My ThomasAir HPX I named SURELY + swaged 42gr slugs

steve123,

Assuming you want to shoot that gun in matches that don’t allow non-commercial slugs, you could try some of the commercially available slugs that are tailored to shoot in the Huben .22 airgun. I would think that they have similar slug requirements so you might find a slug that shoots just as well or even better than what you have.

Thanks for the suggestion Scott but my barrel is larger in diameter than what the commercial 22 cal slugs are for airguns.

A nice guy here on AGN sent me some slugs that might shoot decent in my pellet barrel but I haven't gotten around to trying them yet, though the twist is on the slow side so....

Or I could source a .217 slug barrel instead but as of right now I'm fine leaving everything the way it is.

That's why I specifically said "Huben .22". They used a .223 barrel, not a .217 barrel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402275490051

Look for Huben K1 ammo:

https://www.google.com/search?q=huben+k1+.22+slugs&tbm=isch&ved

steve123,

Assuming you want to shoot that gun in matches that don’t allow non-commercial slugs, you could try some of the commercially available slugs that are tailored to shoot in the Huben .22 airgun. I would think that they have similar slug requirements so you might find a slug that shoots just as well or even better than what you have.

Thanks for the suggestion Scott but my barrel is larger in diameter than what the commercial 22 cal slugs are for airguns.

A nice guy here on AGN sent me some slugs that might shoot decent in my pellet barrel but I haven't gotten around to trying them yet, though the twist is on the slow side so....

Or I could source a .217 slug barrel instead but as of right now I'm fine leaving everything the way it is.

That's why I specifically said "Huben .22". They used a .223 barrel, not a .217 barrel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402275490051

Look for Huben K1 ammo:

https://www.google.com/search?q=huben+k1+.22+slugs&tbm=isch&ved

Oh okay, I see, I was just assuming they were .217", thanks.

Steve, I can’t imagine that shooting your slug gun with custom slugs would be an objection in the Rimfire class….Similar to how the pro class is in N50. You would be at a 40fpe disadvantage compared to Rimfire and also have no wind drift advantage over them. Hard to see how that could be a problem of fairness to anyone.

Mike 

Steve, I can’t imagine that shooting your slug gun with custom slugs would be an objection in the Rimfire class….Similar to how the pro class is in N50. You would be at a 40fpe disadvantage compared to Rimfire and also have no wind drift advantage over them. Hard to see how that could be a problem of fairness to anyone.

Mike

I'm of the same sentiment Mike, in fact I think pcp's using custom slugs would be a good fit in the 22rf division.

Since last week I've had some cold but decent afternoons with medium winds to practice with SLUGSURELY and put 100 or so more slugs downrange on my steel. I checked my zero at 25Y and was within .1 mil of zero before both sessions which was nice since its so cold.

I hadn't shot on my steel yet with SLUGSURELY until this week.

My steel goes from 40Y to 100Y. Quadrant targets with 1" KZ's at 40 and 50Y, and the TV screen bell targets - 2"/60Y, 2.25"/70Y, 2.5"/80Y, 2.75"/90Y, and 3"/100Y. It went well and my impression was that these experiences were more like shooting a 22rf than shooting a pcp air rifle in both precision and wind drift. I didn't miss much and it was a lot of fun hearing all those dings, but compared to last year using RDM's/shooting pellets, I would have missed much more which I'm estimating to be around 20% of the time.

Here's my steel.

20210319_133405.1642005630.jpg

Hi Oldsparky,

Thanks. I'm glad it turned out as well as it did.

If you end up at the XFT match tomorrow come up and introduce yourself - looking forward to meeting you.

The first time I chrono'd I got 781 fps and the next time it was 796 fps but it was warmer the second time and also we used two different chronographs so there could be a discrepancy. I've had a .1 shift between shooting sessions depending on temperature I'm assuming so I set the velocity in my app to 788 fps which puts my 100Y dope close enough for a mid KZ hit if the velocity should be off a bit.

Probably get close to 40 shots off a fill??? but with the HS set in more for slugs I just fill the gun every 20-25 shots so I don't risk going off the reg. Bad I know but I've yet to find out exactly how many shots I get on a fill using slugs but will find out next time I shoot a N50 card. I only have small windows of opportunity of reasonable temps right now but hopefully in February it'll warm up to the 50's in the afternoons and I'll feeling like shooting more.

More to report using SLUGSURELY....

I didn't have the opportunity to shoot through the XFT course after the match with slugs because I had put the pellet barrel back on and there was little interest with others wanting to shoot through a 2nd time. But with pellets I missed once in 4 lanes so that was cool, at which time we opted to quit and help roll up strings/ropes.

Early this week I shot on my 200Y plate. It was a little windy but I shot a few good 5 shot groups considering the conditions being what they were, one of them was 1.3" tall and 3" wide. Worst was 3.5" tall and 7" wide. I'd show a photo but since the plate is a 15" circle with 30 shots on it, and there's 4 groups plus some sighters, its difficult to see the groups on it. When I get a good day I'll hang a box with a paper target on it and try again, then take a pic.

So you can have reference from before = Quoted from my 1/5/2022 post from above "I gave the 290Y steel today a try as well and had about 10" of vertical, but due to wind which was 2.3 mils of compensation average, it wasn't easy hitting the 7" diamond out there. Had 4 hits out of 15 tries but half those misses were very close to it, had it been a 9" square I would have hit it half the time or more. Had it been a 1ft square I would have probably missed twice. My app shows only 615 fps of velocity is left at this distance, lol??!! The conclusion was I need more velocity to shoot this far out. It took 20 mils of elevation on the turret and I heldover 3 more mils."

