• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N50 at 100 “In The Rings” Slug Challenge

I guess my current thinking from reading the recent posts, and the overall lack of AG and RF 100y bench rest enthusiasts participating over 21 months, is that it’s too difficult as currently structured. There are just not enough 1/2 or 1 MOA airguns available.

But, I’m still going to participate, even if mostly with my Annie’s.

Today I tried several, I mean several times shooting the N50 at 100 challenge and I just could not put all the shots inside the boxes.
Pellets were all over the place.
I will still keep on trying next time I go to the range.
I am known for being very stubborn and a hard head so this will not beat me until I keep all the shots inside the box and at least 50% in the rings.
We will see how it goes 🤣🤣

Today I tried several, I mean several times shooting the N50 at 100 challenge and I just could not put all the shots inside the boxes.
Pellets were all over the place.
I will still keep on trying next time I go to the range.
I am known for being very stubborn and a hard head so this will not beat me until I keep all the shots inside the box and at least 50% in the rings.
We will see how it goes 🤣🤣

Hey Jeff - I am the same. Extremely hard headed, and stubborn when it comes to Benchrest.

Like Mike says, use your long range slug air rifles for this if you can.

BTW - you are not alone!

Reactions: jeffhernandez
My first try with this set up at 100Y on a N50.

Found a really heavy and stout table at a 2nd hand store last week, it weighs about 70 pounds!
BIG difference in stability compared to prone or my previous wobbly WorkX folding table.
The one piece benchrest also helps stability a bunch.

This card was shot top row starting left and moving right then the next row starting right and moving left.
Farthest out I aimed was around 2.5" from center.

I had just mounted the scope so I wasted a great "wind window" getting sighted in while it was calm. Then 2-4 mph at the start of practice and basically 1.5-2 mph increase every 15 minutes. At least it wasn't switchy like I normally have to deal with.
I started with one flag at 50Y which went well until the end of the 2nd from left topmost bull/ and I began hitting way left(bull 18 and one hole went into 23) then I went and put another flag at 10Y which helped a lot and learning as I went even though the wind steadily increased. Bulls 3 and 4 were shot one after the other.
I think I went off reg on the low shot because it had been a while since the last time I filled, I also shot a 6th shot on that bull after I filled.
My 4500 psi tank was down to 3200 psi by then so I hooked the air to the reservoir on gun tethered and shot the rest of the line.

Mike converted my HPX-S to shoot his swaged 42 grain 22 cal slugs at 840 fps in 2022 but I swaged these myself at home last spring.
It was fun. I'll play around with N50 at 100Y when I get calmish days if its not too cold out.
20231204_111858.jpg
20231204_124121.jpg

Steve - Phenomenal, especially with your very first attempt.

I think having a very solid bench table helps us all with better bench rest scores. I am thinking of bringing a padded cut piece of rug with me to the range next outing, to place under my AccuTac BiPod and rear Protektor bag. I sense I am sliding at times on the cement bench table, which is thru bolted into a cement floor. The bench itself is very solid, but I’m sliding on the table. I am also considering a one piece rest at some point.

You should score both of these attempts, but I quickly scanned and you are in the 1800-2025 range approximately with each card. The scoring rules are in Mike’s very first post, February 2022.

I do like the wood stock, and I can’t tell if you have a trigger or are you using a mouse?

Those 40g slugs in .22 caliber help considerably.

Way to go buddy!

Tom

Steve - Phenomenal, especially with your very first attempt.

I think having a very solid bench table helps us all with better bench rest scores. I am thinking of bringing a padded cut piece of rug with me to the range next outing, to place under my AccuTac BiPod and rear Protektor bag. I sense I am sliding at times on the cement bench table, which is thru bolted into a cement floor. The bench itself is very solid, but I’m sliding on the table. I am also considering a one piece rest at some point.

You should score both of these attempts, but I quickly scanned and you are in the 1800-2025 range approximately with each card. The scoring rules are in Mike’s very first post, February 2022.

I do like the wood stock, and I can’t tell if you have a trigger or are you using a mouse?

Those 40g slugs in .22 caliber help considerably.

Way to go buddy!

Tom
Thanks for the encouragement Tom! It was HUGE getting my new bench. Now I know why I gave up trying N50 back when I originally posted when the shots were all over the place before.

Yeah try different things to see if they help consistency. I'm going to also.

I didn't bother scoring but if I get a decent score later I will then.

This HPX has his regular trigger. It's 4 oz or so.

I'm always amazed how much a 10 mph full value wind blows these .142BC slugs. Starting at 2 mph and ending at 8-10 is quite a revelation. Half the time I don't know where to aim into the wind.

Thanks for the encouragement Tom! It was HUGE getting my new bench. Now I know why I gave up trying N50 back when I originally posted when the shots were all over the place before.

Yeah try different things to see if they help consistency. I'm going to also.

I didn't bother scoring but if I get a decent score later I will then.

This HPX has his regular trigger. It's 4 oz or so.

I'm always amazed how much a 10 mph full value wind blows these .142BC slugs. Starting at 2 mph and ending at 8-10 is quite a revelation. Half the time I don't know where to aim into the wind.

Steve…you can shoot sighters. It’s not part of the game to use no sighters. Take all you want.

Except for the one low shot, the vertical is not bad.

Mike

Reactions: steve123
Oh ok Mike. I hadn't gone back to make sure. Before now I thought it was 25 consecutive shots in row.

That 25 consecutive was part of my "airguns that AVERAGE 100 yards MOA" post elsewhere, which came up in discussion here.

As a hunter/pester and field target shooter, I place a high value on the consecutive shot (no sighters during "counted shots") concept, but it's s certainly not an idea the true benchresters appreciate.

