My ThomasAir HPX I named SURELY + swaged 42gr slugs

This post is more of a initial start and short telling of my first experience at long range with slugs in SURELY, as well as a little content about swaging. For now I don't have many photos to show of "official" targets per say, or of the steel I shot at. Part of the reason is the longer range steel past 100Y is up a very steep cinder hill that is a hard climb so these don't get painted very often. When I get a low wind day in the next few months I'll go ahead and make the climb anyway and paint those steel spinners white to see exactly where I'm hitting on the steel. For now all I know is when I hit them because of the sound and movement vs dirt and dust being kicked up when I miss. 

SURELY with the pellet barrel on, it looks the same with the slug barrel on but lacking the muzzle brake. Those 100Y targets are with pellets not slugs.

20210731_080029.1640284951.jpg

Backing up - In October I went to visit my BIL and SIL in Montrose CO, and also to visit with Mike Niksch, owner of ThomasAir, and hang out a bit, as well as to pick up my slug barrel, swage die, and sizer insert, from Mike at his residence in Olathe which is only 25 minutes away from my relatives which is quite convenient. Long story short Mike showed me how to swage pure lead cores and the basics of the process of completing a slug ready to be shot. He also tuned my gun on paper while I watched. He used his super solid bench, and his amazing one piece benchrest, and of course his refined wind reading and gun handling skills, for both pellets and slugs. He literally had SURELY using the pellet barrel and pellets, which had gone out of tune due to me messing with it, to cutting the vertical in half at 50Y within a few minutes. Then he put the slug barrel on and tuned that as well while I watched. The end result and last group of the day was a 5 shot group at 87Y that was a nice round 1/4"-ish cluster which I had shot. Sure was cool when the 5th went into the rest! Oh boy, that got me excited for the future using slugs out of SURELY!!!

20211223_105302.1640284287.jpg

N50 target at 50Y from a couple days ago using slugs out of SURELY. 3rd row, 2nd from left, is a slug I used to plug the target.

20211220_125324.1640286345.jpg

I drug my feet sourcing a Arbor press because of various reasons, one being my bad shoulder and not being sure which type/strength to order, but I finally made a decision to go for a 2 ton press which arrived a month ago. The Arbor press is needed to apply enough pressure down on the lead core "in the swage die" that forms the slug. In the same time frame I also bought a 25lb spool of lead wire from Roto Metals, and a lead wire core cutter from Corbin, as well as a bottle of swage lube.

In this photo if you enlarge it is the swage die, the top to it, and the slug ejection tool with a slug on top of it.

20211223_110301.1640284250.jpg

Making lead cores - I mounted the core cutter on my bench near the wood stove, inserted the lead wire into it, and adjusted it by trial and error to give the correct length of core. Its a simple endeavor and the goal is to let about a 1/2" of lead be ejected out of the bleed hole in the swage die. But it is time consuming and monotonous so when I'm already bored and looking for something to do this is when I head out to the shop to cut cores for 30 minutes or so. 

20211223_111306.1640284223.jpg

Swaging is simple too. Lube the cores. Insert the lead core into the swage die, make sure the swage die top is perfectly aligned and partially inside the bottom swage die, move over to the press, push down gently to make sure the top and bottom are indeed correctly fitted together, then apply pressure until the two pieces touch together. Then take the die off the press, take the top off and insert the swage die into a specially made slug ejector tool that the swag die fits in, and out pops the perfectly formed 42gr solid point rebated boat tail slug. I took 3 slugs out of the pile I had made and weighed them on my fancy powder scale, all 3 were less than a tenth of a grain from each other, more like a 20th of a grain, awesome!!!!

Next thing to do is size the slug by pushing it through the appropriately sized insert located in the size die which is screwed into my Lee press that is mounted upside down to take advantage of gravity. Out pops the sized slug into my hand and there you go, you're done with one slug.

All this takes TIME, lol, but in the end each slug is basically exactly like the next which means "PRECISION", so I'm okay with this because I'm retired and like the idea of swaging for myself and its benefits.

Yesterday I went out to my bud Johns place which is his shooting range on 20 acres of land. Sighted SURELY in at 50Y on a weathered cardboard box, last 3 shots into 1/8th", then hit the 1" spinner until I got bored. Wind was from our backs and mostly from 4 to 6 oclock at 2-6 mph. I put a .14 G1 BC into my SHOOTER ballictic app at 800 fps and got going. I shot at steel spinners at 50Y, 65Y, 70Y, 75Y, 80Y, 90Y, 100Y, 112Y, 136Y, 161Y, and 190Y, these range from 1 moa to 2.4 moa in size. It was ASTOUNDING because I hardly missed and I usually hit them at each distance on the first try! The most fun I had was tagging the 5" plate at 190Y 12 times in a row until I went off reg. I was using a .8 mil wind holdoff. But the very last thing I did was to shoot a group at 100Y on a bigger piece of steel that still had a patch of white paint left on it. I shot 6 shots which made a .4" tall by .75" wide splat. Immediately after that my friend put 3 into one splat which was 1/2" or so just left of my group.

