My version of a spring compressor

I consider a spring compressor a requirement when rebuilding a spring or ram powered airgun. I even use one on the lower powered guns which could be done without a compressor. It's like a third party that holds the gun while I use both my hands to reduce the chances of error and makes the job not only safer but easier.

There are lots of designs on the internet but my first compressor was made from a threaded rod and spare parts I had on hand. It used a threaded rod that I found would start to gall on the heavier springs unless I had sufficient lube on it.

One day while surfing the web I saw a 'press screw' used in woodworking that caught my attention. I found it was used to press wood sheets and it uses a thread designed to handle pressure. It also had a mounting bracket and handle plus the tip was removable. It cost less than $20 and seemed to be ideal for use in a spring compressor. I don't often see this mentioned when building a spring compressor so I thought this might interest some considering building their own. Google the term "press screw" to see options available.

My first compressor:

My current one: