My Squirrel Bait

Zipped a few pieces of scrap wood, some chicken wire, and a cloth for a hinge...

I'll update with dead squirrel pics tomorrow if I can drag myself out tomorrow morning.

Any tips, tricks, advice is welcome on:

-squirrel feeder design, maybe make it more homey so they stay and eat, and aren't worried by a few dead buddies lying below...

-squirrel food, I'm using unshelled peanuts and dry beans

-how to out think the squirrels

-squirrel recipes, other than double batter deep fried....

-ideas for squirrel pelts and tails, and best way to hang/dry/cure. I'm
20220128_121402.1643417285.jpg
limited on space. 

I usually dry the winter squirrel hides inside. Not in my garage. Salt for a few days. Rinse with water, dry and repeat once or twice.

On the bait, any nuts. They don't have much local food, naturally occurring in winter so the rodents key in on bird action on my feeder.. Keep the feeder full. In winter I make sure birds eat, meaning I don't put a lid on the hopper to keep birds out. The trade off is birds eat most of the food. But that might not be an issue if you get some bird species coming in you like to shoot. 

I also do use peanut butter. Take the screw off lid and use drill screwing lid into m a tree. Then cut off the bottom of the jar. Then when you need to replace just place the new jar on and cut off the bottom of jar. Obviously these are plastic jars of peanut butter. 

Feeders.. I use a US mailbox turned on the side. I used an angle grinder to cut out a feeding trough where I welded on some angled steel. I think a photo is in order. Main points are in designed something which holds about 12 - 15lbs of nuts with minimal waste. Plus being made of steel, it's pellet proof for 18 ft lbs and squirrels cannot chew through it. The last important feature is it only costed me about 20 dollars. Welding is not required. It could be done with drilling holes for the angle steel and bolting steel to mailbox. 

To out think the squirrels is be patient on the shot. Once they get hooked on nuts, they will always come back. So if you don't get a good shot, wait til next time. 

Good luck... 

I live on a farm. So corn is for the picking. I take a 1/4” x 6” lag bolt and grind the head off to a point. Drive it into a tree or post and screw a cob on. When it’s gone, screw another on. You can make a sitting board if you want. But the squirrels will just hang on to the tree to eat. 

Nuts are free. In early September, I drive down gravel roads and locate hickory, walnut and oak trees. After a big wind storm, I go back and scoop the nuts up with a scoop shovel at the edge of the roads. Doesn’t matter if there are a few rocks or sticks in the mix. The squirrels will pick them out and toss them. I fill several 5 gallon pails and use them all winter. If you are not lazy, you can sell them for good money. Hard to beat acorns for late deer season.

When I was doing a lot of taxidermy, I used Borax on the hides to dry them. It will also keep insects from eating the areas you missed removing the flesh.

I too boil the meat until it's fall-of-the-bone tender. It can then be used in many of the same recipes as chicken, pork or beef. Tacos, Itailian "beef", pulled BBQ sandwiches, soup, Hamburger helper, etc. If you're going to grill it, I suggest marinading it first to soften it.

While out hunting I like to take a fresh kill and boil it up, then add it to some Ramen noodles. Fast and easy to prepare in the woods. Just beware, some of the bones are very small. Almost like eating fish.

@v-fib Thanks for that. I'll look into sending the tails to the lure place.

@quad82 Pardon the question, but where were you sending the pelts and why? Taxidermy?

My other passion is gardening. Gonna buy a big ol bag of black oil sunflower seeds at TSC to plant randomly wherever I go, and now, also squirrel bait. (See "seed bombs")

Thank you everyone.