• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Nailed A Nutter on My Way to Work

I saw what I thought was a fat fox squirrel while I was driving past a hickory tree. Turns out it was two cat squirrels frolicking around the base of some oaks by the time I pulled off the road and walked back. It was in the general area where old known den trees are. I knew a rancher was waiting on me but I pulled over anyhow, grabbed my truck gun, walked down the road, found a spot to kneel, and drew down on them. I was in a rush and was only able to bag one. The rancher called while I was searching for the carcass that had fallen into some briars around the base of the tree trunk I shot it off of.

I can imagine his face when I told him I was after a squirrel. He knows how I can get. Hopefully I’ll have an hour or two this evening to get some actual hunting in.

386C4108-4736-494C-B73E-6EF9D304E899.1641240764.jpeg

edited to add more photos and details

Two shots to the back. I didn’t know the first shot hit because it was still moving on the trunk. The second shot froze this sow and through my scope I watched her slowly fall backwards off the trunk and into the brush. The shots came quick. I wanted the other one too, but it got away. 

First time recovering a pellet from inside of a squirrel. It was beneath the skin. I think this is the second shot that hit the spine. After cleaning her i noticed blood in the thoracic cavity, but the heart looked good. One lung was dark and bloody so I’m pretty confident I hit one. In the abdominal cavity the liver and one kidney looked good. My fingers went numb pulling out the viscera, but the above is what I noticed

2CDDB9D2-400F-47B0-8C79-89638A1B528E.1641256406.jpeg

I was fighting sunset to clean her so I didn’t take as much time to go through her internals. I thought the that the recovered pellet looked interesting in the sense that it still appeared almost perfectly formed. There are scratches on the dome on one side likely from striking vertebrae. It was hard to capture some of the scratches on the dome in a close-up photo with my phone.

I keyed in on the rifling marks around the skirt. It’s as if the skirt barely flares out to catch the lands and grooves as opposed to how much I’ve seen pellets’ skirts flattened and indented after being shot from my Brocock and examined after recovery. I don’t know what this means but it caught my eye. I’m assuming maybe it’s because they have different barrels. I really don’t know. What I do know is that I typically don’t shoot .25 JSB King Diabolo 25.3 grain pellets (pictured below) out of my Brocock. I use King Heavies in it. I also assume that EDgun and Brocock use different barrels. Other than that I’m hoping some of you can chime in with an in-depth explanation on the short rifling marks on this pellet.
50B58342-1507-4DA5-A3DD-EEE450903B8E.1641256514.jpeg

Reactions: SteveinHNL
Nice shooting with a sweet Lelya! A .22 Lelya was my preferred truck gun for a couple seasons and put down many a squirrel and pigeon. 

I don't believe those squirrels were "frolicking" though. They almost certainly were secretly plotting against you; planning covert ops to take you out! Good thing you engaged them before they had a chance to attack. I'd stay on lookout for the one that got away tho.😝

I don't believe those squirrels were "frolicking" though. They almost certainly were secretly plotting against you; planning covert ops to take you out! Good thing you engaged them before they had a chance to attack. I'd stay on lookout for the one that got away tho.
1f61d.svg

They were frolicking indeed. Could be that mating season has begun. There’s no way they should have allowed me to walk out into that open space and kneel within 30 yards for a shot. I’ve seen them stay clear of the general area while I was 50 yards out and somewhat concealed and camouflaged in some brush within the vicinity of where this took place. 

Congrats and fine pics! Interesting setup you got. What's the accuracy distance on such a short barrel?

Not sure what you’re asking regarding “accuracy distance.” For me with my abilities my longest shot on a squirrel was 50 yards. Shooting paper my longest shots were around 65 yards and the groups were terrible. I’m not a great shot so you may want to research more in-depth answers your question. There’s plenty of info on this gun on AGN. The gun’s capable of 100 yard shots with decent accuracy to my understanding. I, on the other hand, am not. I hope I answered your question.