My own scope cam system, the OrionCam

Being a heavy user of scope cam system I've come to the conclusion they all have flaws. My two favorites are the Eagle Vision for the great glass and the sideshot for the easy and solid mount system.

That being said, what is great in one system is terrible on the other... So I had a challenge to solve...

And here I'm showing you the OrionCam:

I'll be selling these soon on my site for $125, the system will have two mounts, one for firefly, the first one offered, and one for GoPro.

I'm using a highly reflective glass that I found from a company here in the USA and their glass comes from Germany. I wanted my system to have the best glass out there. I've invested in great scopes so it's a shame to later pass the image to the crappy glass on that sideshot. My goal is to have. Better glass than the Eagle Vision but provide an affordable solution without any compromise... and if there's any...fixing or improving at lightning speed.

I was using carbon fiber rods but found out that they can become out of stock and I don't want to depend on that. So I printed my own rods.....and I had a hard time trying to break it...the most I could do was bend it applying extreme force..check pic below. And this is something that if you want later you can upgrade with a CF rod later on your own 

IMG_20210130_141955.1612703903.jpg

IMG_20210202_145514.1612704090.jpg

IMG_20210206_130457_794.1612703919.jpg

IMG_20210206_141354.1612704606.jpg

IMG_20210202_135300.1612704936.jpg

Video test

https://youtu.be/IarP2joZnFc

That looks pretty cool Orion! Is the camera mount and reflective glass "see through" then, so the user looks through the scope traditionally to take the shot? I have a Hero 7 Black waterproof case. How will this mount up?

Yes its the same concept as sideshot and eagle vision.

For GoPro I'll develop a different mount. I'll start with the firefly because it's the cam I'm currently using but for GoPro I want to do some tests later

I'll need to design the entire case for that one... And for that I'll need that cam with me so I can test that. Not sure if that lens will work due to it being wide angle.... to be honest I don't think is feasible

Damn it. The case is the issue with trying to use it with a side shot styled mounting system. The camera is water proof so there’s really no need for the waterproof housing (case). I guess that’s why they’re hard to come by. There are these for people who intend to take them to deeper depths on a dive, but the case still uses the thumb screw and odd base. FitStill 60M Dive Housing Case for GoPro Hero 5 Session Waterproof Diving Protective Shell with Bracket Accessories for Go Pro Hero5 Session & Hero Session https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077RF92PH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VV9YRAGD3MVAX9HJGGBE

I'll need to design the entire case for that one... And for that I'll need that cam with me so I can test that. Not sure if that lens will work due to it being wide angle.... to be honest I don't think is feasible

Damn it. The case is the issue with trying to use it with a side shot styled mounting system. The camera is water proof so there’s really no need for the waterproof housing (case). I guess that’s why they’re hard to come by. There are these for people who intend to take them to deeper depths on a dive, but the case still uses the thumb screw and odd base. FitStill 60M Dive Housing Case for GoPro Hero 5 Session Waterproof Diving Protective Shell with Bracket Accessories for Go Pro Hero5 Session & Hero Session https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077RF92PH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VV9YRAGD3MVAX9HJGGBE

I don't think the case is the big deal but the lens... I'm not sure it will focus the reticle that close....

Nicely done Orion! I just purchased a Side Shot a week ago. Wish I would have waited!! 

If you bought it is because you have the sideshot, one won't exclude the other, if you get the OrionCam later you can always sell your sideshot with my adapter.

Looks great but I see there is no provision for eye cup. Not required with your system or do you just prefer not using them?

Yeah, I don't like the reflector on the side shot either unless they changed it recently to something better.

I'm thinking about that. I have 3 options in mind... No eye cup, buy one for it around $13 or print one myself with a flexible material I have 

I'm not sure what to do yet

Dude, Orion is on it. I texted him the other day because Alex and Cooper both goat GoPro 9 camera’s for Christmas and I can’t find a mount. He said the Firefly camera and his system work great and combined will be cheaper than a mount for my boy’s cameras. We’ll just use the GoPros for other things and have 3 cameras at our disposal. Orion is into it, I’ve got to think this system will be awesome. 

Stoti