My Perspective on Three Semi-Autos -Updated

Comments on my Semi-Auto Air rifles - Updated​

So what’s changed in the approx 18 months since I started my Semi-Auto journey, and do I now have a different perspective on the guns than I had when I wrote my original post on the topic in September 2021. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/...huben-k1-leshiy-2-and-steyr-pro-x/?referrer=1

Well, some things have changed…

My Edgun Leshiy 2 is now a completely different gun. Its changed from a 350mm barreled .25 caliber gun, with a 300mm bottle, first to a .25 600mm barrel, then to a 350mm .30 caliber rifle, and finally to its current incarnation, a 600mm .30 cal, with a 480cc bottle and a REPR regulator. The longer barrels are all FX Impact barrels using a Sub-12 Airguns adapter. After I put the REPR system in place I changed out the 300cc bottle for a 480cc FX bottle (without a valve) for a larger shot count. The gun is now a powerful thing, generating 95 FPE with a 50.2 grain pellet.
As for looks…well its totally different, but I think it looks great 😂
1668887557203.jpeg

1668887557304.jpeg

1668887557542.jpeg

1668887557828.jpeg

I still love it, but it’s no longer a short, light, but not extremely powerful woods walker. The FX barreled versions are definitely (in my hands) more consistent and more accurate than the original versions. Whether or not this is due to the nature of the FX liner system, or simply to the fact that I am comparing a 600mm system to the original 350mm barrels I cannot say, since I have never owned a 600 mm Edgun barrel. There is no question that the 600mm barrels deliver more power, as that is the nature of PCP airguns and any 600mm barrel will do that.

I would still prefer a larger magazine capacity, and I still do not love the need to break open the gun in order to change mags (or, in my case, to use my speedloaders). It still is a great handling gun!

The other major change has been the addition of a Steyr Hunting 5A Scout to the stable.
1668887557983.jpeg

I picked this gun up in the Classifieds last July. I have to say, much as I love my Steyr Pro-X bullpup, this little gem is simply the sweetest handling/pointing rifle I own. I paired it with an Athlon Helos BTR 2-12 scope and it really is just the perfect combination. Virtually everything I wrote about the Steyr Pro-X also applies here, except that I would say that the trigger may be a little better ( and by the way, the trigger on the Pro-X has improved over time with use). The magazine system is different. The Hunting 5 uses a “stick” magazine that holds 5 rounds, as opposed to the circular 10 rounder for the Pro-X.
1668887872087.png

1668887872105.png

In my opinion, while the Hunting 5 magazines have worked flawlessly, the Pro-X system is superior.
The accuracy of the rifles is identical. I can see no difference. I must say, as a guy who has, and loves, a bunch of FX rifles, that I I have become a bit of a Steyr fan boy. They are very expensive, they are not flexible, and they certainly are not powerhouses. But they are so very well built, so precise in their controls, so accurate, and just so damned nice to shoot that I put them right up there with all the other favorite rifles that I have.

So much so that I also have a Steyr pistol that I use to practice for my Bullseye matches in my basement (since my wife would object to my blasting away with my Pardini down there 😂)
1668887558093.jpeg

The final change has been to my Steyr Pro-X, and its really a minor one. I found that the Pic Rail that the gun came with was simpl,y too high for my comfort. While it worked fine, and i shot the gun well, I prefer a lower position for my scopes, or, to put it another way, a tighter cheek weld. So I took the Pic rail off and used a Dovetail to Pic rail adapter to mount the scope. The difference is shown below:
New/Now
1668887558192.jpeg

Original
1668887871593.png

My Huben K1 has not changed. Frankly, is remains close to perfect. No leaks, no problems, massive power when I want it, easy plinking when that’s what I prefer. What’s there to change?

Now the question is what next. I am interested in the Western Airguns Rattler and Sidewinder, but I really want to see a little more on these before I drop big bucks on them, plus I need to rebuild my airgun bank account first 😇. For now, I’m pretty happy with what I have and it’s easy to scratch my semi-auto itch whenever I need.

Chris

Sent from my iPad

1668887558290.jpeg

Have you noticed a difference in FPS ,between the first and fifth pellet in Steyr Hunter 5A ?
Nope. Across 10 pellets (2 mags) I got a high of 921 FPS and a low of 912 FPS. Average was 918 FPS for 29.7 FPE. That's an Extreme Spread of 1.0% or 9 FPS and a Standard Deviation of 3.0 Pretty good for any Semi-Auto, and there was absolutely no "pattern" to the string.

Thanks a lot, You just made me buy a Huben, I had my 50 dollar deposit down on a sidewinder 22 caliber, But I have been reading up on the Hubens and looking at the specks , weight, barrel, length , The Huben comes up the clear winner with the sidewinder a big unknown, I like small light guns anyway .
Mike

Thanks a lot, You just made me buy a Huben, I had my 50 dollar deposit down on a sidewinder 22 caliber, But I have been reading up on the Hubens and looking at the specks , weight, barrel, length , The Huben comes up the clear winner with the sidewinder a big unknown, I like small light guns anyway .
Mike
You wont be disappointed! Just remember not to store it loaded.

Mike
Well airgunmike56, I also recently bought a Huben from Kelly and KRAZcool airguns. Even though I haven't had a lot of shots through it yet, I'm loving it. Will post pics soon. I bought mine for short/long range coyote hunting. Anyway feel free to keep in touch as I'm curious what your purpose is, what you shoot in it and how it does. thx.

Mohunter,
I am pretty much going to be a pellet shooter in my Huben, But that can change,
I was just told about a new gate that kelly has that helps with loading load two pellets at a time and a lot easier, Just ordered me a new scope Vector veyron 6x16x44 FFP at 20 ozs to try on my Mutant and switch to my Huben if I like it , we will see,
Have you done anything to your gun , I am guessing its a 25? I got a lot of other PCPs but this one is going to be my hunter , If I can find a place to hunt?
Mike