• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

N50 at 100 “In The Rings” Slug Challenge

Had an ARA target at 100y and put down a pretty nice 25 shot pellet group. The outside ring is 1” and the target box is 1.75. Would probably have scored a 2325. Light wind.

Mike
1C98A30B-AB39-4534-9F47-318BE1D4C509.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Loufish
I went to my local outdoor range this morning. Weather Channel said 5 mph wind, but when I got at my bench there was nothing noticeable. Flags were still, so I got out the Kestrel for about 5 minutes a few feet in front of my bench and it was 0-.5mph or no wind. I decided to go without flags, since I was shooting the 1907 Anschutz .22 LR today. Weather was perfect; 45 degrees when I started at 9:15 and 57 degrees when I finished at 11:25am. Have two more boxes of R50 40g ammo left, so I posted my "In the rings" SLUG challenge cards at 100 yards.

I shot three rows on the card, starting at the bottom and working my way up to the top row. Bottom and middle rows were shot with RWS50 and the top row shot with Eley Tenex ( red box).

View attachment 196855

Row 21 - I shoot from right to left and could not figure out how I missed the first two bulls with one shot out of the five shots for each target bull. I did figure it out on #'s 21, 22 and 23 bulls. Shot a 2250.

Row 11 - Next row was also with RWS 50 and this time I shot a 2450. Came close to a 2500, but on bull #13 my shot touched the outer ring. No complaints, very happy.

Row 1- This was the last row I shot today, and I switched and sighted in the Eley Tenex 40G. It did shoot well, but not as good as the RWS50. Shot a 2100 on this row.

The Anschutz 1907 (54 Action )is a custom .22 LR with my Tuner dialed in the way I like it. ( Pro Class ).

I will eventually get the other Anschutz .22 LR 64 MPR ( 64 Action - Sportsman Class, no Tuner ) and shoot it at 100 yards. It will not do as well, but I expect it will be decent.

Given my two Daystate Safari .22 HP first attempts ( 1275 and 1300 ), I am pretty sure I could not get this close with either that gun or the RAW HM1000x HP .22.

I have not shot either Anschutz at 100 yards for over a year, so this was the 'pick' day of the week with little/no wind present.
So basically it is winter there ? nice shooting Stan In KY

OK, Mike inspired me with his recent outing with the RF guys.....

Went to my local range today with the Anschutz 1907 .22 LR to shoot some 100 yard "in the rings" challenge cards. The wind was up again around 2-7 mph, but much of the shooting was in the 3-4 mph range. Head wind and left to right mostly. I did have two flags deployed. ( see pics below ).

Finally shot my first "2500" score - top row. I started at the bottom row and worked up to the top row. I shoot from right to left and in the 2nd bull on the bottom row, I had a wild flyer and missed the rings and hit box line - big fat ZERO! I still managed a 2250, despite the rocky start.

Next row was middle row, and managed a 2400. So close, but yet so far.

Top row was my last row, and by now I was jacked and determined. Shot a "2500" and none of my shots were even close to the outer ring line.

I was curious about my average CTC for all three rows, 15 five shot bulls for a total of 75 total shots. I managed an .806" sub-MOA CTC average for the total scoring. Even though I was clearly not shooting for groups, I was happy with the sub MOA scoring average. The gun does like the RWS 50 and RWS 100 ammo, but I shot the RWS 50 today.

Here are the pics:

IMG_6720.jpg

IMG_6718.PNG

IMG_6710.jpg

IMG_6704.jpg

IMG_6702.jpg

IMG_6699.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Mike

Have not tried this in a while. I got out today at 100 yards at my local outdoor range, and gave it a go with the closest thing I have to a Thomas HPX slug air rifle -- "My Anschutz 1907 .22 LR." :) :) :)

I only wish I could shoot even a '2000' with any of my air guns at 100 yards. Wind was around 3-4 mph, with a tail wind at my back. Had two flags out; one near and one far flag.

I was trying out various .22 LR ammo today, and have discovered that the new Lapua Long Range 40g shoots almost as good as the RWS 50 and RWS 100 premium ammo. The wind got me a few times, but this was the first time in months that I tried the 'slugs in the rings' challenge.

I would love to see the FX Panthera post a few of these cards to see how it does with the 38-40g slugs. I know Nicolay has been doing a bunch of testing and it is shooting very well at 100 yards in some of the testing I have seen here on AGN.

Here is my card.

IMG_8408.jpg

Thanks for posting Tommy. Lots of ammo variables to consider.

I don’t really expect any new participation on this target anymore. It’s too hard, I guess.

If you asked someone if they could put a shot inside a 1.3” circle at 100y they would tell you that’s easy…could do that all day long.

Mike

Thanks Mike

I keep hoping there will be some N50 match shooters ( either rim fire or air gun that regularly shoot 50 yard matches) that will give it a try. I guess unless you have a keen interest in testing your rifle at a hundred, there won’t be any participants. That said, I guess most of the regular N50 shooters have zero interest.

It is kind of puzzling because there are a lot of folks that watched the thread since Feb 2022, and I continue to be surprised that there aren’t more cards. Also, with the introduction of the Evol .30, FX Panthera, and other .25 and .30 air gun brands,it would be nice to see how either pellets or heavier slugs perform.

Lastly, it is very hard.