My ThomasAir HPX I named SURELY + swaged 42gr slugs

A bunch of cool news as of late!

Last weekend was the Arizona state FT match which was fun in itself. But some of us were camped and stayed until Monday. There is a gravel pit in close vicinity. I put this steel man silhouette at 210Y on the far end of the pit. You can see the size of it and the brown flappers it has, one to the side of the head that flips to either side, and the one in the middle that flips to the left side. The nice thing was that I was able to stick the stand into a giant gravel mound so we could see hits in the gravel easily since the target was only a foot away from the gravel! Also its painted white and as you can see the hits show up well too.

Wind was 2-5 mph so not much....also we all shot off sticks and buckets.

When I began shooting I hit the center flapper on the 4th shot and hit the head flapper shortly after. Berry came about then so I asked him if he wanted to shoot SLUGSURELY. It happened to fit his shooting stick saddle perfectly so he went for the target. Wasn't long and he had hit it enough to be satisfied. I could tell he enjoyed the experience. A while later I hit the flappers 3 times in a row which really got me excited!

Van also shot at the silhouette but with his Daystate Redwolf and with pellets. He did quite well. The wind would blow the pellet more so it was tougher to hit consistently for him but he'd still nail it and even hit the flappers once in a while. He also hit the empty paint can I had set up about 208Y.

Bobby used his Daystate Safari and 20.5gr NSA in 17 caliber. He hit the silhouette on the first shot and didn't have trouble connecting on it. Hit the flappers too.

Then we shot at shotgun shell hulls and cans from 125Y to 163Y. There was nothing safe at these distances and we connected a lot. All in all I think we enjoyed spotting for each other, calling out corrections for each other, and watching the hulls and cans jump around through our scopes as much as hitting them ourselves.

The pic is from the 2nd painting, it was hit way more than this.

20220921_174645.jpg

TODAY was an awesome day for me!!!
I went out to John's and SLUGSURLEY was shooting well. Just nailing the steel from 50Y onwards except that darn 300Y bobcat was still not easy to hit so I stopped for a while. As the evening went on the wind died down some so I decided to look way way up on the hill for a rock to shoot at. I found one at 320Y and hit it a few times. Then I found a bigger rock, maybe 16" tall and 2 feet wide higher up the hill 17 degrees at 391 yards so I dialed the 31.2 mils elevation according to my ballistic app into my March Genesis 4-40x52. I was within inches of it on the first shot and hit it a few times. There was a smaller rock about 6" tall and a foot wide to the left of the big one about 4 feet away so I tried to hit it. I got it 3 shots later and hit it a few more times. Randy hit it a few times as well as Johns friend Steve hitting it on the second shot. John only took one shot and barely missed over the top.

For the fun of it I set the scope in the rear bag to stay on the rock with the 31.2 mils dialed on then put the scope back down to the zero stop, then put it on 4x magnification. WOW the center of the reticle was 30 to 40-ish feet over the top of the hill aimed into the sky!!!! What a revelation that was, lol!

Another experiment was dialing the scope all the way up 80 plus mils and back down to the zero stop. Then I shot at the 50Y target, smack right in the middle.

I was able to compare the new March to Randy's Swarovski X5 5-25x56 which has the best glass I've seen to date. To me the March resolved ever so slightly less and honestly it was hard to tell either way.

I am so happy with this scope!

Last edited:
I got the opportunity to attempt some 200Y groups on white card stock. As usual its pretty tough seeing the bullet holes that far out, especially with the mirage. The wind was around 1-6 mph. So that's why you see so many shots scattered everywhere on the paper because after I figured out where to aim there wasn't much room left on the paper to place a group. Sorry but it is what it is with that and not very official per say. It's a long way off to be walking back and forth replacing a bunch of targets so I thought better of it! You can kinda see the approximate vertical based on some of the other hits not in the 5 shot groups. I was able to eventually shoot some 5 shot groups though.
20221005_103651.jpg
20221005_103852.jpg
20221005_103932.jpg

Reactions: qball
I would probably need a tin of pellets to hit that once at 422 even with it being that big!! Tear it up Steve!
Thx
Dan

Ha, I wonder how bad pellets would peter out??? I'll go look ....Shooting the 22 cal 25.4gr MRD's out of PelletSURELY calls for 42 mils of elevation according to my app. I bet it'd be a lot more than that though.

