My thoughts as far as custom work on about anything.

If you have been thinking about getting some custom work done, please realize that the masters are getting fewer and fewer and there seems to be less of them than 10 years ago.
I admit I have waited too long on some things, could be a custom .45 or custom resin model car, a custom stock, or air gun parts.
Pride of ownership is a feel-good thing, better performance, or whatever reason, start putting your money aside and remember it sometimes a long time for those customizers to start and finish your "pride-of-ownership "air gun.

The craft or should I say art of traditional airgun tuning and perhaps even customization is dying. Many masters lack the forethought to preserve their knowledge for the next generation, some don’t care and another portion wants to take it to the grave with them hoping that they will be remembered for their work. That said, those excuses seem shallow to me - if I had the skills I would put together a guide or YouTube video etc, to pass on the knowledge to those that care. Unfortunately, the modicum of skill to do that is often lacking amongst the masters. Old knowledge often dies a quiet death and once it’s gone the energy to recreate it is considerable.

A toast to those that not only choose to work on our guns but also pass on the knowledge!

-Marty

The craft or should I say art of traditional airgun tuning and perhaps even customization is dying. Many masters lack the forethought to preserve their knowledge for the next generation, some don’t care and another portion wants to take it to the grave with them hoping that they will be remembered for their work. That said, those excuses seem shallow to me - if I had the skills I would put together a guide or YouTube video etc, to pass on the knowledge to those that care. Unfortunately, the modicum of skill to do that is often lacking amongst the masters. Old knowledge often dies a quiet death and once it’s gone the energy to recreate it is considerable.

A toast to those that not only choose to work on our guns but also pass on the knowledge!

-Marty
Having tuned hundreds of guns, and actually have built three of my own brake barrels. Along with several stocks and other custom modifications. I can tell you it’s not just air gunning. Gunsmithing is a dying art. The children of today would rather shoot guns on video games than work or learn about them. 😞

They are getting fewer and fewer. There is a sense of entitlement when it comes to custom airgun work. There is another thread on here where someone was saying that installing a Vortek kit into a springer should be done for free by the airgun retailer. Other words don't charge $90 for work most people on here can't do but, do it for free aka slave labor. The sense of entitlement from some people in the air gun world is mind blowing.

They are getting fewer and fewer. There is a sense of entitlement when it comes to custom airgun work. There is another thread on here where someone was saying that installing a Vortek kit into a springer should be done for free by the airgun retailer. Other words don't charge $90 for work most people on here can't do but, do it for free aka slave labor. The sense of entitlement from some people in the air gun world is mind blowing.
I really want to get into fixing/tuning slingers🤷‍♂️
Just lacking work space...for now

Reactions: dgeesaman
I really want to get into fixing/tuning slingers🤷‍♂️
Just lacking work space...for now
Before I got into air guns. I was heavily into powder burners. I did a majority of the work in my kitchen.
Working on guns does not require a lot of space.

Thanks to advancement of technologies the need for custom work is getting less to non-existent. Back in the days airguns are so primitive that without a master tuner it's basically hopeless, these days we just need some know how with a few twist of knobs or wrenches or push of a few buttons or touch screen.

Custom stocks and other accessories are doing well still I think.

This is endemic of current society as a whole. Everyone wants something for free, subset airguners not excepted.

-Marty

Before I got into air guns. I was heavily into powder burners. I did a majority of the work in my kitchen.
Working on guns does not require a lot of space.
Same. It's more of a: I'm living between 2 different places at any given time😅
Working on cleaning up my own(new) place while trying to tinker at my (old) place.
Tools here and there for now makes its a pain if I disassemble something then need a tool mid disassemble that I've got elsewhere...🥴
End up buying a tool bc I can't find one....then I find it...😅
Mainly wanna wait til I have a "dedicated" area for tinkering

Thanks to advancement of technologies the need for custom work is getting less to non-existent. Back in the days airguns are so primitive that without a master tuner it's basically hopeless, these days we just need some know how with a few twist of knobs or wrenches or push of a few buttons or touch screen.

Custom stocks and other accessories are doing well still I think.
My my...🤔I do have quite the hand for woodcrafting...
And I know a guy that has pretty much every single wood tool I could ever imagine AND more...
Future endeavors seem to be rather fruitful if I play my hand right🤞🎩

My my...🤔I do have quite the hand for woodcrafting...
And I know a guy that has pretty much every single wood tool I could ever imagine AND more...
Future endeavors seem to be rather fruitful if I play my hand right🤞🎩
If you enjoy doing it, then it is definitely a course to pursue.
If you find happiness by doing it, then life becomes a big Bonus Round.

It's one of the few things I can do for hours on end without it feeling like time is even moving....
If it's shooting/outdoors related(working on anything really) I can just tinker away to my heart's desire without a care in the world

Yep. Then you end up with a basement full of stuff like Lathe, Drill press, grinder, and MORE!
Now I bought all that while working so I'd have them when I retired. So now I'm nearing 1 year retired and those toyz?
I can tinker to my hearts desires!

I also ended up with a 3D printer that I do parts on for another to make things for.
He sells his stuff with parts I print and both of us make a few bucks. Nice thing about the printer is it works as I do other things!

Last edited:
Another thing that stops Upcoming tuners?
It takes years to earn the respect and some established tuners will go a long ways to trash you.
I have been lucky to have contacts with some of the best out there! And they continue to teach me.
Awww! Much like the old farm hands😅 made me learn the hard way and get hurt...then say that'll teach ya!...nah bro! You could've told me exactly how to do it and I would have followed your instructions and not gotten hurt...THEN you could've said if you'd not done it right... this that and the third could've happened...🫠

Reactions: FarmPlinker