• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My purchase

Keyman,

I received my tuned .25 cal. Cricket from CF about a month ago but I haven't had a chance to shoot it. I can tell you the notes on the test he did indicates it likes the JSB Heavy MK l and MK ll 34 gr. The MK l string 908 to 920 fps(ten shots). The MK ll string 922 to 925 (five shots). Also the JSB King .25 gr. His note at the bottom says "Likes them fast". Hope this helps. Dime sized groups at 40 yards.

I'm recanting about all of my previous report like I said I've let up on the shoulder I quit cleaning the barrel I watched my groups Tighten from an inch to a quarter inch at 50 yards I'm shooting 1 inch groups at 130 yards I do have a flyer here and there but I do believe most of my accuracy problems and I think some of my speed problems was that I was cleaning my Barrel every couple of hundred rounds I remember talking to Matt and he told me he never cleaned his barrell 15000 rounds or so I do believe I'm accurate about this could be wrong.

So I haven't clean my barrel for about 650 rounds and it you could watch the groups tighten up about every 50 60 rounds they just got Tighter and Tighter unbelievable. I am shooting to 34 Gr. JSB

One and three quarter hold over at 75 3 and 1/4 at 100 5 and a half at 120 and six and a half at 130

Explain this I was just on 130 yards I've had no spirals everything's been a good straight LOB shots in a row through the scope like they went out to about 115 yards and then went into that tight Corkscrew still hit the bullseye but none of this big wild working its way there thing just seem to be the last 10 to 15 yards weird

Keyman glad to see things starting to come together with your rifle. As far as the pellets that start spiraling or corkscrew the last 10 -15 yds I would say it could be a few things. If its always around the same distance it could be the pellet going thru some destabilization as the speed decreases and thats the distance it loses its balance so to speak. I think it could also be some sort of deformity or imperfection with that pellet that causes destabilization. Hard to say really without allot of testing in some controlled manner. I would say if its performing to your standards with the accuracy and speed you desire dont sweat it too much unless you want to go down the rabbit hole to find a cause.

After reading everyones input in this thread its sparked me to start re evaluating my wolverine. I have had it about a year and a half now and once I got my tune the way I wanted it when it was new I havnt really messed with trying different speeds after it was broken in and seasoned. When I first started shooting it I did see potential for great accuracy at higher speeds so maybe the barrel just needed to get seasoned a little to really perform. So down the rabbit hole of tuning I will go again and maybe I will come back out with a new perspective on my wolverine and what speeds work best now that its well broken in and seasoned. I will post info as I have time for this new adventure.

Holds definitely make a difference the higher in power you go. My RAW and WARP both in .30 needed a tight hold for the follow through. In .25 it's been hit and miss for me if they need a tighter hold or not.

Really!? Hmmm. Maybe I'll get a high powered rifle and free fire it with a string or something. IF it hits where the scope is zeroed on my shoulder then holds don't affect poi.

I agree with conventional wisdom that the best place to start searching for top accuracy from powerful air rifles shooting diabolo pellets is 850-900 FPS, and medium to heavy-for-caliber pellets. So my 2 anomalies (above) surprised me, and I stopped searching further.

Especially since I'd tuned and tuned and TUNED the .22 Sumatra striving for great accuracy at great power with heavy pellets (starting with 33.95s). With each disappointment (at 850-900 FPS) I'd retune for the next lighter pellet. 33.95s at 850-900, disappointment. Retune for 31 grain Kodiaks at 850-900, disappointment. Retune for 25.4 JSBs at 850-900, disappointment yet again! At that point with days invested in testing and tuning, I decided the project was a failure, but tried 18.1s without retuning. VOILA!

As excerpted from Airgun Chronicles- Thirty Years Of Airgun Testing And Competition -

18.1 grain JSB, 2400 PSI, weaker spring, 21 shot powerband- Lo= 972, Hi= 999, ES= 27, SD= 8, Avg= 988 FPS / 39.3 foot-pounds

6/4/2017- As tuned above with 18.1’s, it won the 60-100 yard Bench-Rest Silhouette match with a 33/40 (BRS club record).  

6/8/2017- Eleven consecutive 6 shot groups at 50 yards with 18.1’s averaged .62” c-t-c (in gusty winds).

7/12/2017- Five consecutive 6 shot groups at 50 yards with 18.1 JSBs averaged .51” c-t-c.

2/1/8/2018- Six consecutive 6 shot groups at 50 yards with 18.1 JSBs averaged .54” c-t-c.

Truth be told, I was so worn-out from all that tuning and testing I was happy to "settle" for such performance. More truth be told, when my .25 CF-tuned Cricket shot as well exactly as I received it (33.95s at 915 FPS), I also decided to leave well enough alone. But retesting the Cricket at 850-900 FPS (with 33.95s) IS on my bucket list! BTW, the .25 Cricket now co-holds the BRS club record.

AirNGasman you cant argue with results. I just got done cleaning my Wolverine and lubing some pellets to start the re tuning process to see if I can get some of the same results at velocities above 880 fps.

Keyman62421 I apologize for derailing your thread slightly as we got on topic of tuning and the expected results. I am a rambler at times and I can get caught up in these details and tend to dive as deep as I can looking for answers and other peoples experiences.

Three out of 48 could easily been damaged pellets or just something went wrong and caused the pellets to de stabilize. 

I did get my wolverine up to 900 fps today with JSB Kings and got one group that was .4 @ 45 yds and another that was roughly the same size. I couldnt measure the first group cause it ended up being to close to a group I shot earlier for a base line. It did look like it was at least as good tho and maybe better than the measurable .4 group. So there is promise for consistent groups with my wolverine at higher velocity. When I tuned it new I didnt lube pellets so I am wondering if my wolverine just didnt like faster speeds with un lubed pellets. Time will tell as I test more.