My perspective on 3 Semi-Auto Airguns - Huben K1, Leshiy 2 and Steyr Pro X

@ChRiSiS While you’re logged in I’ve been curious about something. I like the Huben concept but I was wondering if you or anyone else knows if they have plans or intentions on relaeasing a version with a removable magazine. I’ve been waiting to see if that is going to happen. From what I’ve seen and read the L2 design soured on me for reasons discussed in this thread.

@ChRiSiS While you’re logged in I’ve been curious about something. I like the Huben concept but I was wondering if you or anyone else knows if they have plans or intentions on relaeasing a version with a removable magazine. I’ve been waiting to see if that is going to happen. From what I’ve seen and read the L2 design soured on me for reasons discussed in this thread.
Enzana4CE, I’ve been wondering the same thing for years now. I keep hearing that they don’t think they can do it because of the tolerances involved. I don’t know why Steyr and Edgun can do it but they can’t. It looks like the Rattler/Sidewinder has the same basic design of the LCS-19 (which was the subject of a patent lawsuit from Huben because it was so similar). If the Sidewinder can do it with a removable mag then they will get my money.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Had an SK19 and sold it. Had 2 Hubens (.22 and .25) the trigger and ergonomics of them was far superior to the SK sold them as well. The L2 never appealed to me. From the start, it was obvious that by the time you quiet it, it is no longer compact. Coupled with poor dealer support in the US and questionable parts availability, it never made my list. The Steyr looked interesting, but with limited US sales/support I never seriously considered it. The Rattler looks interesting only because it is a .357. I passed on it because my Veradium Air tuned .357 Bulldog does all I ever needed it to-no follow up shot required. Of the semi's I've owned and studied, the Huben was the best, and though not perfect, some of those imperfections are attributable to ALL semi-autos, not just the Huben. There is great US dealer support in Kelly at KrazCool airguns, and I never had a problem getting repairs. You can put a Huma reg in, but then you lose the ability to adjust the reg externally, which may be a minor point, as a reliable source told me, although the reg can be adjusted, it is not recommended to be done on a regular basis. The trigger on the Huben is beautiful, which makes it easy to shoot accurately. It is amazingly quiet for the power it produces as are the ergonomics, especially in a hunting (vs benchrest) format. The full auto of some other semi's is gimmicky, but serves little real world purpose.

The biggest shortfall of the Huben is the number of different barrels they used. Some would shoot slugs well, some would shoot pellets well, and there is often no way to know which you will get until you buy it, and then if you need want the other, it will cost $$ to re-configure. Like all semi's, the Huben can require some work to shoot. If you buy one from KrazCool, get the front air pressure gauge (sounds ridiculous that an airgun would come without one), have Kelly loosen the shroud end (it can be tough to remove) and install the moderator adapter in case you want to add one later. In addition, have Kelly disassemble the gun and replace all the junk Chinese o-rings with quality ones, do all upgrades to make the gun equal to the newest model if it is not the newest model. Kelly will also need to polish the inside each of the mag pellet chambers to prevent future issues.

Common to a number of semi-autos, you will need to seat each pellet to make sure they don't "back out" and lock the mag which will usually release all the air, and cause you to brown your shorts, especially the first time it happens. Semi-autos can be a challenge to clean. Since the gun fires the pellet from the rifles magazine, and the magazine is not remove-able, you cannot easily clean the gun without some dis-assembly. Lastly, the issue of safety. I would never let a child that is not closely supervised or inexperienced shooter, near any semi auto. The gun is essentially "always loaded" and ready to fire if the magazine is full. If you forget to set the safety and brush that beautiful trigger, off it goes.

The Hubens do not hold their value well. With the work done above, I had like $2,300 in each (with the Huma regs). I was lucky to sell the less than a years later for around $1,350 shipped, less than a year later, and they had very little use, probably less than 500 shots through each. I would much rather pay $2,200 for an FX M3 and try to sell it for $1,800, than pay $2,200 for a Huben K1 and sell it for $1,350.

Last edited:
@cmatera I appreciate your input. I made a note of your initial post about the Chinese o-ring replacement. From what you’ve stated in your last post the thing I find most concerning is the barrel lottery. That’s a tough one. If I got a Huben I’d want it to shoot slugs as well as it does pellets. I’ve read so much about their versatility in hunting, but somehow I missed issues with different types of barrels being used. It seems Kelly is doing consumers a service in making the gun “out of the box” ready for lack of a better term. I also think I recall reading about how difficult removing the shroud can be. Thanks for the heads up.

@cmatera I appreciate your input. I made a note of your initial post about the Chinese o-ring replacement. From what you’ve stated in your last post the thing I find most concerning is the barrel lottery. That’s a tough one. If I got a Huben I’d want it to shoot slugs as well as it does pellets. I’ve read so much about their versatility in hunting, but somehow I missed issues with different types of barrels being used. It seems Kelly is doing consumers a service in making the gun “out of the box” ready for lack of a better term. I also think I recall reading about how difficult removing the shroud can be. Thanks for the heads up.
I think cmatera makes some good points. However, as far as I know, the Huben barrel lottery depends more on which year you purchased your Huben, rather than being an absolute lottery every time you get one. The earlier Hubens apparently did not shoot pellets well. Then they made some pellet barrels (in 2020 and early 2021 if I recall correctly). The latest barrels apparently do both reasonably. I have a .25 wood stocked version purchased in August 2021 and so far I have been quite happy with it but I am mainly a pellet shooter. The “Huben” slugs that I purchased from New England Airguns worked fine, as did some JSB Knockouts. Those are all that I have tried.

Reading all this has me all fired up got me a Huben 22 ordered , Should get it sometime in Jan, Talk value of air guns , I got Cricket 22 tuned by the master Earnest I paid 1,685.00 Might bring 900 on todays market, To me not worth boxing up and shipping I will just keep it, same with the Mutant, Veteran,Vulcan, Value seems to drop fast, Just put them in the safe and keep them.
OOPS back to Huben, I am pretty well just a pellet shooter so I guess I will just have to find a pellet my Huben likes
Mike

Reactions: ChRiSiS
oops I guess I should have ask here about were the air gauge is to check the air pressure on a Huben is?
Mike
I believe it’s on the business end below the crown at the end of the reservoir. I read Osita about a manometer there. I also see a gauge on the left side close to the mag between the bit and the mag. Which one is for the regulator? I do not know.

I believe it’s on the business end below the crown at the end of the reservoir. I read Osita about a manometer there. I also see a gauge on the left side close to the mag between the bit and the mag. Which one is for the regulator? I do not know.
The one at the end of the airtube, right below the barrel is for the air pressure inthe tube. The one on the side is the regulated pressure. Note that older Hubens did not automatically come with a manometer. It was an option. Today and for the last couple years I think they all come with the gauge on the end of the air tube/reservoir.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
A few months ago I got a hankering for a Semi-auto air rifle to go with my stable of FXs. I posted in this sub-forum asking for opinions on the three listed above. There were a number of responses, and I eventually purchased, through a series of events I discussed in that thread, a Edgun Leshiy 2 in .25 Very shortly after I came on an opportunity to pick up a Steyr Pro X, so I did. Then last month, after selling my two FX Wildcat MK3s in the classifieds, I was in Boston to visit my son and stopped on the way home at New England Airguns. Somehow, I walked away from that encounter with a Huben K1 in .22 😳

I figured I would do a follow up post on my experience and perspective on the three guns in the hopes that it may help someone else who is pondering the same questions around which to buy and how they differ. To be clear, these are my Views, not Reviews

Huben K1

Huben K1 2021 build, walnut stock, .22 caliber

View attachment 174373

The Huben K1 has really great ergonomics. The gun is easy to hold and easy to shoot offhand. As a bull pup it’s not quite as easy from the bench, but still gets high marks. Very clean exterior. Light, handy, powerful, lots of shots, what’s not to love?

I LOVE the power. The rifle is extremely flexible and adjustable. Without touching the regulator (150 bar) I have dialed in from 30 Ft Lbs energy all the way up to 65 Ft Lbs. Seems to shoot everything well, from JSB 18.1s up JSB Beasts at 34 grains. The Huben slugs (35 gr) do very well, as do the JSB KnockOut slugs (25.39gr).

It has decent efficiency. I get 2-3 magazines (38-57 shots) depending on the power level before I have to refill. I never have to worry about how high I fill it since it is good to 5000 PSI, which is more than my 9L CF tank will bear (4500 PSI). So, I just plug the probe in and fill from the tank until it won’t push any more air in and then go shoot.

It has a really surprising trigger, probably the best of my three semi-autos. It’s easy to shoot it well. It’s also easy to shoot fast. The gun will cycle as fast as I can pull the trigger. I have had no problems with jams, no matter the pellet or slug I am using.

