• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

N50 pellet cards at 50 and 100

thomasair

Manufacturer
Nov 6, 2016
Colorado, United States
Got to shoot some N50 cards at 50y and 100y yesterday. Was about 29 degrees and light variable wind. I scored the 100y cards as if they were N50, then also as if they were RMAC cards. The midway of the 9 ring on N50 cards are 10 ring on RMAC, and the 6 ring on the N50 is just a touch smaller than the RMAC 9….so it’s pretty easy to score that way. If you touch the 10 ring with a 22 pellet, it will likely score an x on the RMAC card.

50y cards were 250 20, and 250 22x.

The 100y cards were 233 6x and 224 3x scored as N50.

The 100y RMAC scores were 245 and about 11x and 243 with about 12x.

The unique thing about these cards is that I was shooting the 22 redesigned monsters at 880 fps. Reliable, accurate, and very predictable drift.

I also have 2 25 shot groups on the sighters in the first 100y card.

Mike

0AC81A21-741B-4234-BB89-3B64D40C7DB1.jpeg

06E2D631-309C-4DC5-B767-125FE82E0502.jpeg

0AB0FA2D-AE57-48B0-BA0F-3A11FA5D4AA3.jpeg

76E4A071-C865-4A72-8064-9AAB47DD1068.jpeg

Mike you mentioned that rifle is shooting great at 880 (there) and this brings up a question I’ve been meaning to ask you. So if that rifle is shooting great at 880 at your elevation of 5358‘ how would it shoot at my elevation of 909’? I don’t have a good understanding of what I would need to do to duplicate the same accuracy which that rifle had when it left your shop at a much higher elevation than I have here? If it arrived here with a lower or higher velocity would I need to tune it to achieve the same 880 FPS velocity or is it a matter of trial and error within a suggested speed range? Is there a formula that one could apply?

Not like Mike needs any positive reinforcement from the likes of me, but here goes anyways.

Some may look at the posts Mike makes with his rifles and the performance of them on target and think that he is only showing the very best hand picked examples of his shooting.
Let me tell you that such is not the case, as I found out for myself. Each and every one of the Thomas rifles are capable of that same stellar accuracy, albeit at different ranges depending on caliber and velocity settings.

MY most important takeaways from being a Thomas owner were-

1- LISTEN to the man who builds the rifles when he tells you something or recommends a certain procedure.

2- READ EVERYTHING that you possibly can that Mike and other owners have posted about shooting these rifles in competition.
There is a trove of valuable information hidden in those threads that comes up in general conversation about Thomas rifle performance, and ways to achieve your goal with one, which is tiny little groupings or 10 ring shots.

3- DO NOT think that you know better than the builder!
You can certainly deviate from his recommendations, but they SHOULD be your baseline against which all changes are to be judged.

I will now speak briefly about the sorting and lubing that gets kicked around every other week or so.
Firstly I would refer you to point #2 above, READ READ READ!
All the info and proof is out there for you to find on your own, and it is NOT BS, at least as far as I have found with my particular rifle. I sort and weigh for several rifles religiously, but IT IS NOT NECESSARY with my 12 ft. Lb. Thomas. A quick visual for gross defects and in the breech it goes. Assuming I do not pooch the shot, and read the wind right, they all lay right in where the crosshairs are resting.
Feel free to test that assertion, as I did, and realize that there is no benefit other than killing time that could be spent actually practicing.

Yeah, I am a fan of the platform, but the Thomas earned that spot be competing directly against 3 separate Steyr 110s, 2 RAWs, a Walther 300, Anschutz 2025, and Feinwerkbau 700 and 800 FT rifles.
I immediately sold the Walther, Anschutz, and FWBs because they could not make the cut against the Thomas, and kept the Steyrs and RAWs because of attachment alone.

Rambling essay over, enjoy your day and enjoy some trigger time!