• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Necessary to have desiccant?

AEAC talked about this in one of his Vlog videos. He says that you don't need one if you live in a dry area, such as me living in the high desert of California. But if you live in a high humidity climate it would help prolong the life of your air cylinder and is recommended. Most compressors do not come with the desiccant filter, they are add ons you put in line with your air hoses. They can be purchased pretty easily. 

Humidity isn't the only concern or justification of some type of filter.

Almost all compressors also send oil down the HPA tube. I'd at least consider a cigarette type filter to catch that.

Will

This is a very good observation as well. Some compressors can be dirty. Never hurts to catch some oil and dirt. I choose not to worry about it, but it is an inexpensive option for a possible problem in the future. Damn I think I just talked myself in to an inline filter. Damn you Will! LOL

Hi,

I like dry air. I'm in sunny Florida at or near 100% RH most of the time :) I either use the dive shop to fill tanks or a Bauer dive compressor. Any breathing air compressor has a pressure maintaining valve and elaborate dryers to get the moisture out. (Evidently the breathing air dryers don't work well unless maintained at greater than 2000 psi or so.)

The debate rages on about moisture in HPA. I know how I feel when it comes to mixing moisture with dissimilar metals.

Just my opinion.

Enjoy,

Nugria

cyclonic coalescing tower. no dessicant needed 

DSC_0549.1603680512.1626903307.jpeg

I live in Maryland and I have the 12V portable pump. At first I did not use any oil/water separator or additional moisture removal measures since I was pumping indoors in my climate controlled house. But I noticed that at the end of the foster fitting, I literally could see droplets of water spewing out. It was so easy to see, I just put turn on the pump and put the foster fitting to spray air on the top of the pellet tin and watch as the water droplets condense on the metal. That's when I decided to use some sort of dessicant.