Thanks Dan.

That nearly life size Buffalo belongs to a family we know that is into black powder long range rifles, like Sharps and other falling block action guns of that era. They'd set this target out at 1000Y to shoot at it. As far as I know they haven't shot at it in 15 years.

Last time this target was used myself and some friends had the Buff set at 1800 yards. We were hitting it with my modern long range rifle and laying on top of the roof of John's shop. Talk about being hard to see any hits, or hear any hits, just an occasional miss in the dirt way out there. It wasn't until we went to see what happened that we saw we had peppered the Buff all over the place. I think I hit it with the cold bore shot but we'll never know for sure.

These are my friends Randy on the left and John on the right in the photo in post #103.
That Buff is heavy, around 150 lbs, and 2 pieces bolted together. It's 1/4" mild steel so we can't shoot at it with anything that'll poke holes in it because a high powered rifle would do that at 422Y. Not too time consuming erecting it so that gave us time to shoot at it yesterday.

It was fairly windy, I guess around 4-8 mph from right to left and pretty much full value.
Reflecting back a few weeks ago I found it much easier to see where we missed in the cinders when I was shooting at the rocks at 391Y way up on the hill because those rocks are in a bare spot making it easy to see where the dust is kicked up by the projectile.
In contrast because its grassy around the Buff it took a while to make out where the misses would land in the dirt, we finally saw some dust from a miss a foot off the nose. Wow, 5-6 feet of drift so I dialed 4 mils of right windage, but once I had that figured out we heard our first ding! I now was getting some hits on the steel. Though as you can see on the lower left side of the Buff that's where they were landing with an occasional puff of dust below the Buff that we saw. At this point we only assumed I was hitting low because the hits were so hard to see.
20221012_152752.jpg

I put .8 mil more elevation into the scope and I was hitting more consistently. We couldn't see the hits in the black at first but I was watching when I saw a hit in the white, then another. You can see where most of them landed just left and high of the white. Then when the wind died down some hits off to the right.
20221012_152743.jpg

This is John shooting SURELY. Look at the angle of the scope compared to the angle of the barrel. Remember the March Genesis has external elevation and windage adjustment kind of like the old Unertl scopes which tilts the scope body.

It wasn't until we drove the sidebyside down to the Buff before we saw exactly where we were hitting as well as some of the marks in the dirt.

Fun first try though!

Afterwards Randy and John shot their 22rf's and hit the Buff. Randy hit the white on the 2nd shot! Next week I'll try my 22rf.
20221012_150707.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the guys over there are not to bad, but there are still many that refuse to see airguns as anything more than toys.

Yep, its an interesting place at SH!

I'v been a member over there for about 15 years and have observed the so many different personalities, so many drama's unfold, been to some major events, and even met Frank at my very first Field Course match over at Raton at the Sporting Rifle match like 14 years ago. Ha, he was mocking me because I was using a cheap Horus scope using holdovers only and I ended up getting a higher score than he did so everyone in our squad was giving him a hard time about that as well as myself, :p

• Haha
Reactions: woogie_man
Yep, its an interesting place at SH!

I'v been a member over there for about 15 years and have observed the so many different personalities, so many drama's unfold, been to some major events, and even met Frank at my very first Field Course match over at Raton at the Sporting Rifle match like 14 years ago. Ha, he was mocking me because I was using a cheap Horus scope using holdovers only and I ended up getting a higher score than he did so everyone in our squad was giving him a hard time about that as well as myself, :p

I can't remember his name but there was a young guy from Colorado that came to our AZ state FT match one time about 10 years ago. He mentioned he was on the Yellow forum and shortly after I saw his alias over at SH. Long story short, a few years later he won a prestigious centerfire tactical match and was the guy to beat for a while. He said, as I have testified also, that practicing with airguns makes a big difference developing a solid shooting form.

I'm sure you, I, and others, have influenced quite a few over there talking about our airguns.