I caught a great day and braved the cold by starting to get ready at 7:30 AM at 31 degres. Nearly calm, only 1-3 mph from right to left for the first three matches but the last match it totally switched for all of it.
The lowest target was the bottom row from yesterday that hadn't been shot yet.

This morning I noticed the gun doesn't come back to rest in the exact same place every time, only occasionally but.... so I have to adjust the crosshairs back again.
I also noticed the gun slides back much farther sometimes vs the usual. Like 3/4" vs 1/4.
And there is a tiny bit a wobble going on I can see when I touch the bench or gun very lightly. I put 50 or so pounds of lead on the bench which didn't seem to help. I'll put more lead on before next time and might have to consider bracing the bench with angles of 2x6's.
Lastly on the highest left shot I put a slug in backwards so I had to take the rear of the rifle up, fire it into my backstop, and put the rifle back, then ugg look what happened. The other high left shot was when I pushed the gun forward too hard causing the crosshairs to have to be adjusted differently than previously.
I'm continuing to learn as I go though.

Darn I'm running out of slugs, lol, time to get with it and make more.

I scored top to bottom.

20231205_091211.jpg

Last edited:
That 25 consecutive was part of my "airguns that AVERAGE 100 yards MOA" post elsewhere, which came up in discussion here.

As a hunter/pester and field target shooter, I place a high value on the consecutive shot (no sighters during "counted shots") concept, but it's s certainly not an idea the true benchresters appreciate.

Ah that's where I got it then.

It's gonna be tough to find a morning as calm as this one was!~ But next time sighters will happen.

I caught a great day and braved the cold by starting to get ready at 7:30 AM at 31 degres. Nearly calm, only 1-3 mph from right to left for the first three matches but the last match it totally switched for all of it.
The lowest target was the bottom row from yesterday that hadn't been shot yet.

This morning I noticed the gun doesn't come back to rest in the exact same place every time, only occasionally but.... so I have to adjust the crosshairs back again.
I also noticed the gun slides back much farther sometimes vs the usual. Like 3/4" vs 1/4.
And there is a tiny bit a wobble going on I can see when I tough the bench or gun very lightly. I put 50 or so pounds of lead on the bench which didn't seem to help. I'll put more lead on before next time and might have to consider bracing the bench with angles of 2x6's.
Lastly on the highest left shot I put a slug in backwards so I had to take the rear of the rifle up, fire it into my backstop, and put the rifle back, then ugg look what happened. The other high left shot was when I pushed the gun forward too hard causing the crosshairs to have to be adjusted differently than previously.
I'm continuing to learn as I go though.

Darn I'm running out of slugs, lol, time to get with it and make more.

I scored top to bottom.

View attachment 412561
Those look great Steve. Keep working on your setup. The devil is in the details.

Mike

Those look great Steve. Keep working on your setup. The devil is in the details.

Mike

Boy, is that ever true. “Devil is in the details.”

Steve - These are vg scores with your Thomas AG shooting slugs. Hopefully, we might see some others post some cards with their slug guns.

My EVOL Paradigm was built for the 44g pellet, and did not shoot well at 100y. AoA is working on it currently under warranty, but I need to experiment with it trying some slug brands and various weights for this challenge.

Boy, is that ever true. “Devil is in the details.”

Steve - These are vg scores with your Thomas AG shooting slugs. Hopefully, we might see some others post some cards with their slug guns.

My EVOL Paradigm was built for the 44g pellet, and did not shoot well at 100y. AoA is working on it currently under warranty, but I need to experiment with it trying some slug brands and various weights for this challenge.
The EVOL I had for a while shot average compared to most of the other pcp pellet guns I've had.

As set up for pellets this HPX did fantastic except for the huge flyers from those latter MRD's. Mike had given me a couple of great shooting tins when I got this gun which shot well and then when I bought different tins shortly after the flyers started. It was in the time frame when JSB started changing the design of the MRD's. I was shooting the RMAC 100Y BR and had one pellet hit 6" low and left from one bull and another 5" away. Hard to even keep them in the 9 ring. I even sorted them. BTW same one peice rest I have now. That was the last straw. Just too frustrating.

That's why I changed over to these slugs. At least these swaged slugs are consistent.

The EVOL I had for a while shot average compared to most of the other pcp pellet guns I've had.

As set up for pellets this HPX did fantastic except for the huge flyers from those latter MRD's. Mike had given me a couple of great shooting tins when I got this gun which shot well and then when I bought different tins shortly after the flyers started. It was in the time frame when JSB started changing the design of the MRD's. I was shooting the RMAC 100Y BR and had one pellet hit 6" low and left from one bull and another 5" away. Hard to even keep them in the 9 ring. I even sorted them. BTW same one peice rest I have now. That was the last straw. Just too frustrating.

That's why I changed over to these slugs. At least these swaged slugs are consistent.

Steve

Mike also shot his gun with the JTS 25.39g pellets and posted a couple N50 cards. Not sure if you tried them or not at 100y. I recall he had good luck, but I think it was at 50y.

My RAW HM1000x .22 HP shot them well at 50Y, but not good at 100y at 960 FPS.

Reactions: steve123
I tried to shoot N50@100 yesterday morning. 21 degrees out. It didn't go well. I noticed there was a little play in my rest so I hunted around for the source of the problem. The large screw at the front of my rest had worked loose slightly so I tightened it. Now the gun goes back to where the crosshair was before most of the time. I also experimented with tension on the spring loaded plunger that holds the front of the stock.

I was out of the slugs I shot the previous matches with but I had some older slugs that have lived in my truck for much of the year so I tried them. Maybe they got jostled too much because I couldn't get good groups???

Might have been too cold also, I don't know.

I'll make some more slugs and try again when a good day comes again.

Reactions: tommyb