My review of the Daystate Red Wolf Standard .22 - GCU2

This review is a little dated, and for that I’m sorry. I had originally intended to post this back in early July but life, military duty, and a “Derecho” tearing through the Midwest delayed my plans. Better late than never!

Thanks to the excellent review posted by @franklink, I had decided to purchase this rifle. My goal was to have one rifle that could shoot multiple types of ammunition by simply changing the power level. I was originally considering the Delta Wolf but the delays and $3k price tag had me looking at other options. I had previously tried to meet my needs with both an FX Crown and FX Impact. Both of those were excellent rifles but changing power levels was tedious and not repeatable. I could change settings, but it was difficult to get things back to exactly the same place I had it before. I wanted to be able raise the reg pressure to shoot heavy pellets for a night hunt and then back down to normal levels for target shooting the next day without much fuss. If I had a bigger budget, I’d simply have one rifle for each caliber or pellet type I wanted to shoot but I’ve got a kid going into college and another in daycare so I’m fresh out of cash for the foreseeable future. 😊

I’m not the most eloquent writer, so please bear with me. Here goes…

What did I get?

Daystate Red Wolf Standard .22 in walnut – GCU 2 version

0db compact moderator

ATN X-sight pro 4k

Eagle vision scope mounts (IPS-30)

Eagle vision dovetail to picatinny adapters

Eagle vision side rail attachments (for my IR light)

Negrini hard case

The good?

• Beautiful stock
  • Electronic trigger
  • High shot count
  • Fit and finish is excellent
  • Lights out accurate
  • Quiet
  • Customer service and warranty

The bad?

• Quality control from factory lacking on a couple items
  • Does not come with a case
  • No software update for new magazines
  • Safety switch sticks just a little

First impressions

After opening the box and admiring the beautiful rifle, I had a couple questions.

What is this?

IMG_6524.1600897470.JPG

And why does it say 230 Bar? I thought the GCU 2 was supposed to be 250 Bar? The test sheet shows 44.7 FT/LB and the internal electronics are marked with “250 Bar”

IMG_6525.1600897544.JPG

IMG_6592.1600897562.JPG

IMG_6526.1600897578.JPG

Maybe I just got one of the first production runs of the GCU2? I noticed my serial number is lower than the one @franklink tested so it’s possible that it was a simple mistake. I sent an email to Daystate to confirm and also called AoA about the mysterious parts.

AoA confirmed that the parts were from the old-style magazine indexing pin. AoA had upgraded the rifle in the shop before sending it to me, but they included the old parts in case I ever wanted to switch back. I appreciate them doing this, but maybe labeling the bag would help avoid confusion. They also confirmed that my rifle should be good up to 250 BAR.

I said earlier that I also emailed Daystate directly. I wanted written confirmation that I was safe to fill up to 250 BAR – because I wanted the extra shot count but I also wanted it in writing so that I would know my warranty wouldn’t be voided in the future if I filled higher than the sticker on the rifle. A couple days later I got an email back from Simon Cockayne at Daystate England. He said that he checked my serial number and it was indeed a 250 BAR fill. There must have been a mix-up at the factory. He even offered to send me a new sticker to put on the rifle so it would be marked correctly. He sent it out right away and I received it a couple weeks later. I really appreciated that service from Daystate. Having it labeled correctly will help with resale, should I ever decide to sell the rifle.

IMG_E6680.1600897607.JPG

Let’s start with the good stuff

That beautiful Minelli stock! This thing is a work of art.

IMG_6571.1600897643.JPG

IMG_6576.1600897654.JPG

IMG_6577.1600897664.JPG

IMG_6579.1600897985.JPG

I tested the rifle with several different pellets and slugs to see how it shoots and what kind of FPS I’m getting.

JSB 15.89 – 917 average FPS on low power

JSB 18.13 – 870 average on low power, 953 on medium

H&N 21.14 – 886 average on medium, 952 on high

JSB 25.39 redesign – 901 average on high

FX Hybrid 22 gr – 891 average on high

NSA 20.2 – 812 average on medium, 927 on high

I’m a dummy and forgot to mark each target with the ammo used so you can’t tell which group is which ammo, but these groups are all shot at 50 yards with the above ammo. The H&N, NSA 20.2, and JSB 18.13 gave me the best accuracy.

IMG_6598.1600897708.JPG
IMG_6599.1600897709.JPG
IMG_6682.1600897712.JPG
IMG_6683.1600897713.JPG
IMG_6684.1600897715.JPG
IMG_6685.1600897716.JPG
IMG_6686.1600897718.JPG
IMG_6687.1600897719.JPG
IMG_6688.1600897721.JPG
IMG_6689.1600897723.JPG
IMG_6690.1600897724.JPG
IMG_6691.1600897725.JPG

The trigger – I know it’s been said before, but the electronic trigger is just like clicking a mouse. Very little effort is required to fire the rifle and the trigger pull is consistent every time.

The electronics – I like the battery used in the Red Wolf compared to the 6x AA’s used in the Pulsar when it first came out. This new system is both rechargeable and lighter weight. I also feel that the battery placement in the grip helps with the overall balance of the rifle.

The ergonomics – it’s very comfortable to hold and shoot. The grip is nicely textured and the adjustable cheek rest provides plenty of height, even for my giant scope.

Noise – out of the box this rifle is very quiet. I’m sure that has to do with the shrouded and baffled barrel. Adding the 0db moderator made things whisper quiet and very backyard friendly.

The Scope

The ATN X-sight 4k has been reviewed many times so I won’t spend too much time on this. I went with this scope because I wanted the ability to store a ballistic profile for each pellet so the scope will then compensate and adjust the crosshair based on my actual distance to target and the profile I have selected.

It’s not perfect, but it gets me on target every time. I’m more concerned with hitting “minute of squirrel” than I am winning a benchrest competition. I will say that this scope is heavy and doesn’t give the greatest daytime image… but man is it good at night! This package is way more compact that strapping a Nite Site to a traditional scope.

I wish ATN also included dovetail rings in the box, but they only provide picatinny so I needed to purchase an adapter.

The rings

These Eagle Vision rings are NICE! Well built, and lightweight. I originally went for them because they were one of the few that offered a side mount picatinny attachment because I needed that to mount my IR light. However, I was very impressed with the quality of the product.

And now for the not so good stuff

The case (or lack thereof) - C’mon Daystate, why didn’t you include a case with this rifle? For $2,399 and up you should have included one. Your competition is including a case with their rifles that cost less. I’m glad to see that you’re going to be fixing this with the Delta Wolf.

I went and found the vendor who supplies the OEM cases for the FX and Daystate and bought one myself. I believe this is the same case that Daystate shipped with the Serie Rosso editions, only in black. I got mine with the pluck foam so I could mold it to my rifle. All it needs now is a nice Daystate sticker to cover up that Negrini logo! 😉

IMG_E6991.1600897799.JPG
IMG_E6992.1600897799.JPG

Quality control issues - I already mentioned the SWP sticker being wrong earlier, but my biggest issue was a problem I found while shooting groups. As soon as I started my slug testing, I heard a loud POP and a rush of air blew in my face. I thought “oh great, I must have blown a breech o-ring or something” but after closer inspection I noticed something else:

IMG_6601.1600897844.JPG
IMG_6602.1600897845.JPG
IMG_6603.1600897846.JPG
IMG_6604.1600897848.JPG
IMG_6609.1600897848.JPG

Evidently, the barrel had not been installed properly, or at least not tightened down enough from the factory. It had come loose and was working its way out of the action. I pulled the barrel out and inspected everything. I couldn’t find any damaged o-rings and aside from a little scratching around the screw holes, everything looked ok. I re-seated the barrel and tightened down everything and it’s been good since.

Software support – the new magazines are great but Daystate didn’t update the software to match so the magazine counter is never accurate. If Daystate is going to start shipping all new rifles with the updated magazines I think they should have a way to update the software to reflect the new magazine capacity. Maybe an option through the programmer?

Speaking of magazines – it’s a good thing that my rifle got upgraded to the new style because I could see slight damage to the pellet probe on the day I received it. Since this was a new rifle, that damage must have happened in the short time it was being tested at the factory and/or dealer.

IMG_6600.1600897877.JPG

The safety – mine sticks just a little. This may just be a quirk of my rifle but I figured I’d mention it.

Is there anything I would change?

Not much, honestly. Maybe a black synthetic stock option with a factory picatinny rail would be nice, or perhaps the option for a larger magazine. Or maybe an included case! lol 😉

Would I buy it again?

Heck yes! This gun is super accurate, quiet, and fun to shoot. I might pick up a lighter scope for daytime use to make the overall package lighter but otherwise I’m very impressed with my purchase. Aside from the few items I mentioned above, there is not much I would change about the rifle.

Thanks to @franklink and the folks at AoA for all your help getting this into my hands. If anyone has any questions, feel free to drop a line below and I’ll do my best to answer. Happy shooting!

IMG_6578.1600897933.JPG
IMG_6591.1600897934.JPG

I also have a Red Wolf standard .22. It's a great rifle. Mine came with a bad barrel, but AOA sent me a replacement, and it's been great ever since. I switched to the new style, and CARM mags, so I replaced the pin actuator with the new style pin/plug. 

