• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MYTH Busting Needed

Lewis,

I believe the reason that everyone competes with fixed barrel guns is because everyone competes with fixed barrel guns...if the top five shooters are all shooting fixed barrel guns...

For field target at 12 foot pounds, they simply work better. It is much easier to put a knee rest on an HW 77, than it is on any break barrel gun.

both of the rifles below are the types you were describing. The top one is a one-of-a-kind handmade SLR 88 by Theoben, Recently tuned by the master and former FT nationals champion David Slade. The bottom one is an HW 77K. Also completely torn apart and tuned by David Slade. It is much easier to set up a fixed barrel gun for field target. That doesn’t mean they’re necessarily more accurate. If someone challenged me to shoot a small group at 50 yards, today, I would grab one of my FWB’s. Break barrels. If they challenged me to a field target match I would use one of the two below.
image.1613759574.jpg

I appreciate your post and comments.

mike

Dizzums 

Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but really not seeing the point of your post. This was a post on Springer channel, comparing two different types of Springers.

Yes PCPs are more accurate. They’re lighter, they get more shots, they have magazines, I can go on and on, what’s the point?

And actually boskobera makes a good point...

how about a little five shot challenge? You shoot your best group with your best PCP, I don’t care what the caliber is I don’t care what the foot pounds are. Just try beat this group: under .2” about the size of a starlings eye.

C81A4C2C-68AF-400D-B9A0-A6DF00A14759.1613761749.jpeg

If you find that difficult, this group is a little bit bigger, it was shot with a 6 foot pound rifle and open sites at 42 yards. A springer.

9238042C-6A66-40D9-9BBE-F33C69B604B1.1613761827.jpeg

Both of the rifles were bone stock, as from the factory.

mike

Don’t discount the fixed barrel Springer for lack of accuracy, it’s simply not true.

mike

Agree 100%. 

I went through a bunch of springers, an HW77k included, and the only non fwb300s that got to have a permanent home in my collection happens to be a break barrel. The HW50s that I still have was the only one of the bunch that demonstrated a consistent poi. I actually had it out yesterday evening for the first time in a couple months and it was putting them right in it's 30 yard zero like nobody's business. 

This is a 5 shot group at 52 yards from yesterday. Shooting off a bum bag, no harness, just me and the gun. 

2021-02-19_20h02_50.1613790204.jpg

Dots are around 3/8 of an inch, nail is the end of a roughly 2 inch nail that holds the backer cardboard and target paper. 

It does about 9.5fpe at my elevation. Favorite pellet is the JSB 7.87. 

Makes me smile every time I get it out. 

I don't own a PCP I'm sure I will get one in the future. I have a BSA supersport springer in .22 and some gas piston guns. I would put my BSA against a PCP I've shot a bird in the eye with it !!!! What I hate these days it seems if your not shooting PCP and your shooting springer your gun is just a little better than a Red Ryder and you're a second-class airgun shooter.

The reality is, it’s much more difficult to shoot a spring piston gun accurately. Once you have it figured out, and honestly the hold is different for almost all rifles. But the key is you have to have good follow through, you have to have good form, you have to have good trigger work...Bottom line, you have to do everything the same every time.

But once you have it mastered, you’ll be a much better shooter of all other types of rifles.

I’ve owned and still own BSA break barrel air guns...They are awesome.

mike

The reality is, it’s much more difficult to shoot a spring piston gun accurately. Once you have it figured out, and honestly the hold is different for almost all rifles. But the key is you have to have good follow through, you have to have good form, you have to have good trigger work...Bottom line, you have to do everything the same every time.

But once you have it mastered, you’ll be a much better shooter of all other types of rifles.

This is so spot on. One of the initial attractions to airguns was to improve my long-range centerfire shooting. As with many others here, once truly hooked I rarely shoot powder guns anymore. Similarly, I find the better I get with spring guns the better I become with PCP's.

I seem to find more enjoyment in shooting the springers these days. I'm not sure if it is nostalgia, challenge, or the simplicity but It just feels more rewarding and less clinical for some reason. 

Viva la spring!

I’ve owned and still own BSA break barrel air guns...They are awesome.

mike

Do you mean to say, "You have to be able to shoot well to shoot a springer well."?

😉

When my son's were boys, I gave them a choice of starter rifles. They could have either a Dixie Gun Works .40 flint lock or the same rifle in a cap lock. They oldest went for the flinter after being advised, "You can learn to shoot with a cap lock, a flinter will learn you to shoot."

A springer will teach you to shoot, anyone can shoot a PCP.

Thumper.
I enjoyed your well thought out response. I too am a fan of the HW 77. Which I believe shares the same compression tube as the R1.

as to your comment about break barrels being cheaper, I’m not really referencing the inexpensive under $400 each models.

I would be comparing HW to HW, or air arms to air arms, Theoben SLR to crow mag etc. 

But I still don’t personally see myself grabbing the HW 77K, when I’m going for a walk. I would much rather take the FWB 124. But that’s just me. When that 124 hits my shoulder, whatever it’s pointing at dies.

mike

The R1 (HW80) tube is much different than the HW77 compression tube. The diameter and volume, and wall thickness of the R1 chamber I have is larger than what my HW77 has.

When springers were popular for FT, and Silhouette, the most effective winners were HW77, 97, and TX200s. Pretty rare to see a break-barrel used regularly by top shooters. 

I think the weight and forward tension the underlever applies is an important reason for the improved accuracy and consistency of the underlever guns.