My Rocket Challenges Your Fastest Projectile! Even Some of Your PB's!

Planned flight for Saturday. 24.4 g's acceleration and 1062 mph (1557 FPS ) according to the simulator (which is remarkably accurate). I bet most pellets beat the crap out of it in acceleration, though. Probably by a lot. It would be interesting to know what kind of G's they experience when my .30 Terminator sends them down the barrel, say. Anyone know how to calculate this? I mean I'm not an actual rocket scientist. I just play one in real life sometimes.

image_67502337.JPG mANUAL.jpgimage_67239425.JPG

image_67566593.JPGimage_67208449.JPGimage_67549697.JPG

The equation you need is a=(1/2 x V^2)/s

Where a= acceleration in ft/sec^2
V = muzzle velocity (feet/sec)
s = barrel length (feet)

Example:. my R9 with a 16 inch barrel has a MV of 900 fps with a certain pellet

a = (1/2 x 900 x 900) / 1.333 feet = 304,510 ft/sec^2 or 9,460 g's

Hope this helps
9,460 g's?!? Damn. I gotta get my numbers up. So if you took the weight of 9460 pellets and focused it on one pellet, it wouldn't flatten or deform somehow? Because that's basically what's happening to it. I mean I know there's the barrel and the air pressure supporting it, but still...
Fun Fact: Humans start to pancake and go squishy at around 50 g's.

Last edited:
That is too cool. What does an engine like that cost ?
Best of luck on the launch.
First rule of Flight Club is don't talk about the cost of Flight Club! But, since it's the same rule in air gunning, I'll make an exception..
The aluminum case is re-usable so long as you don't lose it or blow it up. I think it was $90. You can use a pretty good variety of motors with it. The "Load Kit" was like $130. It comes with the fuel grains, nozzle, forward closure, and some O-rings. It takes about five minutes to have it loaded and ready to fire. I have another case like this but almost twice as long. L-class motors are available for it. I launched a six foot, 3" diameter rocket on one:
Hurricane L1030.jpg
Mother of God.

First rule of Flight Club is don't talk about the cost of Flight Club! But, since it's the same rule in air gunning, I'll make an exception..
The aluminum case is re-usable so long as you don't lose it or blow it up. I think it was $90. You can use a pretty good variety of motors with it. The "Load Kit" was like $130. It comes with the fuel grains, nozzle, forward closure, and some O-rings. It takes about five minutes to have it loaded and ready to fire. I have another case like this but almost twice as long. L-class motors are available for it. I launched a six foot, 3" diameter rocket on one:
View attachment 332157
Mother of God.
Nice. Wow, wasn’t aware of the $$ rule. I don’t know much about amateur rocketry. It’s nice that engine bodies are rebuildable.

View attachment 332157
Mother of God.

What sort of FAA clearance do you have to get to launch one of those off? Considering I'm not allowed to fly any of my RC airplanes that are over 250grams without a wireless ID tag on it, I can't imagine you can just go blowing those things off willy nilly.

What sort of FAA clearance do you have to get to launch one of those off? Considering I'm not allowed to fly any of my RC airplanes that are over 250grams without a wireless ID tag on it, I can't imagine you can just go blowing those things off willy nilly.
An astute deduction, sir. Generally the local clubs will contact the nearest FAA airport of any consequence and get an altitude waiver. The altitude of the waiver is determined by a number of things. We are fortunate at our club to have one at 13,500' AGL (2.56 miles). Not many flyers even approach that at most launches. But I say "use the space available!" lol I like my rockets to fly high and fast and frequently go above 10,000'. Tracking becomes a challenge at those altitudes, though.

There are two main governing bodies: National Association of Rocketry (low, mid, and high power) and Tripoli Rocketry Association (high-power only). I'm a Tripoli member because NAR guys are a bunch of weenies. Local clubs are almost always prefectures of either of these orgs or both (like ours). Each has a three-level certification program for high-power fliers. I am certified Level 2 with Tripoli, which allows me to fly full L-class motors and smaller. A full "L" motor is absolutely beastly. This level provides access to all the power I'll need for a while. Level 3 (M-class motors and up) reload kits are several hundred to thousands of dollars per flight.

The certification program works, though. I breezed through Level 1 first try and got cocky. I rushed to try certing at Level 2 by basically building an up-scaled version of the same rocket and put a K motor in it. It folded in half like a taco at Max Q while doing about 760 mph. Came down like confetti. Crashed on the two following attempts as well. Crashing expensive rockets and equipment will learn ya real quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: UCChris
An astute deduction, sir. Generally the local clubs will contact the nearest FAA airport of any consequence and get an altitude waiver. The altitude of the waiver is determined by a number of things. We are fortunate at our club to have one at 13,500' AGL (2.56 miles). Not many flyers even approach that at most launches. But I say "use the space available!" lol I like my rockets to fly high and fast and frequently go above 10,000'. Tracking becomes a challenge at those altitudes, though.

