• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

N50 Cards with Anschutz 64 MPR and RAW HM1000x .22 HP

Got to my outdoor range today at 9:30, and it was cold and 40 degrees with some fog. Nobody but me at the entire range, and the wind was light at zero to 2 MPH. I had two rifles today, and wanted to test out some various .22 LR ammo with the Anschutz 64 MPR. I labeled the ammo on each of the '3' Anschutz cards that I shot, but I'm starting to like the Eley and Eley Match ammo. This rifle used to only shoot Lapua Center-X, but it did well today on all three cards.

IMG_4954.1639593698.jpg

IMG_4952.1639593748.jpg

Target Card # 3 was my best. More importantly, I discovered something that really helped my scoring. I did not realize but for a long time now, I was holding my butt stock into my shoulder much too light. I always start on the bottom row, from right to left and continue the same pattern on all rows. After a bad start with bull #'s 25, and 24; I decided to try and hold my butt stock more firmly into my shoulder. Not a death grip, just firm into my shoulder. All of a sudden, I started nailing 10's consistently. I'm not 100% sure about this being the fix, as I also used the Eley Match ammo which I know is pretty good. However, I think I am on to something here with the firm shoulder bit. I should add that I do use a good front rest and an Accu Tac BiPod. I realized that the .22 LRs do recoil a bit, and I think the light shoulder hold was hurting me. 

IMG_4942.1639594511.jpg

Last card of the day was going to be with the RAW. Wind was still light, so I shot a very solid 246 with the RAW and the JSB Redesigns.

IMG_4953.1639594313.jpg

image.1639657672.jpg
Well done Tommy! I’m also getting some random flyers that you can tell should have been better. I’ve never sorted or lubed, but stacking every advantage in your favor is a good idea, once I get more consistent at N50 I’ll definitely sort and lube. I also don’t single load and I understand that it’s more accurate to do it that way. This card was in a steady breeze that actually made it easy to read the wind. And when I shot number 24 the crosshairs were perfect and the shot was way off! Thanks for sharing your groups.

Thanks Dave!

Yeah, the fliers are part of the air gun shooting experience.

re. The Single load vs. magazine discussion. We’ve read a lot of posts where folks prefer / use SST vs. a magazine. I have mixed feelings on this topic based on my testing. I also recognize there are many different points of view on this.

As an example, my RAW seems to shoot more accurately with SST vs. magazine. My Safari using the newest DS magazine, seems to shoot about the same as with the SST, with regards to accuracy. My Taipan Long .25 shoots equally well with either the SST or the magazine. Some mags are very good like the HW100 and the Vet.

Also, I think some/most of the competition BR shooters use multiple mags vs. SST to take advantage of favorable wind calls. Maybe some will chime in on this.

All that said, I prefer using SST’s because it forces me to slow down. If I have five DS mags on the bench, I tend to shoot too fast. 

Tommy and Dave….I would spend more time learning how to care for your gun to keep it shooting its best. Learning when and how often to clean is extremely important. Even different solvents and methods can produce very different results. It’s a long term thing. Once you figure out what is the best for one gun….don’t get stuck in that groove and automatically believe that will be the best for all of your guns. It’s highly unlikely that it will be.

Of the top 5 scoring shooters in the N50 pellet class…only one does any kind of sorting. Myself, Lou, and Joe definitely don’t sort. We don’t sort because it’s a giant time suck and we have not found that we can sort away the troubled pellets. Some claim they can, but their scores are certainly no better than ours.

Keep in mind that 1 mph of wind will move your pellet .25 at 50y. Even with flags and a lot of experience shooting over them….it’s very difficult to see 1 mph of wind change. If you are not using flags or are not proficient in using them….you have no chance of detecting 1-2 mph wind velocity difference or angle change. You are simply shooting blind. You will get all kinds of shots that you will call flyers simply because you could not see the wind change. The game is all about seeing the wind and compensating for it. It’s also about knowing what conditions you cannot conquer consistently and having the restraint to avoid them. The latter will yield more fruit in the long run. 

