My short list

I'm not much inclined to collect a whole stable of guns for a host of reasons. First of all, I simply don't have the budget. Secondly, there is a good deal of truth to that old adage, "Beware the man with one gun. He most likely knows how to use it." That said, I'm looking to buy my 2nd (and probably last) air rifle. After much reading and listening, I've narrowed my choices to either an FX Crown in .22 in grey laminate or an RAW HM1000 in a LRT laminate stock. I think both guns are capable of similar levels of accuracy. I'm just a bit skeptical of the Smooth Twist X barrel. It's just one of those technologies that's a little too new for my taste.The adjustability of the Crown is a desirable feature to me. The more conventional match barrels used on the RAW appeals to me as does the fact that they're for the most part American made and serviced. On the other hand, the availability of the RAW may be uncertain due to their recent merger.

Anyone care to help me make a decision? Thanks.

I can not speak about the RAW HM1000 because I've never had one. But on the smooth twist. It nothing to be a afraid of. I have a Fx bobcat Mk1 and was skeptical of the smooth twist before I bought. Don't get me wrong it not my most accurate gun but it's still amazing. My thought on the smooth twist X is it moves back to the more traditional rifling. It will be fun to experiment with. 

I am beginning to have my doubts about RAW. I had been exchanging emails with Martin R., but the RAW web site won't let me place an order and when I try calling, I get placed on hold and end up being cut off. Not encouraging. Whatever their turn around time might be, it's meaningless if I can't get the process started. It's starting to look as though my choice might be made for me based on availability even though there are other, more important criteria.

Didn't raw and Airforce combined?
having said that the crown is a fine rifle but all the crown boys keep telling me they're going back their Impacts. I'm addicted to these airguns and I keep telling everybody that I'm not going to go 30 caliber on my impact I think I need to have my airgun intercessor hold my hand and keep me from going full bore in the 30 caliber I do love my 25 caliber

"sonny"I say the proof is in the pudding, look at the last 5 EBR results.Out of top 20 competitors 15 was smooth twist. I believe the reason is pellets aren't stabilized with spin.
Forgive this old powder-burning benchrest veteran, but if the spin imparted by the barrel's rifling doesn't stabilize pellets, then what does? I am very new to the air gun scene, so I'm willing to learn.

REDCROW ,, IF IT HELPS, IVE GOT A WILDCAT AND IMPACT BOTH SHOOT GREAT,, AND A RAW 30 CAL WITH A 25 cal ON THE WAY,,BOTH LRT HM1000X,,, I LOVE MY WILDCAT,, MAN IT SHOULDER PERFECT<THE VERSATILITY OF THE IMPACT <WHAT CAN I SAY,, IT PAVED THE WAY FOR THE ST X SYSTEM,,ON TO THE RAPID AIR WEAPONS <PEOPLE WHO OWN A RAW NO THERES NOTHING LIKE IT<<THE BUILD QUALITY AND CUSTOMIZATION IS EXCELLENT ,YOU CAN REALLY HAVE ANY MOD OF ANY KIND <<WHEN YOU SEE AND PICKUP A RAW YOULL NO YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE,,I KNOW THERES ISSUE CONTACTING THEM <RACHEL AT AIR FORCE IS MY CONTACT 8772474867 she answers the phone there and is a sweat heart ,very easy to talk with,she can put you in contact with MARTIN ,,last comment ive got negative acurasy for reccomending FX to others so no where i stand i think there great and plan on getting a CROWN synthetic at some point ,i think,,WHEN YOU SEE AND HOLD A RAPID AIR WEAPON THE OTHER FEEL LIKE TOYS ,,,RAW BARREL AIR INTERCHAGEABLE ALSO GOOD LUCK HYNZIE

I have a RAW and an Impact, both in 25 cal. While the Impact has more adjustability than the RAW, it is also a much more complex gun. There are something like 42 seals in the Impact. Having taken mine apart too replace some, it is like a watch, very delicate. The RAW is very simple and built like a tank. Just remember, the more adjustments there are, the more things to go wrong.