The Huben is not a tack driver like my FX Impacts or Crowns, but it is more than good enough at 25 and 50 yards. I haven’t taken it further yet. I have had no issues with fliers and the speeds that I get are quite consistent, even across a full magazine of 19 shots.

I wish the power adjustment had some indication as to what power was dialed in. The only real way to know is to reduce the power to zero, then count as one turns to dial to power up. If one is raising the power, the dial just keeps going without any stop.

The magazine is not difficult to load, but it is tedious. Reloading is not quick. Thankfully it holds 19 rounds, but I would really have noting to complain about if this gun had a removable magazine. I don’t know why Huben (or LCS for that matter) couldn’t manage a magazine system that would work with a semi-auto. The Steyr Pro X works very well with the 10 round removable magazine and the EdGun Leshiy 2 does as well (8 round), so a removable magazine is possible.

All in all, a great airgun. It is everything a Semi-Auto should be, and with a removable magazine it would be pretty close to perfect. I love it so much that I am being tempted to buy another one in .25

Leshiy 2

Edgun Leshiy 2 350mm barrel, .25 caliber

View attachment 174379

The Edgun Leshiy 2 is a wonderful little gun. It is quite compact (at least in the 250 and 350mm barrel form) with a folding stock that allows it to be carried in a small bag or pack. It simply FEELS solid. It has great ergonomics, at least for me (long arms, big hands, 5’ 10” 170 lbs). With the right scope, such as something light, or a LPVO or Red Dot, it is light and easy to handle. It feels tight and powerful, although in stock tune it is not exactly a powerhouse. Don’t get me wrong, it is quite possible to tune it to shoot at higher power levels, but in the factory tune out of the box the .25 caliber 350mm barrel is delivering power in the mid to upper 40s FPE range.

It is also a really good looking gun. Everyone who sees it goes “wow, that’s a cool looking gun”. The red accents from the magazine, and the grip just add a certain something (as the French say, a certain “Je ne sais quoi”).

The trigger takes a little use before one gets accustomed to it. This is not a match trigger in any sense fo the word. It is nowhere as light as the trigger on a FX Crown, or Impact, or actually any of my FX guns. It’s also not as light nor as crisp as either my Huben K1 or my Steyr Pro X. As a result, it really is not a bench/target gun, at least as compared to the bolt/manual action guns mentioned above. However, offhand, it simply rips. Despite the trigger not being the equal of the other guns, once one gets the hang of it, practical accuracy is simply outstanding. It is easy to rip off 8 fairly quick shots at 2” swingers 25 yards away and go 5 for 5, again and again. The key, at least for me, is to grip the gun firmly, and squeeze the trigger with a deliberate, strong, continuous squeeze.

The gun is reasonably efficient. I get about 5 magazines from at 275 bar fill on the 300cc bottle. Because of the design it is easy to find attachment pits for slings and the like, but I prefer not to have too many things hanging off my L2 since I feel that it takes away from the elemental nature of the gun, a light, easy handling offhand shooter with rapid follow up shots on tap.

My one gripe, I wish that I didn’t have to open the action every time I wanted to reload, and I wish that the magazines held more than 8 rounds. That may not be an issue for hunters, but as someone who primarily shoots Paper or reactive targets (swingers, steel plates, etc.) a higher mag capacity would be a distinct plus. I now often don’t remove the magazine and swap in a loaded one, but rather use one of my many Speedloaders to reload the magazine as it sits in the action. It is still a pain to have to open the action, remove the magnet, use the Speedloader, replace the magnet and close the action every 8 shots, but its better than the opening part plus having to fiddle to get the magazine off, place the new one (without buggering up the little roller thingy at the bottom) and the close again.

In summary, a definite keeper. Not a gun to adjust daily, but quite flexible, with multiple barrel options, power levels (combination of barrel lengths, jets and reg pressure) and looks.

Steyr Pro X Standard .22

View attachment 174386

The Steyr Pro X really is the odd one out in this stable of semi-auto airguns. It only comes in .22 and is not particularly powerful, maxing out at about 30 FPE. It is actually pretty heavy, but is pretty well balanced, with most of the weight in the rear, so it handles nicely. It is what it is. In other words, it is not adjustable for power (it is, but within a very small range, after which cycling is affected) and you can’t change caliber, or barrel length, or pretty much anything about the gun.