My 6 shots in the upper left, and my friends 3 shots - lower pic at 100Y.

20211222_163253.1640287858.jpg
20211222_163258.1640287945.jpg

As a long time lover of shooting and owning some super precise firearms, as well as some of the better airguns, SURELY really impressed me using these unique swaged slugs!

Some perspective - To date, even with my Anschutz 22rf using $17 a 50 box retail match ammo I've never hit the 190Y steel that many times in a row! I never imagined I'd have a pcp air rifle that would hold its own with my rimfire at long range before yesterday, let alone exceeding it!

Thanks a bunch Mike N for creating such a great shooting rifle and slug system, to say that I'm pleased is a major understatement!

Nice report Steve. Surely is a real winner. Not only is she good looking, she has a great personality. Now bring her to XFT and shoot her in Slugs category for score with the rest of us. Don’t shoot Rimfire until practice round afterwards. Would love to see how Surely does in actual competition. I’m sure we’d all love to see slugs shoot higher score than everyone shooting pellets. It hasn’t been done yet. ;)

Nice report Steve. Surely is a real winner. Not only is she good looking, she has a great personality. Now bring her to XFT and shoot her in Slugs category for score with the rest of us. Don’t shoot Rimfire until practice round afterwards. Would love to see how Surely does in actual competition. I’m sure we’d all love to see slugs shoot higher score than everyone shooting pellets. It hasn’t been done yet. ;)

Thanks Centercut.

I might as well since there's no prize $ if I shoot and win 22rf anyway, which is an incentive. Hey at least the top 22rf shooters get medals which is appreciated.

I could go either way I suppose.

Though shooting SURELY with custom swaged slugs will be just for fun since these aren't allowed in the slug division which only mass produced ones are within the rules to be used. It's not like I need to compete for placement or money so I'm fine doing it "just because". As long as I'm having """fun""" I'm good!

But let me think about it because Ben wants a showing in 22rf division to prove to the shooting range that there is interest in XFT for 22rf.

Surely is astonishing, both in looks and performance. And what a excellent time it must have been to get to see Mike do all that.

My range is all uphill too, and it’s a journey to do it in winter lol!

I can imagine how satisfying it was to get 12 in a row at 190 yards! That is beyond astounding. Looking forward to seeing more groups! Thanks for sharing this.

True, but there are many that shoot with us thst still don’t believe slugs are as accurate as pellets out to 100 yards.

There's a lot "buts" going on here, lol.

I think sometimes that's the case, you know the flyer thing with slugs we've experienced before, "but" flyers happen with pellets too so??? One thing for sure is most slugs have higher BC's and blow in the wind less which "should" cause the outcome of higher scores "but" we haven't seen a major advantage yet in our XFT match??? I personally think POI shifts are part of the problem, "but" this happens using both projectiles.

Hopefully I won't have POI shifts with SURELY using slugs, or flyers for that matter. I plan to shoot it quite a bit when the weather cooperates so I'll know more as time goes by. Right now I don't even have 150 slugs through the gun. I have gotten some huge flyers with the MRD's which is as you know super frustrating!!!!!!!!!! 

I do know that the precision is there, no major flyers yet, dope is close, so all that remains is me doing what I'm supposed to as well as the hope of having no POI shifts.

Oh and I should mention that the drop for these slugs at 100Y going 800 fps is the same as the 25.39 MRD's going 950 fps, both at 3.5 mils using a 50y zero, which I thought was interesting.

Really appreciate the post. I’ve been wondering where those slugs come from. There is absolutely no comparison between shooting 40 grain slugs and 20 grain slugs.

I also compare and contrast with my rimfire’s, which I really don’t shoot anymore.

Awesome group at 87 yards!

love that rifle.

mike

Thanks Mike!

I've been reading your posts and enjoy your reports too! You do some great shooting and its fun to see what other people are doing at long range with slugs.

