• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

My thoughts and Impressions: BSA R10 SE vs Daystate Huntsman Revere

Yesterday I picked up a Revere from my somewhat local retailer. I am new to the hobby but quickly amassing a little collection of rifles. Several months ago I bought the BSA R10 SE after going back and forth between the BSA and the Huntsman Regal. I settled on the BSA because of the magazine being compatible with my Gamo Urban so I could easily switch between the two. I have no regrets about the BSA, but I kept coming back to that Huntsman. When I saw that the Huntsman now has a sidelever, well I knew I had to get one! So below are my initial thoughts between these two similarly priced classic style rifles for anyone that might be considering one or the other. Keep in mind, I'm new so experienced airgunners feel free to chime in. Oh, both rifles are .22 caliber and both are rated at about 30 FPE.

I give a slight edge to the Daystate on style. Both have beautiful walnut stocks and neither can be faulted for the finish. The rest of both rifles is equally nice. No rough edges or unfinished look to either one. The Daystate seems to fit in the hand a little better due to the slimmer stock. The BSA's 200 cc tank requires the stock to be a bit wider, but the BSA only fills to 232 bar, easy enough to use a handpump, but the 162 cc Daystate tank fills to 250 bar and can still be done with a handpump. Quick note before the experienced guys lynch me for using a handpump on one of these beauties, I am purchasing a compressor in the very near future. I have to sy that I like the gauge placement better on the BSA than the Daystate. I don't like looking at the end of the barrel to see my air pressure and BSA puts there's under the rifle. The Daystate has the reg gauge under the rifle, so why not put both under there?

The BSA gives me about 30 shots on the reg before I pump it back up. Reviews state up to 35, but I would rather pump it up after 30, saves me a bit of work. The Daystate gives me over 40 shots before I pumped it back up. That Huma regulator is a real treat and is much better than the reg in the BSA. Now I do like that my BSA comes with 2 magazines where Daystate gives you just one. It is also nice that the BSA has an indicator to let you know when you are at your last shot, and is numbered. The Daystate has an eleven shot mag, but if you lose count you'll waste a "shot" before you realize it. Once I have my compressor I will push the Daystate to the 55 shots it promises on the reg. Extra mags for the BSA are also less expensive.

The one thing that BSA gives that Daystate does not is a moderator (insert here whatever you prefer to call it). The BSA is plenty quiet, and I am waiting for my DonnySL Sumo for the Daystate. Factor in the cost of the moderator if you're comparing the two. This could be seen as an edge for the DS as you get the pick the one you like best. As far as I can tell I am stuck with the one on the BSA as it does not appear to be removable.

As for cocking, sidelever rules! The trigger is nice on both and I adjusted the BSA to my liking. The DS was fine right out of the box. Here is where I will touch on the instructions included. DS does a FAR better job! I liked that they included the test sheet and a quality control sheet as well. As near as I can tell from my info included, I got one of the first 50 Revere models, serial number 49! Both rifles were packaged nicely and I have no complaints with either one.

Accuracy on both is outstanding. I shoot standing from the doorway of my garage using the door frame to brace my forehand. I feel this best replicates how I shoot when hunting the pests in my yard or in the woods and at 25 and 50 yards I can reliably hit my target and place subsequent shots in a very small group. I have even managed pellet on pellet at 50 yards with both rifles. I use the JSB Diabolo 18.13 grain in all three of my .22 caliber rifles.

As I said at the top, I have no regrets on the BSA and will keep it and the Daystate for a very long time. I will shoot both, and my Urban, as much as I can, and even more when I get my compressor. If you're thinking of buying either one, I would say to spend the few hundred more to get the Revere until BSA improves the reg and features of the R10 to match the Revere. If however the Daystate is just a little out of reach, the BSA is a great choice for a classic style hunting rifle. This spring I hope to add the Air Arms S510 to my collection as I really like the looks of that rifle too. I hope you all liked my comparison, and feel free to ask any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

IMG_2523.1600639607.jpg
IMG_2524.1600639608.jpg

Thanks for the post. The R10 gets unjustly hated on a lot, sure its an old design but its proven to be reliable. BSA gets points from me for using their own barrels and regulators whereas the competition from air arms, daystate, weihrauch all use lothar walther barrels and huma regulators. The regulator in my r10 works perfectly.

I agree the reg works fine, but I think it has room for improvement. With a 200 cc tank vs a 162cc tank and only 18 bar difference between them, I expect the BSA could be more efficient and eke out a few more shots. I forgot to add that BSA including sling studs is also nice even though I don't use them. Competition is a good thing and I am eager to see what BSA does to respond to the market.