The electronic trigger is not my favorite, but it is very satisfactory. Being an old fart, I'm not sure that I'll ever be a big electronic rifle fan, but they are interesting. I would like to see an electronic ignition system, paired with a match quality mechanical trigger. I'm not an engineer, but in my feeble mind, I can see how that might work.

One could be a cynic and say, the electronic rifle is the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem! But I admire the technology. 

I also have a Red Wolf standard .22. It's a great rifle. Mine came with a bad barrel, but AOA sent me a replacement, and it's been great ever since. I switched to the new style, and CARM mags, so I replaced the pin actuator with the new style pin/plug. 

The electronic trigger is not my favorite, but it is very satisfactory. Being an old fart, I'm not sure that I'll ever be a big electronic rifle fan, but they are interesting. I would like to see an electronic ignition system, paired with a match quality mechanical trigger. I'm not an engineer, but in my feeble mind, I can see how that might work.

One could be a cynic and say, the electronic rifle is the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem! But I admire the technology.

What was wrong with your barrel?

I think the electronics are just a different way to accomplish the same thing that FX is doing. One approach is fully mechanical adjustment and the other is electronic but they’re both trying to provide some adjustment to the shooter to fine tune the experience.

I’m never going to be a pro level tuner so I appreciate the simplicity of electronics vs the mechanical adjustment.

What was wrong with your barrel?

I think the electronics are just a different way to accomplish the same thing that FX is doing. One approach is fully mechanical adjustment and the other is electronic but they’re both trying to provide some adjustment to the shooter to fine tune the experience.

I’m never going to be a pro level tuner so I appreciate the simplicity of electronics vs the mechanical adjustment.

I don't know specifically what the barrel issue was, just wouldn't shoot. The replacement barrel has been amazingly accurate from day one. 

The FX triggers are junk compared to first class match grade triggers, such as Steyr and Anschutz. But, I agree that they work okay for general purposes. 

Sorry for the thread revival.

@Maineiac - If you still have this rifle, do you still feel the same about it? Any other info you care to share now that it's been about a year?

It’s still a great rifle. I had an issue with the electronics and they had to replace the GCU board on it under warranty but after that it was shooting great with no further issue. I feel that is pretty common with electronics - they either fail early due to a defect, or last forever if you take care of them.

As another point of view from an owner, my RW HP .22 w/GCU 2 electronics remains a real joy to shoot and has given me zero issues since I purchased it used from AOA about a year ago. Working with it more and more, with different projectiles at the different easily available power settings, it continues to impress. My recent work with it shooting Howler slugs was great fun, and the targets ended up very satisfying.

There is a real beauty to the laminate stocks - red and blue - but they have a flashiness which sometimes I can do without. My used gun was available in walnut, so that's what I have (but I have had red lam RWs in the past). That walnut stock is functional, comfortable, and probably like the Safari stock (I've never actually seen one of those in the flesh), calls out 'all business.' 

Triggers are such a personal thing, but personally I absolutely love the Daystate electronic triggers - and the electronic system's faster lock time as compared to a mechanical system very likely contributes to the accuracy I get out of my RW. Very efficient with air use due to the level of control brought to the shooting cycle, and although putting out up to 65 ft-lbs in .22 cal, with a 0dB at the muzzle, some of my shooting friends think that my gun is broken when I shoot it. At least until they look out at the target.

I say this about some of my guns, and I have stuck by it - at least in most cases. Never gonna sell my RW HP.

Thanks for the follow and additional info. Very much appreciated. Still trying to figure out if I should go with HP, or standard.

I also view the Daystate electronic trigger as excellent. As to the "what is this" found on unpacking, could it be a magazine advancement actuator pin?

It's easy to miss but, Maineiac confirmed " AoA confirmed that the parts were from the old-style magazine indexing pin. AoA had upgraded the rifle in the shop before sending it to me, but they included the old parts in case I ever wanted to switch back. I appreciate them doing this, but maybe labeling the bag would help avoid confusion. They also confirmed that my rifle should be good up to 250 BAR. " in the first post. It's right above a picture of Daystate letterhead/envelope with the new SWP stickers.

As another point of view from an owner, my RW HP .22 w/GCU 2 electronics remains a real joy to shoot and has given me zero issues since I purchased it used from AOA about a year ago. Working with it more and more, with different projectiles at the different easily available power settings, it continues to impress. My recent work with it shooting Howler slugs was great fun, and the targets ended up very satisfying.

