• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

N50 at 100 “In The Rings” Slug Challenge

Tommy….you are 100% correct. N50 shooters on the whole don’t care about 100y shooting.

If someone ever decides that 100y airgun Benchrest is worth the effort to put on a real tournament….then maybe some would start to participate. For now, it’s just one card fun shoots. One card fun shoots generally don’t attract dedicated BR shooters….which is probably a good thing for the fun shooters.

Mike

Tommy….you are 100% correct. N50 shooters on the whole don’t care about 100y shooting.

If someone ever decides that 100y airgun Benchrest is worth the effort to put on a real tournament….then maybe some would start to participate. For now, it’s just one card fun shoots. One card fun shoots generally don’t attract dedicated BR shooters….which is probably a good thing for the fun shooters.

Mike

Re. N50 shooters and 100 yard shooting - I have been wondering why they haven’t joined in on the thread, but you confirmed my suspicions. Too bad really, I would have loved to have seen how some of them would perform. I get it though.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I would classify myself as a ‘fun’ BR shooter.

If any of the regular competition 100 yard bench rest shooters tried the ‘slugs in the rings’ 100 yard challenge, there would be some pretty good scores with air rifles. I would like to see the scoring differences between pellets and slugs. I know slugs would be higher, but to see the actual scores would be great. It is a fun shoot, with creative scoring rules, so perhaps that’s also why they don’t participate.

I keep hoping our dialogues on the thread might inspire some interest.

Shucks, I have enough trouble shooting consistently inside the rings at 50Y. I tried 100Y late last fall and it was fugly. I will try it again though when the weather cooperates.

I was at the range a few days ago sighting in my RF for ARA and our club president showed up with a .22 Avenger sighting it in for N50. It was encouraging to see another airgun at our range. He was using JSB 18’s and shooting some very nice groups.

Last edited:
"Slugs in the Rings" 100 yard is reborn!

Here is my commercial:

Mike N - Want to see a couple of cards from you, so we can get this baby going again! Now that we have a lot more HPX's shooting 40G slugs and N50 matches, FX Pantheras, BRKs, the new FX King announced; let's see some folks shooting some of these N50 cards at 100 yards. Or, do like I do and put your air rifles away, and just shoot your Rimfires. Doesn't matter, but I know there are some long range Air Rifle shooters that would find this irresistible. Franklink - how about it? N50 shooters - give it a try. See how those Pro- class and Sportsman class guns do at 100 yards. OK, off my stump!

Have not done this in a while, but I truly enjoyed it today.

Rifle: Anschutz 64 MPR .22 LR - 64 Action
Scope: Sightron S-TAC 4X20X59 2FP
Distance: 100 yards
Flags: Two
Ammo: Lapua Super Long Range, Eley Tenex - 40G
Wind: Light, 1-2 MPH

I shot the equivalent of "four" cards today, which is four rows of 5 bulls for each row. The 'one and only' 2500 perfect score I have ever shot for this challenge, was with the Anschutz 1907 .22 LR single load match rifle - 54 Action. Today, I shot the Anschutz 64 MPR.

Bottom row was my best. Bull #24 needs an explanation. I was looking through my scope and could not tell that I had already shot 5 shots, when I shot a sixth, which was outside the rings. Since I am judge and jury, I decided to not count that shot because I am older and should have a 'permanent Senior Pass.'
Shot a 2300, and three poor shots in box #22 cost me a perfect score. The Sightron S-TAC is an excellent scope, but the bulls were hard to hold properly for at 100 yards. Need my 36X or 45X Sightron for better precision.

HINT: This is very hard to do with non-Thomas Air Rifles, but I would love to see some posts, and so would Mike N. :) It's also a challenge with the Thomas HPX air rifles also, so let's see some of those shooters/owners post some cards.

Tom

IMG_0226.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tommy…good shooting.

The HPXs are pellet guns. There are only a couple of people that own one of my slug guns and they don’t really have any interest in 100y.

@Franklink might be interested in this as it’s similar to his request to get people to shoot 5-5 shot groups at 100y.

I’m out of lead wire at the moment, but I’ll give it a go again this weekend.

Mike

Reactions: Franklink
Hi Tommy…good shooting.

The HPXs are pellet guns. There are only a couple of people that own one of my slug guns and they don’t really have any interest in 100y.

@Franklink might be interested in this as it’s similar to his request to get people to shoot 5-5 shot groups at 100y.

I’m out of lead wire at the moment, but I’ll give it a go again this weekend.

Mike

Hey Mike, tx. Did not realize the HPX’s were pellet only. Looking forward to your forthcoming cards.

Would be great to see ‘any’ of the regular 100 yard RMAC, EBR, PA cup, or N50 Sportsman or Pro rimfire 50Y shooters try their luck at this for fun. It’s certainly worthy of their time, since it isn’t group shooting and you are actually trying to get a ‘500’ in each of the five target bulls. It does take considerable skill and solid wind reading. Not so easy as I am finding out, even with my rim fires.

Franklink - I am interested in your other post and will be shooting some representative 5-shot groups at 100 yards in your other thread. I have three rifles that I need to test at 100y ( RAW .22 HP with MRD, and an FX Boss and Paradigm ( both .30 cals) with the 44g. Waiting for calmer winds to try and get something closer to MOA.

I am sure we will see some very interesting things from Mike soon. The old man knows no rest on development.

I will try to join with my pellet gun.
I hope to get some good pellets first 😅
Keep shooting guys.

Thanks Jeff!

It would be fun to see a nice blend of both air rifles and rim fires try this at 100 yards. I had forgotten that winter is coming fast and many will be limited by weather and conditions.

Reactions: jeffhernandez
I am sure we will see some very interesting things from Mike soon. The old man knows no rest on development.

I will try to join with my pellet gun.
I hope to get some good pellets first 😅
Keep shooting guys.

That Mike!

Yeah the 1st gen was interesting but every next generation becomes even that more interesting by a factor of two!

Reactions: Loufish
Thanks guys! I think your forthcoming posted cards will jump start this initiative.

Selfishly, I have been wanting to see how the newer air guns do at 100 yards with the existing N50 card and Mike’s scoring instructions for the ‘slugs in the rings’ original post. I also would love to see some Rimfire owners participate.

I truly believe ( as does Mike) that AGN enthusiasts are ‘hungry’ to see how competition bench rest air guns and rim fires can shoot and compete for score at 100 yards. Again, this is a fun shoot and as air gun technology improves, we might get some surprises.

Bear in mind you can shoot pellets and slugs with air guns, and .22 LR 40 gr. ammo with Rimfires. No limits on air gun caliber.

Mike - correct or clarify if needed.

tried printing the link on page1 /print is 3 x 4 inches . ok ill try it @ 16 yards maybe move to 30 ? i think 5 shots on each bull will obliterate it ?

Sorry, not following.

You can either print the 8x11” file Mike mentions at the beginning of his thread ….

Or….

Buy the 11” X 17” cardstock official N50 targets. I do the latter, much better!

Reactions: beerthief
Well I am embarrassed to say I tried 1/2 of a card today at 100Y and I vote we change the thread title to “Inside The Squares”. We had some nasty conditions with 4-13 and gusts to 24 which ate my lunch. I was aiming at adjacent bulls in an attempt to hit the bull beside it. I didn’t bother to guesstimate a score.

IMG_7596.jpeg

I am happy to report that my 50Y scores were much more realistic (for me) and more in my wind reading comfort zone.
IMG_7597.jpeg
IMG_7598.jpeg
IMG_7599.jpeg
IMG_7600.jpeg