• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My Take on the FX Crown & Smooth Twist X (Video)

This gun looks amazing if it feels like the royale its going to feel amazing plus has all the adjustability of the Impact.
I had no idea of this new .22 pellet I placed a order for .22 a couple of days after it shown on AOA just today a decided I was going to change to the. 25 for long shots and power, now I have a big dilemma on my hands, my biggest problem is I shot a lot but only have a omega 100 c.f. tank I decided to sacrifice shots over power now it sounds I don't have to

I would only suggest buying the new 25gr pellets if you have a gun capable of shooting them around 850-900fps+. They seemed to be more accurate at higher speeds, but you'll need a VERY powerful rifle to get them that fast. After I'd tuned the Crown & Impact I was testing to shoot them at 930fps, I sent some 18gr JSBs over the chrony and they were shooting at 1080fps.

I shot some of the 25gr JSBs through my 30fpe Wolverine as well, and they were fairly accurate but VERY slow, around 700 fps so pretty much a waste of time.

Reactions: cubo
"Matt_Dubber"I would only suggest buying the new 25gr pellets if you have a gun capable of shooting them around 850-900fps+. They seemed to be more accurate at higher speeds, but you'll need a VERY powerful rifle to get them that fast. After I'd tuned the Crown & Impact I was testing to shoot them at 930fps, I sent some 18gr JSBs over the chrony and they were shooting at 1080fps.

I shot some of the 25gr JSBs through my 30fpe Wolverine as well, and they were fairly accurate but VERY slow, around 700 fps so pretty much a waste of time.
Would they work on something like a Wildcat or Streamline? Or is this only designed for the fully adjustable rifles like the Impact and Crown?

At the moment no I sold my Impact just didn't feel right to me amazing rifle just not my 1st choice, if I understand correctly if I'm not willing to shot them around 900 is not worth buying a .22 but that means even if I buy the .22 I'll have to tune the crown to use as much air as a .25 rifle for the .22 to be not just accurate but, suitable for long range shooting.

Air consumption will likely be similar if you want to push the 25g .22 over 900 fps. Need to compare the ballistic coefficient of:
18g .22
25g .22
25g .25
34g .25

If the BC is similar; the .22 Smooth Twist X might benefit the shooter who wants to shoot/hunt long range with the 25g .22 caliber pellets then de-tune their Crown/Impact to punch some paper at closer range with the 15g or 18g .22 caliber.

"Michael"Air consumption will likely be similar if you want to push the 25g .22 over 900 fps. Need to compare the ballistic coefficient of:
18g .22
25g .22
25g .25
34g .25

If the BC is similar; the .22 Smooth Twist X might benefit the shooter who wants to shoot/hunt long range with the 25g .22 caliber pellets then de-tune their Crown/Impact to punch some paper at closer range with the 15g or 18g .22 caliber.
Yes, would be very interesting to do a comparison of BCs and air consumption. I am mostly excited about the new pellets because .22's are unrestricted in SA, but .25's aren't. Will keep experimenting!

Matt, I don't recall you mentioning the actual twist rates that are available, but would like to see 34gr .22 added to Michael's list. Ive found similar BCs with same settings for .22 25gr and 34gr at 920fps amd 840fps, respectively. However, I dont seem to have a barrel with a fast enough twist for appropriate testing. Wonder if the Crown will have the option for something that will shoot that?