• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Need a .30 Maverick Expert! +/- 30FPS swings with for no apparent reason! TONS of data inside!

Have you tried replacing the external o'rings of the regulator for others just a little bit wider?

Have you lubricante with silicone grease the external o'ring of the regulator and all visible ones?

Have you confirmed no visible damage even Minor on the o'rings?
100%. Keep in mind, this just got back to me from FX. I have not even touched anything, settings, etc, haven't even spun the powerwheel. I was ensured this was not leaking and was thoroughly leak tested. A 2 second packaging tape-job over the bleeder hole of the front reg immediately showed leakage. Hopefully my video came through a few posts up.

Ok, update here for anyone following this thread.
Gun is coming back. FX is actually replacing the black delrin reg pistons with the new brass pistons they just came out with. The brass pistons have bigger channels allowing faster recharging, which may have played a part in my inconsistent velocities. Not sure if the community really knows about these new brass pistons, but I guess they're definitely a thing now for new FX guns.

Will update once I get it back. They are leak testing it for more than the required 48 hours this time. Should have it back in a week or two.

Warren,
Man, I am so sorry you have been through this with your Maverick. I had one of the original shipments of the Mavericks in 2021. Shortly after I experienced a design problem with the valve pin bushing detaching and causing a valve dump leak. FX said "wow, I have never seen one come all the way off the valve rod". They installed a new redesigned one @ N/C. My Maverick also did not come with the advertised "20 MOA top rail" Ha!, took 1 year before they had it in stock to send. They kept their word and sent me one N/C. All said and done my Maverick shot very consistently and accurately out to 100yds, day in and day out whether I had the .22 or .30 700mm barrel kits in. I do hope you receive a Maverick back that is what it should be, Wonderful.

Patrick

Reactions: AirShootist
Warren,
Man, I am so sorry you have been through this with your Maverick. I had one of the original shipments of the Mavericks in 2021. Shortly after I experienced a design problem with the valve pin bushing detaching and causing a valve dump leak. FX said "wow, I have never seen one come all the way off the valve rod". They installed a new redesigned one @ N/C. My Maverick also did not come with the advertised "20 MOA top rail" Ha!, took 1 year before they had it in stock to send. They kept their word and sent me one N/C. All said and done my Maverick shot very consistently and accurately out to 100yds, day in and day out whether I had the .22 or .30 700mm barrel kits in. I do hope you receive a Maverick back that is what it should be, Wonderful.

Patrick
Thanks, Patrick!

I think what I needed at this point is some well-wishing! So thank you! HAha.

My .22 Maverick Sniper is absolutely dialed. I just need my .30 to come back shooting consistently and not leaking. It's a coyote gun that I might take out in the cold for days at a time with no air source, so leaking is a big deal. Especially in the cold. Let's hope I can scalp a coyote with it this season on video, and if so, I will definitely be putting that up on the channel!

Fingers crossed. Both hands.

I have the Maverick .30 sniper and have been lucky thus far. Been out with it twice squirrel hunting since I got it. One thing I can add to this discussion is your ammo choice. FX hybrids are not effective at taking game. I’m pushing them at 980 fps and have already had two squirrels require second shots. One was a headshot that was ineffective. I used to praise the hybrids for hunting with my cricket 2 .25 but the .30 hybrids seem to break apart far worse than the smaller calibers. I’ve switched to hades at 890ish and the results are far more inspiring. For long range target shooting I’ll still sling hybrids but for hunting I need to know they’ll perform. I can’t imagine the hybrids doing well on coyote. The nsa slugs should be better but I can’t get consistent performance in my Maverick with them. Good luck and I hope your frustration is over soon.

I have the Maverick .30 sniper and have been lucky thus far. Been out with it twice squirrel hunting since I got it. One thing I can add to this discussion is your ammo choice. FX hybrids are not effective at taking game. I’m pushing them at 980 fps and have already had two squirrels require second shots. One was a headshot that was ineffective. I used to praise the hybrids for hunting with my cricket 2 .25 but the .30 hybrids seem to break apart far worse than the smaller calibers. I’ve switched to hades at 890ish and the results are far more inspiring. For long range target shooting I’ll still sling hybrids but for hunting I need to know they’ll perform. I can’t imagine the hybrids doing well on coyote. The nsa slugs should be better but I can’t get consistent performance in my Maverick with them. Good luck and I hope your frustration is over soon.
You're saying .30 Hybrids wont take a squirrel at 980FPS? I smoke squirrels with .22 hybrids all the time.

Not saying they won’t because I’ve killed 6 squirrels this season with them and I’ve killed many with both .22 and .25. What I’m saying is my short experience with the .30 hybrids is showing they’re breaking apart far worse than the smaller calibers. An imperfect shot is not as effective as the smaller hybrids at dropping them with one shot and would lead me to believe they would not be very effective on coyote. I’ve killed coyote with a .25 marauder slinging heavies and with hybrids in my cricket 2 .25. I won’t shoot one with my maverick using hybrids because I don’t believe they’ll give me a quick kill. I will shoot a coyote with .30 hades. Didn’t mean to derail the thread just wanted to give my experience and info for others to use when they head out to woods.

