My Ultimate Springer Shootout is coming !!

"Nueces"Oh wow. You guys blow me away. Looks like I'm in for some heavy study and protracted experimentation. And a hurting wallet. %^))

Thank you both SO much.
You're welcome! Sharing knowledge is half the fun. ;) And yes, it will cost you a leg and an arm if you want to get the most out of of your rifle, but once you start with this game, you'll get addicted. I train 3 times a week and wished I could do it every day. My wife would kill me probably, but that's how addictive it is. But I still use a 40 year old Feinwerkbau 300S and a 42 year old Anschütz 54 math (rimfire) for training and matches, because I love those vintage rifles and the give me way more satisfaction than one of those modern high-tec ones. The fact that I can kick someones ass who uses a high-tec $4000,- PCP match rifle with a 40 year old FWB300S gives me an tremendous kick! :D 

"Nueces"
I got Champions Choice on the phone and they didn't think they could help me with my front globe due to the size of the dovetail cut into the 350. It is .314 thousands, or 8 mm. About 5/16 inch. Were they correct?

Not sure about that, but do you know the tread size of your front sight? You can buy adjustable inserts, like these;

Nueces did that Williams come with your gun?
If not does it have the same height when bottomed as the stock one had?
If so then you have two choices,
  • A complete set (six or more) of hard to find .630 dia apertures for your Diana
  • Or an upgraded globe which uses 18mm or 22mm inserts like you astutely said you were looking for.
  • A basic Anschutz is typically lower than your stamped steel Diana "field" globe... and that's why Jonnes mentions risers.
Wish you could find your stock insert that you lost... find out if that airgun shoots well enough to dabble in upgrading sights. Even if you go overboard, if you get "hooked" you can always start filling a shoebox with emergency sights for fiddling with new guns... ask me how I know :)

Oh and while trying to determine the accuracy of any springer remember this... MANY springers behave better WITHOUT the mass of a scope acting as a pendulum. That mass further from the bore-line may compound the tendency for spring torque to throw flyers, since the CG is further from the bore-line while a scope is on it. This is ESPECIALLY true with very heavy scopes. Lighter scopes lower the CG closer to the bore-line exactly like iron sights do, allowing the spring torque rotation to be nearer to the pellet path... which diminishes the observable ill-effects. I realize that my explanation may be hard to follow.

Nueces,

Since the Diana's dovetail is so small, and any custom adapter (small Diana dovetail to standard dovetail) may be vulnerable to the N-Piston's recoil, I'd consider looking at a clamp on adapter. They can be had in both steel or aluminum. Only problem is they start for barrels around .750" and go up in size from there. If you could slit a piece of 1/16" wall 3/4" OD tubing, that could serve as a shim between the clamp on dovetail and "viola" !!... you can use any front sight and/or riser with an 8mm Anschutz type dovetail.

Similar to this one already on a 3/4" barrel;

This is from Champion's choice... it will be up to you to find a piece of tubing to serve as a shim down from its 3/4" ID to your barrel's .630 OD;

"Jonnes"
"Nueces"
I got Champions Choice on the phone and they didn't think they could help me with my front globe due to the size of the dovetail cut into the 350. It is .314 thousands, or 8 mm. About 5/16 inch. Were they correct?

Not sure about that, but do you know the tread size of your front sight? You can buy adjustable inserts, like these;

Sorry Joe for hijacking your thread. Should I move somewhere or do you want to start over? You did say you could not get out to shoot for a while due to weather.

Thanks for so much good help Jones. Yeah I am screwed with this globe. Only 16mm. I have another coming from Bob Jones (bjonessights.com) in AZ. Hope it works. Umarex is sending me a full set of 16mm inserts gratis. They were great with their customer service.

I doubt this rifle will be all that accurate but the kind of shooting you do is not yet my cup of tea although I can see I could get into it. I am more interested in a good clear sight picture for my old tired eyes. I'm willing to go a few hundred out of pocket to get there. This IS a so called magnum springer ( gas ) and it looks to be able to get within one inch at 25 yards but I can't really tell given my current situation waiting for inserts and or new globe altogether. I've got this idea in my head I want to kill pests with a break barrel. Silly but I'm gonna do it one way or tuther.

Ziabeam, I ordered the Williams. It's the low one I believe. AoA isn't very good with sights. Pyramid is a little better but not much. The gun comes with a blade with notch type adjustable rear sight way up on the back of the barrel. Just about useless for my eyes. I lowered it all the way and it is in the bottom of my sight picture but I am seeing over it ok. I should take it off though as it is a distraction and probably is interfering more than I think.

I'm thinking of the barrel band. Saw them on Champions. Last resort though. Aesthetically displeasing to say the least. I could probably find someone somewhere to make me a riser to get from my present 8mm to whatever anschutz or Gehman uses.

What is the measurement of Anschutz, Gehman et al's dovetail clamp anyway?

Also Zia thanks for the heads up on scope weight affecting a springers 'harmonics' or movement during a shot. Never would have tumbled to that on my own.

An aside: Is it just the way the pic was taken or does that front globe sit at an upward angle in that picture?

"Ziabeam"
"Nueces"
Sorry Joe for hijacking your thread. Should I move somewhere or do you want to start over? You did say you could not get out to shoot for a while due to weather.

Was just thinking the same thing.
My aplogies Joe... it's all Jonnes fault for inspiring us to shoot tiny groups !!!

Joe ?
Joe?
Hello?

LOL! Yeah sure, blame it on the bald guy. 😂

But seriously, I think you two are Joe's alter ego's, creating an excuse for not shooting that D75 because there might just be a slight chance that it's better than the almighty FWB300S. If there's one thing in live I've learned, is that you can't ever trust those pirates! So stop making excuses Joe, and kick my @ss.

"Jonnes"
....I think you two are Joe’s alter ego’s, creating an excuse for not shooting that D75.....

Wish that were the case...
Just got back in from the yard...

... and put 42 pellets downrange... not good...

Houston we have a problem...

Looks like piston seal is giving up the ghost and puking through the transfer port... not to mention a decrepit breech seal
Guess it's time to find bits for to rebuild two Dianas (not just the Winchester 333)
ARRRRGHHHH !!!!... Oh wait, I like tinkering... just need to find the time and parts.

Hope Joe's fares better !!