It has a good, but not great trigger. Crisp, clean, but a tad heavier than I would like. It is eye wateringly expensive, the most of the three guns described here, and the magazines are also very expensive. Each 10 round magazine costs $100 or so.

It is un-shrouded, and quite loud in its native state. This is a combination of the muzzle report, which is loud. Not Leshiy 2 loud, but loud nonetheless. In addition the hammer/action is also sounds loud to the ear and the combination of the two is not something I enjoy, especially indoors in my basement. I was able to buy a 1/2 UNF adapter from Krale, and to attach a 0dB silencer to the gun. This made quite a difference and, interestingly, once the muzzle blast was tamed the hammer/action noise also seems less intrusive.

So, why do I still have it? That was a question I asked myself for the first week or two of ownership. And yet…. Every time I shot the darned thing I would stand on my deck and shoot the 1-2” spinners I have set up at 25 yards until I ran out of air. Hit after hoot after hit after hit. No drama. No fuss. No adjusting my hold. Just ping, ping, ping, ping, ping. 5 for 5 every time. I would go to my USPSA Steel silhouette at 50 yards. Ten headshots in a row. No fuss, no drama. Then I finally sat down to shoot targets from a rest. 25 yards one hole groups. A small hole for 5 shots, only slightly larger for 10. Then I would smile 😊

This gun just does what it is designed to do, every day, all day.

It has the absolute best magazine system of the bunch. The 10 round mags are inserted at the top of the action in the back. They then have to be rotated by hand for 10 clicks. It’s easy to do, you don’t even have to count. Just push on the knurled surface until it stops going round and you are good to go. Cycling is flawless. Shoot 10, remove, reload, push and shoot again. I generally shoot 5 mags (50 rounds) before refilling the cylinder. If either of the other two guns had this magazine system they would, in their own ways, be perfect, and if the Steyr had a 19 round capacity like the Huben, it would be perfect. But right now its pretty damned close.

It’s not a hunter, its not a powerhouse, but it is simply a delight to shoot. So it stays.

Chris
Love your review if you ever want to sell the Steyr let me know. I have the HuBen in 25 it’s a beast love the gun, I also bought it at New England Airguns. You said the Steyr is not a hunter how about for chipmunks and squirrels? How do you like the stock? Who did you buy it through?
thanks Jim

Reactions: Firstgear
Love your review if you ever want to sell the Steyr let me know. I have the HuBen in 25 it’s a beast love the gun, I also bought it at New England Airguns. You said the Steyr is not a hunter how about for chipmunks and squirrels? How do you like the stock? Who did you buy it through?
thanks Jim
Hi Jim. Definitely not selling!! While there is no question you CAN hunt with the Steyr, especially small critters, for me it’s a bit expensive to buy specifically for hunting. To me, the Huben would be the one to buy specifically for killing things!
I bought my Steyr used here on AGN’s classifieds.

Chris

I also just got bitten by the Huben K1 bug and now have two; 1 in .22 and 1 in .25.

On the .25 with the secondary reg set at 18MPa, I can span 6 fl-lb with the power wheel at minimum, to 77.7 ft-lb at what I have found to be the maximum (50 clicks, more clicks are not useful). The .22 can easily drive a JSB heavy to supersonic by 28 clicks so I look forward to playing at longer ranges with heavier projectiles.

Ergonomics are great and I echo that they are not ideal for benchrest, but they can hold their own!

The trigger is good, not great, but is not notable in use so I don't intend to tune it.

I have the synthetic stock version or each, have added sling swivel studs, put optics on each, and just shoot them! I'm hopeful that Huben will create a .30cal version someday!

p.s. My first Huben was purchased from Northeast AirGuns in Hudson, MA, and while I was returning from a business visit "just to see what they have" and, well, I'm off to the races with PCPs!

Last edited:
Thanks guys now I know the Huben comes with a air gauge, and regulator gauge.
Now I am going to make the Huben 22 caliber into my hunter, Who needs a smi auto to punch paper, I got eight other PCP for that, I really like my big athlon scopes Helos shooting flys at 48 yards. Maybe get the new 3x12x32 bug buster scope compact light and easy to focus or would that be a unjust hunting scope for the Huben?
Oh well I got till Jan of 23 before the gun is shipped .
Mike

