• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

N50 at 100 “In The Rings” Slug Challenge

Thanks guys. It was right to left. Most holds were into the neighboring bull. Was shooting 40 grains 880-890. For me to shoot 100 I have to rotate about 45 degrees to the right of my 50y lane. In that position I can’t see my flags on the 50y lane without turning my head. I have extra flag stands so I may get around to putting those out if I try again.

Mike

I think you are right on box 23. Oh, well. Seems I’m right around the 2000 mark a lot. Shot one before work today in lighter wind. 2-4 mph. I think I may have figured out my errant high shots on this card. I shot some groups after this was over with a different trigger pull technique and had none of those….plus a little tighter groups. I’ll try it on a full row next time.

Mike 981C07FB-7E2E-450D-9970-7F538CBFC40E.jpeg

Only 150 more points and you’re there! The best I have done in this challenge was a 2450 with a custom Anschutz 1907 pro class .22 LR rim fire. My Highest airgun score was around 1300. 2350 is an unbelievable score with an air gun, and at 100 yards.

Like I mentioned before, I would really like to see some more 100y bench rest shooters try their hand at this, but maybe they will …..someday.

Tried my luck today with the FX Boss .25 caliber. Wind was around 2-5 mph, but frequently it was less than 2 mph also. I had one flag out around 8 yards from my shooting bench. I was shooting the JSB 33g MK2 and MK1 pellets. I shot (4) "in the rings" challenges - 1325, 1525, 1375 and an 1800 at 100 yards. A couple have said it a few times, but this is very hard with pellets and with an air gun. Had an awful time trying to understand my holds with wind switching. It was definitely a head wind, but it must have been switch r-l and l-r based on my confusion with holds and where some of my pellets were landing. Had numerous 25's and Zero's.

I have not yet cleaned my barrel since I got the gun from Mike ( CC ), but I suspect it could be dirty as I wasn't totally confident about accuracy. I will clean it well before I go back out and shoot again.

It was fun and I had the entire range to myself this morning. Going to try some NSA slugs 34.9, once I order some.

IMG_6511.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6328.jpg

Just cleaned the barrel with patchworm. If you zoom in, the top two or three patches did have lead sediments. I know Mike just polished the barrel for me before he sold it, so I probably shot around 500-700 MK1s and MK2s since I had the rifle. Barrel was dirty so no excuses next time out! :)

Attachments

• IMG_6515.jpg
    IMG_6515.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Tried my luck today with the FX Boss .25 caliber. Wind was around 2-5 mph, but frequently it was less than 2 mph also. I had one flag out around 8 yards from my shooting bench. I was shooting the JSB 33g MK2 and MK1 pellets. I shot (4) "in the rings" challenges - 1325, 1525, 1375 and an 1800 at 100 yards. A couple have said it a few times, but this is very hard with pellets and with an air gun. Had an awful time trying to understand my holds with wind switching. It was definitely a head wind, but it must have been switch r-l and l-r based on my confusion with holds and where some of my pellets were landing. Had numerous 25's and Zero's.

I have not yet cleaned my barrel since I got the gun from Mike ( CC ), but I suspect it could be dirty as I wasn't totally confident about accuracy. I will clean it well before I go back out and shoot again.

It was fun and I had the entire range to myself this morning. Going to try some NSA slugs 34.9, once I order some.

View attachment 274653

View attachment 274654

View attachment 274655
Just cleaned the barrel with patchworm. If you zoom in, the top two or three patches did have lead sediments. I know Mike just polished the barrel for me before he sold it, so I probably shot around 500-700 MK1s and MK2s since I had the rifle. Barrel was dirty so no excuses next time out! :)
Tommy, that 1800 looks VERY good in switchy winds at 100Y with pellets. If you extrapolate those to a 100Y EBR type target you would be totally competitive at the Pro level for RMAC or EBR. Shoot it a while longer with the Superior Heavy liner at about 915 FPS, then try the Pellet A liner I included at about 870 FPS-ish. I think in swirly type winds that slow twist (1:27) of the pellet A liner might show less drift and especially less vertical jump compared to the 1:18 Superior Heavy liner. I say this because FX is going "back to the future" with their pellet liners and moving towards the slower twist to approximate the older solid ST liners, so at least FX agrees with me... :sneaky:

Tommy, that 1800 looks VERY good in switchy winds at 100Y with pellets. If you extrapolate those to a 100Y EBR type target you would be totally competitive at the Pro level for RMAC or EBR. Shoot it a while longer with the Superior Heavy liner at about 915 FPS, then try the Pellet A liner I included at about 870 FPS-ish. I think in swirly type winds that slow twist (1:27) of the pellet A liner might show less drift and especially less vertical jump compared to the 1:18 Superior Heavy liner. I say this because FX is going "back to the future" with their pellet liners and moving towards the slower twist to approximate the older solid ST liners, so at least FX agrees with me... :sneaky:
Thanks Mike. Barrel (liner) is now very clean so I will try it again and pick a better wind day. Here in the Southeast, 4-6 mph is challenging enough. Those higher winds you guys have in Cali, Utah and Arizona would not be welcome here.