A couple weeks ago Mike N upped my velocity via, higher reg pressure, a stronger hammer spring, and a heavier hammer. That brought the velocity from 750-ish to 875-ish. But SLUGSURELY didn't like it there when we shot it at 50Y so he put a more restrictive jet in it. Probelm solved, it was now at 840 fps and shooting well.

It was windy this Wednesday.
Doc Nathan showed up and hadn't shot SLUGSURELY yet. He tried the 50Y KYL rack and hit the large one then the 1". Now going farther at the steel - 125Y, 150Y, 191Y, he didn't miss in his 5 shots. He's smiling but didn't want to try farther out and feeling pretty studly I guess also I suppose he didn't want to put a miss in my gun, lol???

I shot at the 250Y, 275Y, 300Y steel and 391Y rocks hitting them all. I had to holdoff 2-3 mils for the animals so as you can imagine the succes rate was lower than normal.
The fun part of this story was when I was shooting at the 391 rock. Holding off 2 mils because it felt like the wind had slowed we couldn't see where I was missing??? Then we saw a hit in the grass 5 or so feet to the left from where I was aiming. I compensated by holding 4 mils right with 3 near misses on the small rock which I guess to be 6" tall by a foot wide. Smack on the 4th, and it was so cool to see it happen!!!, perfectly in the middle of the rock as I watched the slug land. NICE, I don't know why but I love hitting stuff waaay out there but I do, such a great feeling! Ending on a good note I put the gun back in the case.

Tried the 22rf at the BUFF. I shot 20 rounds and touched the edge of the white once, too windy.
With the iron sighted .357 lever guns Randy and I were nailing the BUFF but with the sights all the way up I needed to aim 1.5 BUFFS high.

I want a 45-50 cal airgun and shoot some really heavy slugs on that ole BUFF :p:oops:

Reactions: Centercut
I finally went through my first 25 pound spool of lead wire. This is what 4400 lead bleed offs look like, along with some slugs that I dropped or that I cut too short resulting in a core that wouldn't fill the swage die completely.

The lead in the plastic tub is almost an inch thick.

20221023_165257.jpg

A first and failed attempt at 486Y yesterday, darn-it. 44.7 mils dialed on and 2 mph wind coming from 8 o'clock.

It was a last second decision to go since the wind was calm, which I wanted to take advantage of, but even though the whole thing bombed I learned what to do on my next attempt.

I had to shoot out the front of John's front porch to get that far away vs out back like usual.
The steel plate target was a 2 foot by 3 foot rectangle sitting sideways.
It happens that the steel is just barely visible over the tops of the junipers that are about 400 yards away so I couldn't see lower than the plate at all. Then of course for 10 or so yards behind the plate if a slug lands there I wouldn't be able to see that either.
Tall blond colored blue grama grass all around the target as well. I pulled some of the grass but I need to bring a shovel and dig up a large enough area to see where I'm missing next time as well as put the plate at 525Y or so so I can see hits in the dirt in front of it.
Nope I didn't see anything and I couldn't see any hits on the steel when I went down there. I didn't shoot but 10 slugs and gave it up.
And if all this wasn't bad enough my fill hose blew the connection off with a BANG before the first shot, lol, and then the hose was flopping all over the place emptying out my 4500 psi tank. LOL????? Haha🙃 :oops:o_O

I'll make another attempt at some point.

Reactions: Centercut
Alrighty then...

I found a perfect place to see misses in the cinders of a large clear spot this morning.

The problem was it worked out best to try 563 yards because I needed to be up on a knoll to see well. I saw where my first miss went, then corrected, and basically compensated for the rest of the misses I saw. There was very little wind but I still needed 2-4 mils of windage and there was more vertical than the size of the plate by at least double. In the 25 shots I fired I peppered all around the plate and thought for sure I hit it some. I drove down there and no joy whatsoever??? It looks like I've exceeded the capabilities of my weaponry, lol. I somewhat expected such but I thought I'd at least hit my 2'x3' steel a few times. Nope all I found was a bunch of pock marks in the cinders where the slugs landed and a slug near the steel laying on the cinders.

So "somewhere over the rainbow" between 422Y and 563Y it's a no go. This was an interesting experiment but from now on I'll call it good at the Big Buff with ole SLUGSURELY.