My RAW HM1000X

Greetings from sunny New Zealand and happy thanksgiving to all.
My RAW HM1000X is in country, Martin informs me it's the first to get here. There's a wee bit of a story to tell concerning this. Mine was ordered just before .30cal ordered his, so it arrived in Seattle where it had to wait for my arrival. Well the hunting trip, a bit of shopping, and following Martin's advice on removing the air behind me I headed home. I was able to show TSA that I had removed the fill port and the gauge pointed to empty, to which I was told okay this time but next time the air bottle would need to be removed. I found out the air bottle came out very easily when the air was removed. Martin also warned me not to dry fire it with no air in it "you WILL bend the
valve."
I had a little trouble getting her to hold air but upon more advice from Martin I managed to and after a night's sleep I found the pressure had remained up much to my relief!
Wednesday morning early [before the wind - which never came] I had the BSA and the RAW out at the range. Topped up the new one with the Hill's pump and set a target at 25 meters for sighting in the Aeon scope. Moved to the 50 meter for a 5 shot adjustment with the last two center side by side. Then off to the 100 meter where I fired 3 shots to see how much hold over was required. The bottom cross bar was the ticket for 100 m. The only 5 shot group I fired was, 4 measuring .76" with a single flyer 1 1/4" low right. The BSA was so tame after firing the 1000X I thought it wasn't firing. I enjoyed the feel of a little recoil, now I have to phone my cousin and see if there's any rabbits around his place.

My wood isn't as nice as .30cal's or the other one that went to Washington State, but I have no complains and believe that good things are always worth the wait. I have photos but I'm waiting for a simple upload system here at A.N. before I do send any. [Any chance of that team?]

Thanks for your support, those of you who helped me through this with my questions. 

I would be interested to know how much power yours is putting out. Mine was only putting out 43 fpe for a .25. It was shooting 25 gr. JSB kings at 833 fps and 34 gr. mk 2 heavies at only 739. I thought this was strange as the gun is advertised on RAW,s website as a 55 fpe gun. I asked Martin about this and he said any faster could compromise accuracy. Like many here I was interested in pushing the 34 grain JSB heavies to over 900 fps to see if the accuracy holds up with the dramatic power increase they give. Martin said it would require enlarging the barrel port and maybe something else? So being the tinkerer I am I enlisted the help of a fellow forum member (thanks weatherby!) who told me how to turn up the power. So now with the hammer spring tension turned up as far as it will go (only two turns past stock) and the regulator tweaked a bit, I am now getting 56.5 fpe. Its now shooting the Kings at 952.5 and the heavies at 866 fps. That's much better and the subjective power increase is significant! And ya it does have a bit of recoil now. I like that also! It really hits hard with 34 grain Heavies! That's as much as I can get without enlarging the transfer port in the barrel. Would love to get them up to 950 and see how they do but then I don't want to modify the gun so that it can't be returned to stock easily. I am going to test the accuracy of the new power setting this Thanksgiving holiday starting today hopefully. Looks like the weather is finally going to cooperate.

The bottle can be removed without empting the air. Just unscrew it slowly. That's a cool feature! Means you can get a spare one for long hunts.

So the first HM1000x in New Zealand huh? That's cool!

Hey 30cal. I will have to get the range chrony one day, I also have jury duty coming up. However I too will be interested in it's power, so this will happen as soon as I can arrange. I did bring over some large pellets, 33 grainers but my group was with 25.39 ers. I'd like to be out there today but we are in the throes of a hot dry nor-westerly wind which blew in at 3 a.m. It's that season.
I hope you are enjoying your new acquisition, and that you manage to get more out of her. Heavier weight pellets are a little harder to come by here so I need to weigh up the options. Being a long way from help I doubt I'll be tinkering very much. Thank you for you comments and questions. Stay dry in your area if at all pos. B 

Thank you 30cal and spysir. 30 for taking the time to post those pictures on disassembly and spysir for showing interest. For you boys in WA state, I had a super time in Eastern Wa elk hunting with a group of splendid people, fellow hunters. Meeting up with new friends and some of my family members. The smell of the pines and sage, sighting and photoing many animals, a lot of deer that weren't there during the deer season [how do they know when it's not their turn?] Two elk were taken in our camp, none by yours truly, I couldn't take the meat home anyway. I put forth the idea of a book for elk campfire stories being put together and to my surprise Brett cottoned onto the idea. Most of those stories had me in stitches while huddled around the fire. I was asked if i'd be back next season to which I replied, "It would be pushing my luck considerably, but I'd aim for 2017." So it's save those dollars up for that time again in the timber. Brian

