• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N50 cards with new JTS Dead Center 25.39 pellets

I went to the range yesterday and shot for a few hours. It was raining and very windy, 13-26 mph wind gusts. I shot 22 and 30 side by side and what I came away with is that both calibers move, especially in strong wind. I shot all variants of MRDs, JTS, Old shallow base MRD, New MRD and FX offerings as well as 50 and 56 pellets. All of them moved but the 22's moved considerably more in 90* full value wind and with many more WTH was that kind of fliers. When the wind layed down all the 22s could print some nice tight groups but when the wind reared its head reading it was more challenging with 22s than 30s. I'm still playing with a tuner on the 30 so it's not dialed in yet but the heavier lead just seems more predictable in harsh conditions.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Tough shooting conditions…

13-26 mph wind gusts would blow my 40g rimfire ammo around too, let alone pellets. You had almost the worst possible weather conditions with rain and excessive wind. I guess it’s good to practice in wind, but that would be too much for most. I realize the major bench rest events have pretty high winds also, so totally understand Tim.

Too bad the weather condition’s weren’t different for your testing.

Tough shooting conditions…

13-26 mph wind gusts would blow my 40g rimfire ammo around too, let alone pellets. You had almost the worst possible weather conditions with rain and excessive wind. I guess it’s good to practice in wind, but that would be too much for most. I realize the major bench rest events have pretty high winds also, so totally understand Tim.

Too bad the weather condition’s weren’t different for your testing.
I compare shooting in the wind to driving on a wet road coarse. The instructors would say, you really need to learn to drive in the wet. Well.....no, you really don't. I wasn't a competitive driver, and I'm not a competitive shooter. Shooting in high winds doesn't carry the same risk, but maybe the mentality is similar. I'm not a competitor, so I don't perceive the need to shoot in high wind conditions.
I shot competitive BR years ago, RF and CF. My favorite response to, "how are you doing in this wind?"
"Well, I had a heck of a group until the second shot!"
I admire those who are able to effectively read the wind and shoot well in that condition. After participating and observing for over a half-century, I have decided that there are very few who can do it, in spite of forum posts and pictures to the contrary.

The 25gr do great at 75/50yd but fall apart before 100 and seems a lot of people have a similar experience. Ive tried 3 brands of .22 25gr and 4 different designs with similar and worse results. I did find a pellet my FX Crown likes though and will stack them at 100. Keep trying different stuff, thats the only way to know! PS- i have a bunch of 25gr for sale lol.

Thanks for the input folks.

Based on several others’ experiences ( and my own poor showing) using the JTS .22 caliber 25g pellets at 100y, I’m forming an opinion now that it may not be a suitable 100 yard pellet for my .22 RAW for now anyway. 50Y it was solid.
Tommy, I agree. They can be very accurate, even at 100Y in my .22 RW, but the flyers are more frequent than with the JSB RD Monsters.

Question on the "harder alloy"..

Could it be that it's not a harder alloy but rather just the depth of the shirt?

If the pellet has a shallow skirt, then your probe would push the pellet further into the leade or lands/grooves. A deep skirt would be pushed in less, giving the impression (or actual reality) that it requires less pressure on the cocking arm.

Question on the "harder alloy"..

Could it be that it's not a harder alloy but rather just the depth of the shirt?

If the pellet has a shallow skirt, then your probe would push the pellet further into the leade or lands/grooves. A deep skirt would be pushed in less, giving the impression (or actual reality) that it requires less pressure on the cocking arm.

See prior discussion on this topic, earlier in this thread. There is a noticeable harder pressure with the cocking lever using the JTS shallow skirts for the reason you mentioned.

I know this is an old thread, but I tried the JTS Deadcenter 25.39 today at my local outdoor range with the RAW HM1000x .22 caliber. Wind was 3-6 mph, with tail winds and R-L at times. I had 2 flags out, but I really stink reading the "darn stupid wind." Good, I feel better now. :) :)

I would take a few sighters, and then try and wait for a hold I thought I could read. You can see where I messed up. My bench alignment felt good, good trigger follow through, but those fliers surprised me. I would get in the '10' zone on some consistent bulls, and then ouch!

The rifle was it's normal accurate self, but about a half dozen bulls across the two N50 cards cost me a decent 240+ score. I circled the problem bulls on each card.

IMG_0593.jpg

Reactions: igolfat8