• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N50 at 100 “In The Rings” Slug Challenge

Couple try's today. One good, one ok. Shot the bottom set left to right first. Didn't like the vertical and adjusted tuner out .010". Readjusted scope....then shot the good one on top... right to left.

Mike
IMG_2078.jpeg

Couple try's today. One good, one ok. Shot the bottom set left to right first. Didn't like the vertical and adjusted tuner out .010". Readjusted scope....then shot the good one on top... right to left.

Mike View attachment 416217

Mike, what would you guess is the reason the vertical is worse in the 2nd target?

For me...the best tuner setting at 50 has never been the best at 100. That seems to prove that Calfees "stopped muzzle" theory is incorrect. It does bolster the positive compensation theory, though.

In the past I've read about positive compensation. My understanding isn't exactly clear about the subject but I know that those champions in 600Y and 1000Y BR tune at those specific distances separately. At 1000Y they can tune their load from 4"-6" vertical, which is still great, however sometimes down to 3"- 4".
Scaled down - not unlike your groups.

Yes...it is essentially timing the exit of the bullet to occur as the upswing of the barrel is taking place. Slower shots will happen at a higher point in the upswing and faster shots in a lower point....with the convergence at the target amounting to less vertical than can be had with a stopped muzzle and a good velocity spread.

Air guns can adjust speed up and down easily....although adjusting speed up and down with the hammer will also change the pre firing vibration pattern which can also affect the vertical. Using the jet to alter speed is a better way as the strike stays the same.

Mike

Got out yesterday.

Shot an N50 card at 100 yards with the Anschutz 1907. Left my Tuner metric wrench home, so could not use it. I tried the Eley 40g Tenex ammo and the Lapua Super Long Range. This rifle was made for the RWS 50 and RWS 100 ammo, but the Tenex and Lapua did not do bad either.

Wind was calm, and shot the lower row first and then shot the top row - 2275. Bull #2 on the top row was my best 100Y bull yet, and was very small hole. I had some uncharacteristic misses in the bottom row with this rifle, and struggled with some misses (3). No complaints, but the '2500 score' is becoming harder and harder to achieve.

I do like the nice round holes of the 40G bullets on this card.

IMG_0452.jpg

Looks good, Tommy. Nice group!

Looks like about a 30$ bunch of holes. 😀

Mike
Thanks.

Pretty close to $30! 😀

Started out with two full boxes of 50 rounds each, and only about 10 bullets left after I was finished, including a couple of small groups on a lower target ( not shown). Don’t get as frustrated as I do shooting pellets at 100y, but you pay dearly for the temporary euphoria.

Yes...it is essentially timing the exit of the bullet to occur as the upswing of the barrel is taking place. Slower shots will happen at a higher point in the upswing and faster shots in a lower point....with the convergence at the target amounting to less vertical than can be had with a stopped muzzle and a good velocity spread.

Air guns can adjust speed up and down easily....although adjusting speed up and down with the hammer will also change the pre firing vibration pattern which can also affect the vertical. Using the jet to alter speed is a better way as the strike stays the same.

Mike

Thanks for the explanation.

So would a tensioned barrel be considered a "stopped muzzle"?

On my ancient;) Thomas HPX/S - is it better to play with hammer tension or jet size to get tuned in for 100Y? I ask because the last couple times I shot the N50@100Y I didn't get the lower vertical I did on my 2nd attempt, and I hadn't changed anything yet, well except I did make up some fresh slugs.
This was in spite of trying a few things once I saw the vertical fall apart, like with my rest set up, weighting my table more, and slightly changing the HS.

I suppose I should experiment with both HS and jet size. Oh and how many .001's should I shorten or lengthen the jets?

Thanks for the explanation.

So would a tensioned barrel be considered a "stopped muzzle"?

On my ancient;) Thomas HPX/S - is it better to play with hammer tension or jet size to get tuned in for 100Y? I ask because the last couple times I shot the N50@100Y I didn't get the lower vertical I did on my 2nd attempt, and I hadn't changed anything yet, well except I did make up some fresh slugs.
This was in spite of trying a few things once I saw the vertical fall apart, like with my rest set up, weighting my table more, and slightly changing the HS.

I suppose I should experiment with both HS and jet size. Oh and how many .001's should I shorten or lengthen the jets?
I would begin by visually comparing your old slugs vs your newly pressed slugs. When looking for a solution to a new problem you must always start with what has changed since the last success. The answer is there. 😀

Mike

Btw...a tensioned barrel is not a stopped muzzle.

The stopped muzzle as described by Bill Calfee is done by applying a tuner weight beyond the muzzle to fool the barrel into thinking it is longer. If you hold on to any barrel and tap it with a hammer...you will find that to make it ring you must hold it in a particular place. That place will always be more near the end of the barrel. It rings nicely at this place because the barrel is not moving in this particular place so your finger pressure does not damp the ringing. Adding an extension of controlled length (tuner) to the barrel moves the "stopped" point to the muzzle. That's the theory, anyway.

Mike

Reactions: steve123
Here are a couple unique ones due to the projectile used. These are 34 gr jumbo beast 22s. Been hoping to get these to work well for years now.

I'd say a 2225 and a 2200.
View attachment 416870View attachment 416871
Mike
@thomasair , Mike were these shot with your slug or pellet barrel? I assume it’s a slug barrel and if so, any luck shooting these in a pellet barrel? I just picked up a couple tins today to try in my pellet barrel HPX.

View attachment 197361Such good shooting you guys! I’m really looking forward to trying this. I just got notification that my RedWolf is arriving tomorrow. I’ve got a scope all ready for it, and hopefully the weather will change soon. It’s been around zero degrees here with heavy wind. Ha ha I’m already making excuses for my first attempts. My first shooting is going to be at 50 yards at N50 targets, the 100 yard shooting is a ways off because my 100 yard target is way uphill and there’s snow over rockslide to get there! You can barely see my 50 yard target, it’s uphill and to the left of the group of four N50 targets which are at 35 yards from my shooting window.
IF my house was 1/2 way up that slope / that is my range, on a slope leading down to the 70 foot cliff drop to the lake . Slippery slope indeed .