2 years ago I was soured on slugs because at the time most people didn't seem to have things figured out yet with them, well maybe some of the big bore guys did, but I wasn't willing to go that route yet. Then the few times I shot slugs out of some 50-80 fpe pcp's the precision wasn't there or the flyers were rearing there ugly heads. I got the opportunity to try a couple different $3000 slug guns that were downright dismal in the precision department so I gave up until this year when I got my Uragan King and tried slugs in it which was successful so I started to get enthused with slugs again.

That Surely is a sweet rig! I'm just an average shooter and it's post like this with your slug swaging rig and gun combination easily impresses me. It must be a nice feeling rolling your own and getting the results you're after.

Thanks!

It really is a nice feeling, Wednesday afternoon I was all smiles! Expensive stuff all this equipment I have then to have it all come together like I was hoping it would is very encouraging. 

Only problem is I woke up this morning with my back and right shoulder hurting from cranking out slugs, lol.

Surely is astonishing, both in looks and performance. And what a excellent time it must have been to get to see Mike do all that.

My range is all uphill too, and it’s a journey to do it in winter lol!

I can imagine how satisfying it was to get 12 in a row at 190 yards! That is beyond astounding. Looking forward to seeing more groups! Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks Dave.

Ha, its no fun taking that hike, I hope you don't do it in Croc's like I do, makes it even harder.

Happy shooting to you, and I'll post up more info as time goes by.

Merry Christmas to you.

@steve123

Hopefully I won't have POI shifts with SURELY using slugs, or flyers for that matter. I plan to shoot it quite a bit when the weather cooperates so I'll no more as time goes by. Right now I don't even have 150 slugs through the gun. I have gotten some huge flyers with the MRD's which is as you know is super frustrating!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the RDMs seem to have gotten worse with the number of flyers. If even Surely gets flyers then I feel better about Bleu. I was shooting with Tony on Wednesday. 50 yards. He was shooting his Crown with .25 Mk2 Heavy. I got a flyer about once every 10 shots. He had NO flyers. My groups were slightly smaller than his until the flyer that would be up to an inch from center. It’s totally frustrating to KNOW that in order to shoot MRDs n competition it is MANDATORY to sort for weight and head size. Without that you are just rolling the dice…

Hi Steve. Awesome rifle and shooting. Just a little tip. If you mount your Corbin cutter on top of your bench and cut lengths of lead wire to feed vertically it’s quite a lot quicker. Rub/clean say a 50cm length then lightly lube before you cut and make as straight as possible. Each time you open the cutter the lead will drop down ready to cut again. Gravity feed. Just keep the wire strait with one hand and cut with the other. I have a hook for the catching container and the blanks fall in. It’s easier to get a nice even coat of lube if you lube before cutting. Still give the blanks a bit of a shake in the container to get lube on the ends. 
Also if your right handed I find it quicker and easier to put the handle for the press on the left side. It means your right hand is free to grab the finished slug and put in the next blank.

Reactions: Smitty911
Hi Steve. Awesome rifle and shooting. Just a little tip. If you mount your Corbin cutter on top of your bench and cut lengths of lead wire to feed vertically it’s quite a lot quicker. Rub/clean say a 50cm length then lightly lube before you cut and make as straight as possible. Each time you open the cutter the lead will drop down ready to cut again. Gravity feed. Just keep the wire strait with one hand and cut with the other. I have a hook for the catching container and the blanks fall in. It’s easier to get a nice even coat of lube if you lube before cutting. Still give the blanks a bit of a shake in the container to get lube on the ends. 
Also if your right handed I find it quicker and easier to put the handle for the press on the left side. It means your right hand is free to grab the finished slug and put in the next blank.

Thanks for the tips AirSupply!

I put the spool up on the bench just for the photo but I usually have it on the floor and pull out a long piece, wipe it with paint thinner, crank out a bunch, then lube them right before I swage.

But I haven't attempted a more efficient method like you suggested yet so I'll give that a try.

What a Awesome gun! and great shooting.

Pretty cool to have Mike (The Master) work with you, some day I would love to meet Mike in person.

Thanks !

Mike is a down to earth guy and nice person to be with. Always been there to help as well. He's got no quit in him and just keeps at things till whatever that is has been overcome if it can be.

I tried the method you described for cutting cores which worked faster, so thanks again for that advice. The only problem I ran into is that the wire is so soft I had to learn to be more gentile when feeding it in because it bends very easily. I think if I cut it in shorter 1 foot lengths it'd go better??? It's just a matter of adapting is all.

But a friend came by and gave me an idea which should work really well. I'll mount the spool above the cutter way on top of the cabinet. That way I won't have to cut the wire into lengths and the wire will have some support because it'll be somewhat held/tensioned by the resistance on the spool. Using gravity in two ways which I will try in the next few days to see how that works.