Tommy….nobody is going to be consistently successful at N50 by shooting rapid fire. That is not a precision technique. 

Mike 

Fair points Mike. 

My RAW and Safari need several Gunzilla patchworm pull throughs after EVERY shooting session when I shoot 100 pellets and/or slugs. I know because my accuracy falls off enough that I know the barrel is dirty, as evidenced by a couple patches with several lead sediments. Both are Poly barrels and shoot higher velocities. 

Bobby C shot and tested the Safari extensively, and shot some low 230’s with 100 yard scores. Martin Rutterford did same with the RAW, a few times when I needed some work done.

Both barrels are solid and these two rifles are my best BR AG shooters.

I do wonder how many fliers are getting blamed because of pellets vs. wind. I hear ya on the wind reading. I think it’s fair to say opinions vary on the value of sizing, culling, sorting pellets. I don’t sort … yet. But, I’m willing to try it. My biggest problem is the time it will take,

Thanks for the advice Mike, I’m almost always shooting blind to be honest lol! When the wind is steady from one direction I can read it pretty successfully. It’s when it’s swirling and coming down the hill that I’m baffled.
It’s so amazing to see you guys scoring so high even in difficult wind conditions. I can see how subtle it gets, and how much there is to pay attention to for consistent excellent results! 
And I’m going to clean the barrel on my Rapid .20 because it’s been thousands of pellets since a cleaning. It still is crazy accurate but maybe it’s slipped a little bit and the cleaning will help. 
I bet you are right that I’m seeing a flyer, but it’s more than likely a mistake and not a flyer lol!

Good frustrating fun I gotta say!

Tommy, 

Some great advice given, will also add a little on the rimfire side. I let the rifle tell me what it wants as far as pressure points. You may think you have it one day and the next day not working so well so one will try another technique. What we all strive for is consistency and that's shooting a lot of rounds to get a handle of what's working.

Shoulder pressure has to be the same as well as palm swell pressure for each shot and that takes time and patience to get that feel especially in the heat of the moments. Remember you are pre-loading the bipod with how much shoulder you use. You made some great shots in a row and then wow why did that happen so the tendency is to get excited and your technique will falter by to much shoulder and to much pressure squeezed or vice versa. It is going to happen so just take a couple of deep breaths and continue on.

When I shoot factory rifles the palm swell is so critical on how you wrap your hand around it. Putting a death grip, to much downward thumb pressure all needs to be addressed. I do not wrap my thumb over that area to grip it just a nice hold, this allows the rifle to shoot nice and consistent. 

Hope this helps

Joe

What I would not give to have you all at my range, in person ( or yours ) for an hour or two of sharing tips and suggestions.

Mike - I probably should bring the Patchworm to the range. I normally wait until I get home to clean the barrel. But, it is probably getting dirty before I leave, so I’m just lazy.

Lou - I deploy two flags at 50 yards. One at 8 yards and the other at 33 yards. I have the Wick flags you sent, and I love them. I only wish I was a ‘flag whisperer.’ I have spoken to Mike N on the flag spacing at 50 yards. Also have a surveyor tape at the bench. 

Joe - I’m going to CALL you to talk through some shooting techniques. It’s better if we can talk live to understand your advice. 

Mike B - Great advice always!

Again, Thank You all for the help guys!

I hope others are watching or reading, as I think this advice helps a community. 

This is a great thread. I've never formally shot benchrest, but due to unforseen circumstances in life (pipeline came through on the neighbor and I talked them into a nice berm) I now have my own real range. Years back I sent my martini/unertl to dad and he shot br50 with it with much success. I have that back, and will be playing with my air guns and my .22 powders on the bench. I only have a Akela in .177, its new to me and shows promise so far.

I shot PPC and high power in the late 90's through 02, then got too busy with work to travel and shoot, retired from the pd where I was a reserve and range guy for 26 yrs so having a place to safely shoot at homes a dream come true. Competition now means shooting when I want and gauging myself against other posted scores. Or GTA style postals :) 

Ill keep lurking and reading. Thought I should just pipe up and say thanks for sharing what's in this thread.

Mark Hogan