• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Name all the possible tunes that you could do to make a springer better.

Yes.#1 improvement. The trigger. Ya know I have this old "Tech Force 97" UL (underlever) springer.1990 era. It has a single stage trigger and after being well used it ain't bad for an old cheap chinese single stage trigger on an air-rifle. The trigger is still used to this day in the( Browning Leverage ) A 22 cal UL made by Shanghi somthin. I do have a Beeman R9 and it has a 2 stage trigger (titled the Record Trigger) and helps with accuracy substantially. If I were to have that trigger tweaked a bit it would be phenomenal. And thus my groups or hits would improve.

All things mentioned are great and will help. It is not just polishing it is remiving sharp edges and burrs. Polished against polished surface is not always a good thing, there needs a place for lubricant to be held. In a perfect scenerio a surface with slight grooves and ridges against a polished surface will give smoother and longer lasting results because those groves hold lubricant !! With no lube you end up with gaulding! 

One ofvthe most difficult things to do is getting the timming correct, that is the shot cycle, the time when the pellet leaves the barrel. If the piston reaches end of stroke to soon, before the pellet leaves, a cushion of air builds up and pushes the piston back creating loss of power and what is known as piston bounce, causing a harsh recoil. Just the opposite is a pellet leaving the barrel before the piston reaches end of stroke and the piston bottoms out with no air cushion then you have a piston slam, which is very harsh and can damage the seal in a short time. Normally a loss of power also. This is where weights and shims come into play. Generally...if the piston is bouncing then extra weight is needed up inside the piston in front of the spring. This is where the difference between a steel and a plastic top hat can make a difference. The added or reduced weight changes the inertia of the piston. If the piston is slamming home after the pellet leaves the barrel then the weight of the piston needs to be lighter, removing weight of piston or removing a steel top hat and using a plastic one. After that shims should be added at the base of the spring if more spring comoression is needed. Many of todays " tuning kits" have taken this into cinsiderstion for the average rifle of a particular model. When a custom, one of a kind, tune for your particular rifle takes place, the tuner will make the fine adjustments needed with weights and shims to get that perfect shot cycle. 

All things mentioned are great and will help. It is not just polishing it is remiving sharp edges and burrs. Polished against polished surface is not always a good thing, there needs a place for lubricant to be held. In a perfect scenerio a surface with slight grooves and ridges against a polished surface will give smoother and longer lasting results because those groves hold lubricant !! With no lube you end up with gaulding! 

One ofvthe most difficult things to do is getting the timming correct, that is the shot cycle, the time when the pellet leaves the barrel. If the piston reaches end of stroke to soon, before the pellet leaves, a cushion of air builds up and pushes the piston back creating loss of power and what is known as piston bounce, causing a harsh recoil. Just the opposite is a pellet leaving the barrel before the piston reaches end of stroke and the piston bottoms out with no air cushion then you have a piston slam, which is very harsh and can damage the seal in a short time. Normally a loss of power also. This is where weights and shims come into play. Generally...if the piston is bouncing then extra weight is needed up inside the piston in front of the spring. This is where the difference between a steel and a plastic top hat can make a difference. The added or reduced weight changes the inertia of the piston. If the piston is slamming home after the pellet leaves the barrel then the weight of the piston needs to be lighter, removing weight of piston or removing a steel top hat and using a plastic one. After that shims should be added at the base of the spring if more spring comoression is needed. Many of todays " tuning kits" have taken this into cinsiderstion for the average rifle of a particular model. When a custom, one of a kind, tune for your particular rifle takes place, the tuner will make the fine adjustments needed with weights and shims to get that perfect shot cycle.

Very helpful…thanks! +1

Can't one buy an airgun that doesn't need all that work done to make it "tuned"?

No rule that it cant be shot right out of the box... We Americans have a thing for getting our toys adjusted to suit our needs and then we want more !!! Faster car, faster boat, bigger diamond, bigger house, newer car etc...the list goes on. We shooters are always looking for ways to make our guns more accurate, more powerfull, perform better and look better. Tunning a springer is just part of making your rifle the best it can be !! There are many folks that just enjoy shooting and plink away straight out of the box....to each his own.....

Yes.#1 improvement. The trigger. Ya know I have this old "Tech Force 97" UL (underlever) springer.1990 era. It has a single stage trigger and after being well used it ain't bad for an old cheap chinese single stage trigger on an air-rifle. The trigger is still used to this day in the( Browning Leverage ) A 22 cal UL made by Shanghi somthin. I do have a Beeman R9 and it has a 2 stage trigger (titled the Record Trigger) and helps with accuracy substantially. If I were to have that trigger tweaked a bit it would be phenomenal. And thus my groups or hits would improve.

This, right here!!!

There is a hidden adjustment screw on the Rekord trigger mechanism. I have used it for over 40 years: Remove the trigger guard. You’ll find a flush mounted (was an Allen head but now star) set screw in a rocker arm on the forward end of trigger. Turn inward (clockwise) a couple minutes a time. (very firm to turn, almost snaps as it goes) Reinstall the trigger guard. Test. Keep going with this procedure until desired trigger is achieved. Turning the screw in to far will result in no sear to trigger engagement and can crack the rocker arm. Use caution, go slowly.

Rekord hides this adjustment screw for a reason: A trigger so light that it will not pass the “drop test” or even a “slamming barrel closed” test without discharge, can be achieved.

When ever I adjust the Rekord trigger to my liking I always: cock, hold back barrel, load, lightly close barrel, shoot. Do this over and over until confidence is achieved.

Please be careful.

Reactions: Shoothabreez
There is a hidden adjustment screw on the Rekord trigger mechanism. I have used it for over 40 years: Remove the trigger guard. You’ll find a flush mounted (was an Allen head but now star) set screw in a rocker arm on the forward end of trigger. Turn inward (clockwise) a couple minutes a time. (very firm to turn, almost snaps as it goes) Reinstall the trigger guard. Test. Keep going with this procedure until desired trigger is achieved. Turning the screw in to far will result in no sear to trigger engagement and can crack the rocker arm. Use caution, go slowly.

Rekord hides this adjustment screw for a reason: A trigger so light that it will not pass the “drop test” or even a “slamming barrel closed” test without discharge, can be achieved.

When ever I adjust the Rekord trigger to my liking I always: cock, hold back barrel, load, lightly close barrel, shoot. Do this over and over until confidence is achieved.

Please be careful.

Tutorial - Rekord Trigger adjustment - Bing video