Further edition. 30cal may be interested.....
Well it was a different story tonight at the range. My groups at 100 m were to say the least, disappointing. So I set up at the 50 mark and fired a 4 shot group, three went through one hole no bigger than .2" with the group overall measuring 1/2" When I went down to collect the dismal lot from 100 I noticed the wind was all over the show yet at 50 m it was fine. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. The highlight of the evening came about when a nice gent set up his chrony and let me put a couple rounds through it. 1st - 942 fps. 2nd 940 fps. That's just what they said it would do out of the factory. I will do more time through the chrony sometime soon. As for tomorrow I will turn my hand at the rabbits out there by the horses. Take care. Brian

Thanks for the info Moorair! That velocity is with the 25grain Kings I assume? Mine was only shooting them at 833fps. Strange! After I adjusted it its now at 952.
I'm also having the same issue with 100 yard accuracy. I can get 1/2" to 3/4"groups at 50 yds most of the time but that does not translate to 100 yards. I can not get less than 2 1/2" at 100. I have tried lots of different pellets and found 3 that are about tied for best: JSB kings, JSB heavys and Benjamin 27 grain dome's. Even before I adjusted the power. The gun has actually improved in accuracy at 50yd since the power increase but it did not help at 100. Maybe its just me but I'm a bit frustrated at the moment. I may have to try the slow motion video through the scope idea to see what the pellets are doing.

I sure hope you will get that sorted, and soon. Yes my vel is with the 25.39 gr JSB's. We have flags at the range to show the wind, I guess I'd better use them in future. It had to be the wind conditions that made it look like a $500 rifle. My best time is the early morning still. A friend at the range is going to gift me 20 Kodiaks to try, not sure of the weight. 
I started to feel the frustration a little myself last night and am happy that it was the wind [?] I think your plan of attacking the problem with the video is a sound first step having seen Ted's spiralling shots videos.

Nothing to report on the rabbit front except I had to put it off until tomorrow. Better half's request.
How's your weather holding for shooting? Is your shooting platform stable enough? Ours are rock solid fortunately. 
I had an email today from Martin R informing me there are RAW's in NZ - target models. I replied I'd cut my bragging down a little.
Best wishes to you [& all] Brian 

Seasons Greetings.
After three trips out to Templeton I can claim twelve rabbits for the 1000X. I do need to see exactly where it is hitting at different distances. Some targets can be as close as 20 feet. 
One thing I have found that's a detriment for you fellows to watch out for, the mounts I have on the RAW are too low. The Aeon 8-32 scope situated right for my eye will not allow the mag to be slotted.The turret assembly is the catching point. I found for benchrest it was okay but out hunting I can't lean into the shot. My cheek is towards the rear of the stock. It is about 1/8th to 3/16th too low. I may have to get higher rings one day. 
I took the rifle to the range on the way home the other day and a missed placed Aussie saw it and laughed, "What the hell is that?" Now here's a guy who's shooting a brass framed 44/40 with a bent barrel. He's a hard case, I'll have to leave a target out there for him to view.
Good shooting and happy Christmas. B

Hi Marcella69. My HM is in .25 and it is regulated, as I believe all of them are. My best shot on game so far was on a hare (like a jack rabbit) paced off from the spot it was hit, and dropped, back to my rest [fence post] was 137 paces. Hit through the neck just below the scull. I smiled all the way home.
​I would say the .25 cal has been a delightful step up from the .22 cal. Power wise it just has a better feel and hits with authority.
​Happy shooting to you.

Thanks, Moorair. .25 cal. is a good choice. I may have gone a bridge too far with the .357 regulated. I am just obsessed with an air rifle that has the power and accuracy profile of a .22lr rimfire (w/ a decent shot count). You get a flatter trajectory and use much less air doin' it. I loved my Daystate Pulsar .25. She was plenty powerful, shot like a laser, and the shot count was off the hizzle! Plus, the RAWs are true works of art. My Pulsar and FX Impact looked like something out of The Terminator!

What style stock did you get? Did you get the adjustable cheek piece, Euro Rail, or sling studs? BTW, AGN has upgraded its pic-post platform. Just click on the photo icon in the function bar at the top of the text window and go to town!

At any rate, I am giddy with anticipation waiting for my RAW HMx .357 (130 ft-lbf regulated)! She oughta serve me well for small game and the occasional coyote for the foreseeable future (until the next flavor-of-the-month comes out, of course ;-)).