• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Mystery wild shots?

This evening I took the HW30 .22 I shoot often to the 50' indoor club.I fired two off the bag to check zero then went for record offhand on the NRA Smlbore target. After the second Bullseye I was really confused some of the wild shots.
So I went back to the sighter rested and it got from bad to worse to the point of about a 6 inch group!!!

This was the same lot of pellets the same everything that I was shooting at 55 yd earlier today.

I pulled the target back put up a fresh target and it was back to a hitting center with all shots touching. Stock screws and scope mounts and everything were checked and they were snug.
This will be a mystery I will never figure out. It's like it went on a 10 shot vacation and then came back to where it was....

Reactions: Deerstalker
No offense intended, but YOU got out of tune with that springer for a little while. That's why I don't shoot springers. I like to hit what I am aiming at with accuracy and precision consistently and I can't do that consistently with spring/gas piston airguns.

Of course, I could be wrong... (smile)

All my best!

Kerry
I agree with this assessment. However, this is why I like springers. They force ME to stay in tune with them. Carry this to any firearm and you are a better marksman.

Last edited:
Since I shoot with glasses if I'm not lined up in the exact same spot looking through the scope for every shot, then it won't hit in the same spot every time.
It's easy to mistake this for zero shift and then go chasing the zero, which I've learned not to do.
I have a lot of lenses to get lined up..lol. This is my issue I deal with.

Your erector tube may have shifted and came back into position.

Or same issue as I mention above.

Extremely loose fitting pellet.

That's all I got.

Reactions: AirShot
No offense intended, but YOU got out of tune with that springer for a little while. That's why I don't shoot springers. I like to hit what I am aiming at with accuracy and precision consistently and I can't do that consistently with spring/gas piston airguns.

Of course, I could be wrong... (smile)

All my best!

you are

Last edited:
Perhaps It got a gulp of lube and dieseled for ten shots?

it sounded OK and no smell.
I had thought of that,but ya it gotta be something similar.

to the other responders who say it was me,maybe they didn't see ----6 " grouping rested at 50 feet---'
I might not be the world's greatest shot but I'm pretty sure 40 years of match shooting( and 50 years of spring guns) gave me the ability to tell the difference between poor gun handling and some bizarre mechanical issue.

When I first got my 30S I was having issues with great group potential but vertical stringing of flyers. I dont know that it was quite 6" worth but it was definitely significant. Turns out the solution was pretty simple. I was placing the gun down on the bag a bit too roughly and the barrel was opening ever so slightly. Even a slight change in barrel angle makes a massive difference down range. What I started doing was gliding the rifle into the front bag and just overall being more gentle with it. Now I know that if there is a flyer (which may be 1/2" off at 30yds) it was definitely me.

Since I shoot with glasses if I'm not lined up in the exact same spot looking through the scope for every shot, then it won't hit in the same spot every time.
It's easy to mistake this for zero shift and then go chasing the zero, which I've learned not to do.
I have a lot of lenses to get lined up..lol. This is my issue I deal with.

Your erector tube may have shifted and came back into position.

Or same issue as I mention above.

Extremely loose fitting pellet.

That's all I got.
Yes eye glass position can make a big difference !! I actually had a pr of lenses made that give me the ability to see the scope knobs, yet the rest is just clear...then I adjust my scope to get a clear picture without corrective lens. Works much better, no need to find the sweet spot in my glasses. Far fewer radical shots.

Reactions: bustachip
Yes eye glass position can make a big difference !! I actually had a pr of lenses made that give me the ability to see the scope knobs, yet the rest is just clear...then I adjust my scope to get a clear picture without corrective lens. Works much better, no need to find the sweet spot in my glasses. Far fewer radical shots.
That's a good idea. I've been shooting with glasses so long now I'd be afraid to start over not using them. I've actually got pretty good at it now
and I don't have to worry about taking them on and off, I just have to concentrate a little harder.

Reactions: AirShot
This evening I took the HW30 .22 I shoot often to the 50' indoor club.I fired two off the bag to check zero then went for record offhand on the NRA Smlbore target. After the second Bullseye I was really confused some of the wild shots.
So I went back to the sighter rested and it got from bad to worse to the point of about a 6 inch group!!!

This was the same lot of pellets the same everything that I was shooting at 55 yd earlier today.

I pulled the target back put up a fresh target and it was back to a hitting center with all shots touching. Stock screws and scope mounts and everything were checked and they were snug.
This will be a mystery I will never figure out. It's like it went on a 10 shot vacation and then came back to where it was....

Could it possibly be that the projectiles were clipping something in-flight? IE the edge of your rest or a twig, leaf, etc?