• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My tumble down the rabbit hole

So in August I decided to get my first PCP, a wood stock avenger. Bought a good hand pump with it—used it one time, I thought “this sucks”. Now I need a compressor so ordered a Nova. Shot the heck out of the avenger for a few days, bought 10 mags for it. So now I want another PCP, bought an Eagle claw carbine. And I need 10 mags for that too. Shot the heck out of that too for a couple weeks. “Now”, I thought, “I should have a more capable compressor” —by now I’m going to the range 4-5 days a week, staying there all day, going through about 3-4 tins of pellets every day. So ordered a Hill EC3000, outdoor range I go to has 110 power so perfect solution. Hill compressor stays in the pickup all the time. All the while of course reading, researching and lusting for more, buying a crap load of pellets now and then (telling myself it’s good to stock up). So things are going swell but I need? more. My need was satisfied by a HW100. Wow, cool, now I’m spending even more time at the range but all is well, it’s summer, I’m retired, etc. Because all this started with a department store springer I’ve had for years, now I have to research a good springer. So in my safe now is a HW97. Holy moly is this thing accurate and fun—the old nitro piston went to my nephew. But of course I can’t have just one, so a TX200 keeps the 97 company. Now with winter coming I should have a better arrangement so today ordered a Great White tank, Hill compressor is no good for filling that all the time so now it’s gonna be a compressor accordingly. Thinking AV 4500 or Alpha Carette? This, along with all of the scopes, rings, maintenance stuff, field targets, chrono, spare orings, PELLETS!! Now, what’s next?🤓 Yikes! 

I’ve been happy with my AV4500, but there is no question that the more expensive ones like the Alkin or Bauer are “better”. I just couldn’t justify the price at the time for this hobby (not my only hobby BTW). However, if and when my AV finally breaks I’ll probably go with an Alkin, but so far no complaints whatsoever with the Air Venturi. I filled my 9L (98 cu ft) tank from empty once, then at least weekly I go from about 240 Bar up to 310. That takes about 20-25 minutes.

Just beware. The rabbit hole is DEEP!

Chris

Hi, my name is Qball. I am an airgun addict……

FF04F297-FBA6-484F-A9DE-738E9C0F8877.1635005896.jpeg