There is a real beauty to the laminate stocks - red and blue - but they have a flashiness which sometimes I can do without. My used gun was available in walnut, so that's what I have (but I have had red lam RWs in the past). That walnut stock is functional, comfortable, and probably like the Safari stock (I've never actually seen one of those in the flesh), calls out 'all business.' 

Triggers are such a personal thing, but personally I absolutely love the Daystate electronic triggers - and the electronic system's faster lock time as compared to a mechanical system very likely contributes to the accuracy I get out of my RW. Very efficient with air use due to the level of control brought to the shooting cycle, and although putting out up to 65 ft-lbs in .22 cal, with a 0dB at the muzzle, some of my shooting friends think that my gun is broken when I shoot it. At least until they look out at the target.

I say this about some of my guns, and I have stuck by it - at least in most cases. Never gonna sell my RW HP.

I agree, my RW has proven totally reliable, very air efficient, and accurate. Mine is a standard power .22, and with silencer, it's extremely quiet. Regarding the trigger, yes, a very subjective topic. IMO, electronics is an easy way to get a good trigger, but impossible to get an excellent trigger. But, that's because I've been exposed to the best mechanical match triggers, such as Steyr, Anschutz, etc. But, folks like me will still be satisfied with the electronic trigger for all around use, and most of the buyers will be blown away with it, so it's kind of a can't-lose situation for Daystate. 

I agree, my RW has proven totally reliable, very air efficient, and accurate. Mine is a standard power .22, and with silencer, it's extremely quiet. Regarding the trigger, yes, a very subjective topic. IMO, electronics is an easy way to get a good trigger, but impossible to get an excellent trigger. But, that's because I've been exposed to the best mechanical match triggers, such as Steyr, Anschutz, etc. But, folks like me will still be satisfied with the electronic trigger for all around use, and most of the buyers will be blown away with it, so it's kind of a can't-lose situation for Daystate.

Thanks for your input. Your knowledge and experience with different triggers - especially the highest end ones - well exceeds mine. And your sum up of 'a can't-lose situation for Daystate' is very well stated.

Thanks for the follow and additional info. Very much appreciated. Still trying to figure out if I should go with HP, or standard.

There are a whole lot of "apples to oranges" statements following, but this has been my personal experience. Your mileage may definitely vary.

I like both the available power and the polygonal barrel of the HP models. My .177 RW Standard was dead-nuts accurate out to about 50 yards in my hands, but couldn't hold a candle to my .22 HP at 100. And I hadn't previously even been aware of .22 cal JSB Jumbo Beasts (33.956 gr) until I saw them in stock at a shop a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait to try them in my RW HP, because it will likely have plenty of power to shoot them.

So, there is the major difference between .177 cal and .22 cal shooting over longer distances which could well explain what I described above. So how about some more apples and oranges? I don't regularly shoot my Pulsars much more than 75 yards or so, but my HP .177 is more accurate in my hands as compared to my std power .22. Different guns than the RW for sure, but also available in std or HP, and also fully electronically controlled shot cycle. And the HP .177 Pulsar doesn't even have the same potential advantage of a higher power RW, which has the polygon barrel.

Personally I like having the extra power available to me, and perhaps a little extra muzzle velocity you may get from a polygon barrel. Especially when you might want to shoot heavier projectiles over longer distances (and when you do, the gun still shoots like a pussy cat). And with the RW system, it is really easy to turn the power down if you don't need it. I describe my initial testing with Howler slugs above. My initial 52 yard groups with them were pretty good for slugs, in my opinion. But then I turned the power down from HI to MID, and they tightened right up. Haven't even done any chrono testing at those settings, but from accuracy testing what that slug likes in this gun is obvious. And being able to so easily reduce the power - that's a winner to me.

Then, of course, one has the option of either a Daystate Programmer or an HeliBoard if they want to fine tune even more. Life is good!

Downsides to the HP models? The only one I have found is that I could/can easily shoot my .177 std RW and my .22 std Pulsar in my back yard without any additional moderation. The HP models of both guns are louder to the point where I felt the need to further moderate them. I was really surprised at the bark out of the .177 HP Pulsar.

I also view the Daystate electronic trigger as excellent. As to the "what is this" found on unpacking, could it be a magazine advancement actuator pin?

It's easy to miss but, Maineiac confirmed " AoA confirmed that the parts were from the old-style magazine indexing pin. AoA had upgraded the rifle in the shop before sending it to me, but they included the old parts in case I ever wanted to switch back. I appreciate them doing this, but maybe labeling the bag would help avoid confusion. They also confirmed that my rifle should be good up to 250 BAR. " in the first post. It's right above a picture of Daystate letterhead/envelope with the new SWP stickers.

Yep, didn't see it. Do I still get a prize for a good guess?