to check out the internals and summer measurements. I have a hard time believing it’s not really well engineered on the inside with the tolerances. I mean everyone is saying it’s that accurate. Well imagine if I put the ASP barrel somehow on a Trail NP2 would the accuracy follow the barrel? I don’t think so but that’s just my guess.

I'd love to find a way to reduce the trigger weight. It REALLY does not hinder the accuracy, but if it were lighter......

Why the difficulty in tightening groups? Also, I'm thinking .177 is flatter and longer range accurate.

What difficulty? My sig groups very well for me. I had tremendous difficulty "learning" how to shoot it. Too tight or too loose of a shoulder hold would vastly change POI for me. Now I can shoot it benched, standing, anything.

If you are referencing the above targets, they were rapid target aquisition while quickly zeroing my new scope at 30 yards. After i got the windage on those targets, i tinkered a little more. I was just happy with the results at 30 yards during a heavy storm without trying hard, so I took a pic of those 3 (the first 3 targets with the new scope--it was close to being centered already lol) to show to a coworker who is also an enthusiast. I dont take too many pictures or save any targets, so it's tough for me to dig up any photos. If i remember later I'll set up a target at 35 and see what I can do. May be hard since Ive been getting home at almost 9 every night since covid.

I always forget about them. I've been tempted to buy one to try it out.

well if you are in the market for a new springer you can't go wrong for the price. They are not mentioned as much as the higher end air rifles but I also haven't seen any complaints about a Xisco tuned by Mike. And if its not something you want to keep they seem to sell fast in the secondary market.

Y’all almost got me sold on this ASP. I swore I’d never try a magnum springer again but the groups are ridiculous. Prices are coming down a bit now too. I am very confused as to HOW they pulled it off. Of coarse I’d have the warranty voided within the first week.

The barrel wedge lock system is probably one reason for it's accuracy. I think the barrel quality and the sound suppressor on the end of the barrel probably aide in accuracy. It could be the larger diameter piston and it's shorter travel during firing. A piston that has a longer travel means more chance of muzzle movement before pellet leaves the barrel. Sig designed the ASP20 to have a larger volume of compressed air in a shorter stroke. I'd say that also contributes to it's accuracy. 

Do yourself a favor and save for a nicer rifle. You’ll be glad you did.

I agree. I have regretted budget guns, but never quality ones.

Also, don't be afraid to look for used rifles. Airguns might need to have seals or springs replaced occasionally, but they don't really 'wear out'. Many just get better with age. You can get a used higher end airgun near the price range of a new cheaper one, and have a way better shooter. (I have bought a couple from AGN classifieds and never regretted it.)

For $50 more, a Weihrauch HW30 will be light years better in quality and accuracy than almost anything in the price range. Later on, kit it up with a scope. You will then have a rifle that will last a lifetime. 

Though new to AGs, I too think HW are in the best guns group(I have a hw50 and a 97k); however, reviews of the ASP20 suggest its accuracy hangs with HW and at much longer distance. I like to challenge myself at distances of 50+yds, so the Sig ASP20 interests me. 'still trying to decide.