• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

N50 Cards with Anschutz 1907 .22 LR and RAW HM1000x .22 HP

I got out this morning and set up at 9:30am local time. Weather Channel had the wind at 12 mph from the Southwest. Benches were pretty full, so I didn't deploy my two Wicks flags for fear of groans from the gallery. 

I took my Anschutz 1907 .22 LR ( 54 action ) and two boxes of RWS 50 40g ammo, which it likes very much! Today, I wanted to try and shoot it without the tuner and see how it would do. Surprisingly, there was not much difference from prior N50 scores using the tuner, but today it did shoot well. I had a pretty good read on the wind, and patiently waited for it to settle down at the bench ( flags there ), before I would take a shot. My 1907 is a single load only rifle ( no mag ), but I did shoot with some pace.

Here are the "3" cards with the Anschutz:

IMG_4892.1638815212.jpg

Next up, I took out the RAW HM1000x .22 HP, using JSB 25g redesigns. Only shot one card, but it did well also, once I figured out the wind.

IMG_4891.1638815286.jpg

Have to say, I do enjoy shooting the N50 cards immensely. The range owner is cranky ( and, this is on his best day ) and I understand he used to run matches early on and gave up because of all of the gripes and complaints.

Anyone reading this from NC, if you ever decide to hold an N50 match, please let me know as I would like to travel to your range and have some fun.

Tom 

Hot diggity Tom, that's some fine shooting. Maybe we'll have some good weather/low wind days this spring and you can come to Campfussell and show me some tricks to the trade.

My Thomas should be back from rejuvenation in a day or two. Supposed to be slinging the 16.2 grain .177's at 875 ish. Plan on trying some N50 cards with her. Gotta be a day or night of low wind to get me motivated though. I'll be happy just to break a 230 score in .177.

Nice shooting Tommy! This is so much fun, N50 is becoming my favorite shooting session. Let’s keep posting our attempts, it’s really fun to see how others are doing. I always check the bench rest and long distance shooting part of the forum first with morning coffee. But we have stiff competition in these folks who have the Thomas rifles lol! I plan on owning one myself as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing your cards!

Thanks Dave!

I also like seeing the various posts & the equipment used; and the background for the shooting sessions. I have a whole new respect for some of those who shoot consistently high scores. 

When I first started shooting BR for score, I used to continuously re-zero based on prior errant shots, thinking I would get higher ring scores. So, if I had a shot hit the seven ring, I would adjust my windage to try and get closer to my 10 ring. It was like chasing a ghost since I was spending a lot of time adjusting elevation and windage based on prior errant shots. 

Over time, I learned to zero at 50, and then just leave it alone. I now deploy flags and look for certain wind conditions, and just use holds to try and get 10’s. It’s rare if I can use the same exact hold when shooting 25 bulls on a card. 

This is what makes it so challenging for me.