There are two main governing bodies: National Association of Rocketry (low, mid, and high power) and Tripoli Rocketry Association (high-power only). I'm a Tripoli member because NAR guys are a bunch of weenies. Local clubs are almost always prefectures of either of these orgs or both (like ours). Each has a three-level certification program for high-power fliers. I am certified Level 2 with Tripoli, which allows me to fly full L-class motors and smaller. A full "L" motor is absolutely beastly. This level provides access to all the power I'll need for a while. Level 3 (M-class motors and up) reload kits are several hundred to thousands of dollars per flight.

The certification program works, though. I breezed through Level 1 first try and got cocky. I rushed to try certing at Level 2 by basically building an up-scaled version of the same rocket and put a K motor in it. It folded in half like a taco at Max Q while doing about 760 mph. Came down like confetti. Crashed on the two following attempts as well. Crashing expensive rockets and equipment will learn ya real quick.

I appreciate you taking the time to educate me. 10,000 feet sounds absolutely insane, considering the adrenaline I get flying my RC planes at just a couple hundred feet.

If I may ask, you mentioned tracking gets difficult at such extreme elevations. I'd imagine trying to determine the "re-entry" path is difficult considering atmospheric/weather conditions. On a launch of such scale, how far away from the launch site are you having these hit the ground? Do you track via GPS?

I appreciate you taking the time to educate me. 10,000 feet sounds absolutely insane, considering the adrenaline I get flying my RC planes at just a couple hundred feet.

If I may ask, you mentioned tracking gets difficult at such extreme elevations. I'd imagine trying to determine the "re-entry" path is difficult considering atmospheric/weather conditions. On a launch of such scale, how far away from the launch site are you having these hit the ground? Do you track via GPS?
I do use GPS as well as a doppler radio tracker. When flying above 5000', you are above the "surface winds" and the winds up there can be 90 or 180 degrees shifted. I had my girlfriend with me at one launch and we were trying to track the 3" Exocet that just went to 9000' feet. The location on the GPS app showed a spot I swore was impossible, and that it was just showing the nearest cell tower (its backup method for location). She kept telling me to go there and I kept telling her to stop being stupid. EVERY SINGLE rocket drifted to the southwest that day and that's where I was trying to find it. We gave up after an hour and drove back to the launch site. There was a squad car there and a female cop was pulling my rocket out of the back seat! It had landed exactly where the GPS showed, of course. One mile due EAST in someone's front yard.

I do use GPS as well as a doppler radio tracker. When flying above 5000', you are above the "surface winds" and the winds up there can be 90 or 180 degrees shifted. I had my girlfriend with me at one launch and we were trying to track the 3" Exocet that just went to 9000' feet. The location on the GPS app showed a spot I swore was impossible, and that it was just showing the nearest cell tower (its backup method for location). She kept telling me to go there and I kept telling her to stop being stupid. EVERY SINGLE rocket drifted to the southwest that day and that's where I was trying to find it. We gave up after an hour and drove back to the launch site. There was a squad car there and a female cop was pulling my rocket out of the back seat! It had landed exactly where the GPS showed, of course. One mile due EAST in someone's front yard.

Ha, great story! Thanks for sharing your hobby!

9,460 g's?!? Damn. I gotta get my numbers up. So if you took the weight of 9460 pellets and focused it on one pellet, it wouldn't flatten or deform somehow? Because that's basically what's happening to it. I mean I know there's the barrel and the air pressure supporting it, but still...
Fun Fact: Humans start to pancake and go squishy at around 50 g's.
Well let's look at the force on a typical pellet while accelerating. One G is a force equal to the weight of a pellet.

A 7.9gr CPHP x 9460 G acceleration = 74,734 gr force/7,000 gr/pound = 10.7 pounds accelerating force. Given that a pellet is metal and confined in a barrel it won't squish it. Hope this puts it in perspective.

Well let's look at the force on a typical pellet while accelerating. One G is a force equal to the weight of a pellet.

A 7.9gr CPHP x 9460 G acceleration = 74,734 gr force/7,000 gr/pound = 10.7 pounds accelerating force. Given that a pellet is metal and confined in a barrel it won't squish it. Hope this puts it in perspective.
I bet you can't calculate the force of a Chuck Norris roundhouse, nerd.

Last edited:
Very cool stuff. Brought me back to my elementary school days playing with Estes rockets
Yeah, me too. I had the Estes Sizzler starter kit with the launch pad and all that. The first launch was completely unsanctioned and took place in the back yard with the intent to keep it secret as I was under strict orders not to launch without parental supervision. That was a hard secret to keep, though, when the rocket was never seen again.

@One-Man_Riot is there a boom when the rocket go's supersonic?
There is, but hearing it depends on if you're in the "cone" or not. Imagine the rocket's nosecone extending its dimensions to the ground from wherever it is (so the higher up the rocket goes supersonic, the bigger the radius at the base of the cone). Inside it, you likely won't hear it. Outside of it you usually do unless the rocket is real small.

This is my 2.6" Pike that took off so fast and went supersonic so close to the ground, you can hear the "pop pop" in the video. On the onboard vid of the same flight, you can tell when it goes supersonic by the flickering of the exhaust plume just before burnout. That's the double shockwave interacting with it as the rocket punches through the sound barrier.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT and rc4fun