I will definitely try the PA liner very soon. I believe you mentioned the NSA 34g slugs shot well too. I need to try slugs at 100y.

Thanks Mike. Barrel (liner) is now very clean so I will try it again and pick a better wind day. Here in the Southeast, 4-6 mph is challenging enough. Those higher winds you guys have in Cali, Utah and Arizona would not be welcome here.

I will definitely try the PA liner very soon. I believe you mentioned the NSA 34g slugs shot well too. I need to try slugs at 100y.
Yes, try the NSA 34.9 grain slugs in the Boss with the Superior Heavy liner, the one you have in it now. It'll also shoot the NSA 38.9 and ZAN 41 grain, but the gun doesn't have the ass to get them over 900 FPS without major surgery...
PS., we tend to severely overestimate our winds here... Generally 4 to 6 mph is all we see, not 15 to 20 like some write about. Its interesting that someone will write about those very high winds, then report the 3 MOA hold off, when in fact if those heavy winds were actually present it would be MUCH more than 3 MOA... I do remember holding off 4 MIL (14.4 MOA) at the 2019 RMAC 100Y round two qualifier, but that is unusual...

Last edited:
I am shooting your target rings for several months, for both distances 50 meters with .22 pellets 18gr (Leshiy2) and 100 meters with .25 slugs 41gr (Impact).
These two shooting lanes (at my club) are difficult, narrow with five benches each only, facing SouthEast, like a wide channel lower from a ground and between tree lanes. I am very sure not possible to learn the wind at all, and just swirling around randomly. I am happy if I can group a five in a single ring, mostly 50-50 chance only. The 41gr ZAN's at 100 meters the best I can do a group size as the 18gr .22's at 50 about 1.5" average. With light pellets no way I can tighten @50.

BigHun….do you have wind flags?

Mike
Yes I 3d printed a bunch of "windflags" and mounted a windmeter on top, but mostly just spinning in Streloc :)
That range I was talking about is a firearms gun club - range probably purposely made to be a bit challenging for precision rifle guys (or is that just a nature playing games there), and I have nowhere else to go shooting. From other perspective 15 minutes drive dtd is making it more attractive to me.

a 50M
20211016_134035.jpg

A 100M is about a same width, a little bit "deeper" from trees and longer. Nowhere to reference the wind direction visually..

Last edited:
Tried my luck again this morning, only this time with the Anschutz 1907 .22 LR with tuner. I was low on air in my Great White, so I left the Boss at home today. I only wish "any" of my air rifles could shoot like this gun. I tried two types of ammo; RWS100 and Eley Tenex 40G. Shot "3" in the rings challenge cards ( rows ) below.

I started on the bottom row, always shooting right to left. Had a regular .22 LR shooting friend right next to me, and I was clowning around and said I wanted to shoot a perfect score today! As I got to the 4th bull ( # 22 bull ); I realized I had a perfect score going and I just needed to shoot the last bull # 21. First shot 10X, Second shot a 10. 3rd shot, a big fat ZERO! Hit the box line on the right, but I did notice a gust of wind right as I was shooting at the bench. 4th shot, hit the outer ring line. 5th shot, back in the ring hitting 7 ring. Total was 2350, but I did it too myself. No wind flags deployed today, as wind was light but I know better and should have at least used a near flag around 8-10 yards from my bench.

Also shot a 1950 and 2075, but again with no flags.

Slight edit on why I did not use flags - My friend was already set up and I had just walked back and he patiently waited for me before we when HOT. I felt guilty delaying any longer, but in retrospect, I should have had walked down with both flags with target. May not have changed anything, but I will never know either. :)

Note to self, re. #2 and #8 bulls - “Stop talking, pay attention and stop “forgetting” how many shots for each bull. You’re leaving money on the table!” Dementia starting to show up randomly.

IMG_6525.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Centercut