Name your best off the shelf PCP

.22 Taipan Mutant. It was the first of 12-15 or so to hit the USA. It didn’t even have a serial number. I told folks back then that it was the best, most accurate, with the best trigger of any PCP I’d yet put my hands on. Ugly stock (it was finished in a very dark stain) but oh so good. I told folks on here, AGN, that it was better than the .22 Daystate Air Wolf I had. A lot of folks got so ver upset, you’d have thought I slapped their momma!!!

.25 Daystate Red Wolf HP. Bought mine late August 2022 off the shelf, came in 3rd out of 110 shooters in Pro Class at EBR 2022 100Y BR. Off the shelf and onto the podium. Can’t beat that…. 🤪

Mike, I was kicking myself laughing as I saw your post.

I ordered a new Red Wolf HP .25 Safari two years ago, and sent it back with some accuracy issues. I just could not get it to shoot as good as it should at 50 and 100 yards. Steve (AoA) validated my concern and said I had a bad barrel and swapped my .25 barrel for a .22 HP barrel “per my request.”

In retrospect, I should have stayed with the .25 and MK1/ MK2 pellets for the 100 yard casual bench rest shooting I do. I also don’t think the MRDs do as well as the heavier and more stable 33g pellets, at least based on my experience shooting them at 100 yards.

Hmmmm, maybe another swap is in my future.

I would consider these my "best" in terms of durability, accuracy, and ergonomics for their intended purpose... all pretty equally "my best".

In order of acquisition...
Daystate Huntsman Mk2
Theoben Rapid Mk1
Daystate CRX St
USFT
Daystate Red Wolf
Daystate Wolverine R
EVOL Standard in 22 cal

All stone reliable and very accurate...
Bob

Last edited:
I've had many pcp's that have gone through my hands and if I had to guess, I would say 15 pcp's I once owned. I have about 5 right now that I may or may not keep. Out of everything I had, the one pcp that has never given me any problems right out of the box was my .177 huntsman classic. The only thing I did to the huntsman was add a Donny, scope, and regular cleaning. I gave it as a wedding gift to my sister and told her to this pcp will always be in the family. It will never be sold or traded, but can be gifted down within our family.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
My best off the shelf PCP(s) is my Daystate .22 Revere. Never needed any accessories, and I can’t tune it by turning the HST and Regulator. Daystate makes it difficult to do, probably by design. And, for me, this is a good thing. I also had the unregulated Daystate Regal XL bolt action and feel the same about owning it.

For 50 yards and under, it shoots the 15.89 and 18.1 very accurately. Great squirrel gun and also shoots from the bench well for these virtual AGN informal target challenges. It is my best looking, and easiest to shoulder air rifle.

Saw Bobby C’s recent post and I like the “order of acquisition” listing of rifles acquired, because for me I can relate to the journey.

Here’s my purchase sequence:

Daystate Regal XL .22
FX Royale 400 .22
RAW HM1000x .22 HP
Daystate Red Wolf HP Safari .22
HW100 .22 Laminate Carbine
Taipan Long .25
Daystate Revere .22
FX Boss .25

All reliable, very accurate. A slight edge goes to the Daystate Regal and Revere and FX Royale platforms in terms of being totally problem free.

Tom

I really like my Taipan standard 22. It just works in every way every time.

I have a .177 Wolverine that is my FT that works good for me. I just wish the check piece was adjustable. I can’t get the perfect scope height.

I have a 22 Paradigm that is great! I have it set up with a Athlon Ares and it fits me just about perfect. The rifle balances really good. I can shoot this one offhand better than any rifle I have owned. I struggled with the trigger at first but it adjusted really sweet and don’t think I could improve on the trigger now. I have emailed AAA a couple times now wishing I had one in .177 for my needs that would be the ultimate FT rig. The search would be over.

In the modern PCP market place there are very few rifles that you can purchase of the shelf without the need to spend a fortune accessorising them to bring them up to speed.Models that spring to mind are the Evol Paradigm, Edgun Lelya/R5M and Taipan Veterans. If you own one of these all you have to do is buy a scope, scope rings and ammunition and you good to go. Compare this to the FX brand, I own two and have gone down the rabbit hole of accessorising and getting the latest and greatest new thing to help you shoot better.I understand the application dictates what you add on i.e bench rest or hunting but I still feel more manufacturers are focussing on the aftermarket purchases at the expense of the actual rifle itself.

Please share your thoughts and let me know what your best off the shelf PCP is.
Honestly my Maverick VP 600 is dead stock, EXCEPT for a lower extended rail and a cocking handle. It is tuned to perfection for 25 and 32(??) pellets. NOT messing with it any more. My Maverick .25 sniper/.22 Compact is my messin' around gun, I'll probably leave it a .22, has same goodies as above. My Sapsan .22, we'll see. This barrel liked 22 gr slugs, maybe the new one will too, in that case, it'll be my only slug gun. UNLESS I do something REALLY STUPID and get another Maverick and really mess it up for slugs.