I agree with your opinions. I looked at all 3 of these guns extensively, but I ended up with Huben 2020's in both .22 and .25. The Leshiy is marketed as a Lego gun. Too much messing around to get it quiet, fooling with valves, maybe too customize-able. With some of the customization I've seen, it's easy to approach Delta Wolf territory ($3000+). Not much shorter than the Huben when unfolded. The Steyr is a high quality semi, but only available in .22. The availability of parts and service on the Leshiy and the Steyr in the US is questionable. In Kelly Schmidt at Krazcool Airguns, I have an excellent source of parts and service. The power of the Hubens is breathtaking, for it's size, it's available in .22 and .25, the trigger is sweet. It can be shot without a moderator at moderate power levels, and the power is simple to adjust with no disassembly of the gun. I did put Huma regs in both of mine, both have front pressure gauges, and I had Kelly change all the Chinese o rings for better quality ones. Really easy to just pick a projectile, choose your power level sight it in and go shoot. Much shooting, little tinkering. With the correct projectile and power setting, whatever you point it at out to 75 yards is dead, if you do your part.
Pilkguns sells and services Steyr’s

Thanks guys now I know the Huben comes with a air gauge, and regulator gauge.
Now I am going to make the Huben 22 caliber into my hunter, Who needs a smi auto to punch paper, I got eight other PCP for that, I really like my big athlon scopes Helos shooting flys at 48 yards. Maybe get the new 3x12x32 bug buster scope compact light and easy to focus or would that be a unjust hunting scope for the Huben?
Oh well I got till Jan of 23 before the gun is shipped .
Mike
The BugBuster is what I have on my K1 in .22. I like it for the fact that it can be focused to less than 10 yards - perfect for up close shooting of small prey, and it remains consistent, tracks well, and has reasonable optical performance, all at a really reasonable price.

As an FYI and temptation: I upgraded to a Hawke Airmax 30 3-12x40 on my H1 in .25 - it's brighter, has thinner reticle lines, an illuminated reticle (useful as I typically shoot at dawn and dusk against a dark background), as well as a much larger sweet spot for clear viewing. The only drawback is that it cannot be focused to closer than 10 yards so I have to be really careful to have my sight picture centered in order to get consistent "dead on" hits.

Just make sure you get the right rings with your BugBuster if that's the direction you decide to go. The scope comes boxed with either weaver/pic rings or dovetail rings - clearly noted on the box.

With regard to "unjust" use of a scope on the venerable K1's - go with what works for you in your situation. My .22 is set up for inside 30 yard shooting of smaller pests. The BugBuster has been perfect for this, and saved me money toward my next gun. Don't get me wrong, I love great glass. It's just that for this purpose the light weight and excellent "zoom power 4" performance of the scope is perfect. (The bugbuster will never be a benchrest scope, no way, but that is not the intent). I leave it set for 4x and know that if I want to zoom in I can.

Again, addressing "unjust", my Hawke Airmax 30, on my K1 .25, is a serious step up from the BugBuster, but for 3x the price, I'd expect it to be!

p.s. I rarely use greater than 4x magnification when hunting - at this magnification its easy to acquire (moving) targets and the reticle is fine enough that it's easy to do precision (moment of rodent(tm)) aiming. I do zoom in for longer shots where more precision is needed and the Hawke remains bright and clear over it's entire range.

Ymmv, fwiw

Just reread this whole thread for the 3rd time since it was posted originally, the HUBEN will always have my curiosity , that is, till I get to use one.
Depending on where you are in CT, you might find the trip to NewEnglandAirGuns worth it. They are in Hudson, MA and worth the trip, especially if you call in advance and tell them what your're thinking. I went there looking to buy (my first PCP) an Avenger or equivalent and fell in love with the feel and solidness of the Huben K1 and am REALLY happy with my purchase. There are a lot of great guns and the K1 is certainly one of them! Agree that there is no substitute for hand's on.

Depending on where you are in CT, you might find the trip to NewEnglandAirGuns worth it. They are in Hudson, MA and worth the trip, especially if you call in advance and tell them what your're thinking. I went there looking to buy (my first PCP) an Avenger or equivalent and fell in love with the feel and solidness of the Huben K1 and am REALLY happy with my purchase. There are a lot of great guns and the K1 is certainly one of them! Agree that there is no substitute for hand's on.
I agree. NewEngland Airguns is well worth the trip. Of course, when I did it I ended up with a Huben!

I agree. NewEngland Airguns is well worth the trip. Of course, when I did it I ended up with a Huben!
I have been out there to see John, he actually sold me my hammer and my prod when i first started out! very knowledgeable and at the time did try to sell me a huben!

Reactions: ChRiSiS