I have never owned an FX nor a RAW, but I spend a lot of time here reading and learning. One observation I have made lately is that there is quite a few folk selling off their practically new Crowns. Things that make you go Humn. It is of no consequence to me, since I don't plan to buy one anytime soon, but still it begs the question. 
As for RAW, as noted above, it has been sold to Airforce and I'm not quite sure that Martin will be overseeing much despite the press release, albeit I could be wrong. I read something the other day that made me think that is the reality. I think if I wanted a RAW, I would buy a used one, or wait till the dust settles. 

"redcrow"I am beginning to have my doubts about RAW. I had been exchanging emails with Martin R., but the RAW web site won't let me place an order and when I try calling, I get placed on hold and end up being cut off. Not encouraging. Whatever their turn around time might be, it's meaningless if I can't get the process started. It's starting to look as though my choice might be made for me based on availability even though there are other, more important criteria.
You may want to give Ken a call if you're interested in personalized RAW sales & service.

Please Welcome SPAW to our list of fine sponsors![/QUOTE]https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/...st-of-fine-sponsors/embed/#?secret=lVvdTZWp5z

"Michael"
You may want to give Ken a call if you're interested in personalized RAW sales & service.
Please Welcome SPAW to our list of fine sponsors!
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/...st-of-fine-sponsors/embed/#?secret=WLqSt5KBFW[/QUOTE]
Michael,
Thanks for the suggestion. I sent Ken an email last evening explaining my situation. He replied promptly and said he'd be glad to help me. I'll call him on Monday to talk about the details. He seems to be a very knowledgeable guy.

Redcrow - The Smooth Twist barrel does indeed stabilize with spin. I believe the comment made above was in error. The premise is that the initial portion of the barrel is a smooth bore, and the twist is imparted in the last 3 or 4 inches.

​The Smooth Twist is also a completely different method of creating rifling in the barrel, where the rifling is pressed in from the outside. You can do this in airgun barrels because they aren't nearly as thick or strong as PB barrels. I'm sure there are many threads on the subject. FX is extremely proud of the method and rightly so. Their guns have taken the last 5 Extreme Bench Rests, usually 2 of the top 3 spots. The accuracy is about as good as you can get with a pellet, until of course, they brought out their new Smooth Twist X design. Nice to see technology moving forward.

​Now, which gun would I buy if it were my last airgun? I'm torn between 3.
For the first time in my life, I've decided to buy the best and not scrimp, so here's the list.
  • ​FX Impact. The short frame, a bullpup really attracts me because it's really short, weight back towards the body. With the new X Barrel, it'll continue to be an accuracy kingpin.
  • FX Crown - Looks lots better than the Imact, and can be had for $1600 vs the Impact's $2000. I'd also get the extra caliber sets just to make sure I can shoot in any conditions.
  • ​FX Dreamline - Not even out yet, but promises to have the flexibility and adjustibility of the Imact and Crown with significant cost savings. And if I don't like the way I buy it, I can just buy parts to change it.

​In the end, the Dreamline will probably win. I'll have the cash for an Impact about the time the Dreamline goes into Pre-order. I figure a Bullpup should be in the FX Wildcat price range or around $1300 for Synthetic, netting a considerable savings over the Impact. It'll have the whistles and bells of an Impact, the accuracy, and everything I want for a 30% savings. I can use the savings for more equipment like a better Chronograph, ammunition and such.

John,

I've pretty much made up my mind to go with a RAW. Thanks for chiming in. The 12 - 16 week Ken mentioned is actually a blessing. It'll give me enough time to squirrel away sufficient funds. Now the question is which one. I don't want a benchrest specific rig, although I do want a rifle I could shoot in BR. I also plan to use the rifle in field target, so accuracy out to 50 yards is a requisite. I'm thinking something like the high power version of the TM1000 vertical target . Suggestions?

I was in the same situation (FX Crown vs RAW) trying to figure out which PCP to go with. I ended up ordering a RAW HM1000x LRT .22 caliber. I liked the testimonials of both the FX Crown and the RAW line of PCPs. I chose the RAW because it appears to be easier to have serviced if that is ever needed and just seems to be a superior product. I still have quite a few weeks to wait as I just recently placed my order but I plan on reporting how it performs. I also plan using it for both bencherest and small game hunting.

Now I am shopping for a compressor and I am leaning towards the Daystate LC110....sounds like a very good compressor. Good luck!