I still have no response and I sent them another email. And this is the 2nd time they sent it back still leaking. The consistency appears to be fixed, but I only chrono'd like 6 shots with it, so who knows. Either way, I can't have a leaking gun in the cold when I'm hunting coyotes - seals will shrink in the cold and the leak will become way worse, jeopardizing my hunts (especially if I am out for several days with no air fill source)

Here is video proof that the gun is still leaking, hopefully I am posting this correctly:
.30 Mav still leaking

I am still being pretty cool about this, although I am pretty damn frustrated. For full transparency here is the 2nd email I sent:

Hi,

Update here: The front vent hole leak sometimes temporarily stops after shooting about 5 shots out of it. However, when I go to refill my bottle, the leak starts again and does not stop until I fire a few shots. Then it randomly starts again. I am losing about 2-3 bar over night, which is less than before but still an obvious problem, especially since this will be used in cold weather. Also, if I remove the bottle, the front reg (and only the front) dumps all its pressure - not sure if that's OK since normally you need to dry fire a few times to get the regs to vent. I have not made any adjustments or checked the reg pressures. I think the tech said he either added or removed belleville washers on the front reg....so maybe this is the cause of the instant venting when the tank is removed? If he removed some washers, I did not receive them back. In any case, still definitely leaking. See attached video for undeniable proof of this.

Good news is that with the 6 shot string I fired, it seems the consistency has improved, but I didn't really shoot it very much:
1665066091676.png

The only improvement is seemingly the consistency. Gun still has the leak. I've never been so stressed out about a gun before.

Please advise what FX is going to do to make this right.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, the symptom you’re describing is characteristic of an O-ring that is too soft for the gap it is responsible for sealing. What happens is it extrudes into the gap and thins out and allows a tiny leak to develop. Cycling the regulator causes the O-ring to slide against the mating surface, producing a temporary reset where the leak will stop until the pressure again extrudes it to the point of leaking.

If the regulator’s O-rings are currently 70 durometer, the fix is likely as simple as bumping them up to 90 durometer.

that is very helpful - maybe the FX techs should take note.

My thinking on what this is, and I explained this very well to them, is the regulator housing. When I initially noticed this leak I removed the reg and started replacing all the orings. Then I noticed a tiny nick on the reg housing where it interfaces with that oring on the ID of the bottle adapter. So I polished the reg housing with some 3000 grit to a mirror shine. This polishing, however light, could have taken juuuuuuust enough diameter away to not get a good seal. That is my thinking anyway. I did purchase a new complete AMP regulator from them so maybe if they never reply I will just try putting that in, as well as a 90 duro oring as you suggest. One way or another I will get to the bottom of this, even if I have to service this in-warranty gun myself with parts I purchased on my own dime.

Thanks for your input! I'll keep everything updated here.

Last edited:
I am still being pretty cool about this, although I am pretty damn frustrated. For full transparency here is the 2nd email I sent:

Hi,

Update here: The front vent hole leak sometimes temporarily stops after shooting about 5 shots out of it. However, when I go to refill my bottle, the leak starts again and does not stop until I fire a few shots. Then it randomly starts again. I am losing about 2-3 bar over night, which is less than before but still an obvious problem, especially since this will be used in cold weather. Also, if I remove the bottle, the front reg (and only the front) dumps all its pressure - not sure if that's OK since normally you need to dry fire a few times to get the regs to vent. I have not made any adjustments or checked the reg pressures. I think the tech said he either added or removed belleville washers on the front reg....so maybe this is the cause of the instant venting when the tank is removed? If he removed some washers, I did not receive them back. In any case, still definitely leaking. See attached video for undeniable proof of this.

We also still have the issue of my gun being gouged up by FX - which was definitely not caused by shipping as I shipped it in a padded hard case. Looks like a tool mark. Seeing that huge gouge on there was equivalent to seeing a giant dent your car fender after taking it to the mechanic - and that is not OK.

There is also the matter of that spare plenum having defects that were present before it even went to anodizing - must have missed a QC check or two... I'll probably never use that part anyway, but still, I paid for it and it's not right.

Good news is that with the 6 shot string I fired, it seems the consistency has improved, but I didn't really shoot it very much:
View attachment 295254

The only improvement is seemingly the consistency. Gun still has the leak, was returned to me in beat up condition, and that spare plenum is not perfect (although I see now it's not actually on the sealing surface). I've never been so stressed out about a gun before.

Please advise what FX is going to do to make this right.
HI
Thanx for sharing updates ,still the service rendered is not upto the mark but at-least the velocity consistency has been restored in this regards still i am curious to know what supposedly fx has changed and what do you think was the issue ? secondly previously it was mentioned by yourself that you had put a teflon tape on the grub screw adjascent to the barrel screw , is it still there. 3. pls do check the velocity of the first 2 shots post making the gun sit idle for some time or post changing the magazine
for a new set , generally it is lower than the remaining shots under such conditions.
awaiting your reply