My conclusion was slightly flawed. See below...

Yesterday, the 26th, I shot a lot of long range and the wind was low, like 2-5 mph. I went straight to this same 290Y steel - the 7" diamond. In 3 shots I was hitting it, then continued for 2-3 more hits until the wind changed, missed a few times, then back on repeating the pattern of hits, just a matter of getting the windage correct for such a small target. The vertical was less than last time I tried in the quote above, pretty much 7-8", which I'm assuming is due to wind affecting the vertical less than before??!! It was fun! CRAZY a slug going so slow can do so well out that far away. A friend was laughing as he spotted for me and said "its amazing" you can do that, LOL! I told him here you try, he said NO I'd want one.

I think I'll put out a square 10" steel at 300Y and move the diamond to 250Y.

All the other steel closer in - 50Y to 190Y was easy to hit.

I shot a 10 shot group at 50Y that was 1/2" tall and 1" wide, would of been .35" except for 1 high hit. Shot one 5 shot group at 100Y, darn 5th shot opened a .7" group to 1".

Continuation of the SLUGSURELY chronicles. This time at 200Y down prone off the bipod and tactical bag.

Reasonable conditions, still had to dial on .7 mil of windage but hit left on average.

I'd put a few shots on my steel before I went to each bull in a attempt to stay close to the orange.

20220130_121623.1643573110.jpg

Best 5er, 1.6" wide and 1.3" tall. I set the caliper at .222" and measured outside to outside.

20220130_114301 2.1643573345.jpg

Took 3 shots and so what did I do, I shot the wrong darn bull with two more which was above this one?! This could have been a great 5er.

20220130_114334.1643573479.jpg

Not bad not great - The other groups when I started were pretty much 2.5" to 3" vertical. Either I or the rifle shoot better when the pressure goes down a bit, maybe both, these are the last two. I'll keep learning as I go and hope for better as temps increase because the lube tends to thicken up this time of year which I suspect doesn't help things. As well find a calm morning.

I hadn't tried a 100Y EBR practice target yet with slugs.

Got out late, 1:00 in the afternoon, halfway decent weather while setting up then the mean wind devils saw me getting ready and made things difficult. Switching and gusts up to 12 mph, I had to wait, and wait, and wait some more, to get my two flags lined up somewhat the same and also blowing from the dominant direction.

I'm guessing that if I had the pellet barrel on this score would be in the 190's but using slugs its much easier to score well. Somewhere around 235??? Still using wobbly bench and find myself unconsciously torquing either the gun and or the bench on occasion.

Turning the photo counterclockwise is how I had it.

20220131_152510.1643731352.jpg

Fun Fun!!!!

My new X Steel animal targets. Got em all on sale in the bargain bin and SURELY gonna be hunting these very soon way out there.

Hang em off of T-posts, no bolts to worry about, easy attachment and slotted so they won't fall off, because we'll be shooting on these with centerfires as well.

Bottom four targets are AR550 which is some tuff stuff!

20220203_133819.1643922295.jpg

Circle is 3 inch

Within two yards of - distances are;

T Rex at 125Y

Crow-zy at 150Y

Triangle at 175Y

"Already have a 5" square at 190Y"

"Already have a full size chicken at 210Y"

Moving 7" diamond to 250Y

Donkey is relocated from 250Y to 200Y,

Bunny is relocated from 275Y to 225Y.

Bobcat at 300Y

"Already have a Turkey at 421Y" I don't plan on trying to engage it with an air rifle - yet anyway at least not for the foreseeable future.

What a shooting range huh?! Ole friend John in the pic that owns the range.

Foremost little triangle spinner at 65Y, small square at 70Y, little circle at 75Y, sideways rectangle at 80Y, vertical rectangle at 90Y, and big 5" square as well as other targets next to it at 100Y. Round spinner at 112Y next to the first ram, T-rex at 125Y, round spinner at 136Y by 2nd ram, crowzy at 150Y, round spinner at 161Y, big triangle at 175Y, 5" square at 190Y.

20220204_133419.1644100982.jpg

20220204_132954.1644101335.jpg

20220204_132815.1644101674.jpg

Farther north in a different location are these longer targets.

Cicken at 210Y, popper at 225Y, donkey at 250Y, diamond at 250Y, bunny at 275Y, and bobcat at 300Y.

20220204_141508.1644101752.jpg

20220204_141515.1644102021.jpg

20220204_152222-3.1644102048.jpg

Can barely see the popper, diamond, rabbit, and bobcat.

20220204_160630-1.1644102484.jpg

Hey Steve I may have missed it in the thread but what diameter are you using for this barrel ?????? and what is your BC at say 100 yds?

LOU

Hi Lou,

Mine is .222 I believe.

I use .142 G1 but I haven't got to the fine tuning part yet for longest distances - I have to wait for calm days and shoot through the chrono at which time I'll experiment with stepped BC's in my SHOOTER app.

Can't wait to take your new steel for a spin with Crown Slaughter!

Oh yeah, me too, these won't be quite so hard as those smaller 3" circles in the wind and we can see where we are missing better!

With what time and energy I had left after setting up that day John and I went to nailing the 22" plate at 1150Y that we had exchanged for the 14".

Buzz and John probably tried out the new steel yesterday???