My opinion

And its just MY opinion!

I used to shoot powder. Mostly tactical combat. A lot of hand gun shooting.

When i stumbled onto airguns, I entered Heaven!

Its expensive but the "science"of it is a wonder to attempt to master.

Now the move to slugs. I can go back to powder if I want to shoot "bullets". 

I realize the accuracy is there, and so it is with my 17 & 22 rim fire and probably less or at least comparably, cost wise.

I just don't see slugs the same as i see pellets. I may surrender over time. However, its only MY opinion and not a reflection on anyone else.

Reactions: Humdinger
Sumatra .22 & .25’s are excellent slug shooters. I have a like new older .25 with a no choke barrel that measures .253”. It puts slugs into 1/4” @ 40 yards.

New Sumatra rifles in .25 measure .251” so they are well suited for pellets & slugs sized to .251”

As far as the new FX barrels one can shoot slugs & one says not to. I’m not sure which is which.

I’m not too sure I like all the power. Are certain companies steering Airguns to new laws? I hope not.

Keyman...lead is lead is lead!

A pellet and a slug, of identical weight, will both perform clean kills at air gun distances. There's nothing magic about slugs, as least as far as I can find. If you strike an animal with identical weights of lead, at any distance, the impact in foot pounds of energy will be the same. Unlike high speed rifle slugs, with boat-tail designs, jacketed, soft point, or hollow point tips, striking at very high speeds...it just doesn't work like that with air guns!

I'm sure some readers are spitting their coffee all over their monitors right now...but I've never seen a difference in how dead a critter was when hit by the same weight projectile, be it a slug or an identical weight domed or hollow point pellet.

There are some interesting "tipped" and new hollow point pellets designs out today...worth trying, cheaper than slugs, but still just another tool in the ammo box!

Kindly 'Ol Uncle 

"...don't you believe a word that sumbench says...I know for a fact he shoots slugs too...and enjoys it!"

Keyman...lead is lead is lead!

A pellet and a slug, of identical weight, will both perform clean kills at air gun distances. There's nothing magic about slugs, as least as far as I can find. If you strike an animal with identical weights of lead, at any distance, the impact in foot pounds of energy will be the same. Unlike high speed rifle slugs, with boat-tail designs, jacketed, soft point, or hollow point tips, striking at very high speeds...it just doesn't work like that with air guns!

I'm sure some readers are spitting their coffee all over their monitors right now...but I've never seen a difference in how dead a critter was when hit by the same weight projectile, be it a slug or an identical weight domed or hollow point pellet.

There are some interesting "tipped" and new hollow point pellets designs out today...worth trying, cheaper than slugs, but still just another tool in the ammo box!

Kindly 'Ol Uncle 

"...don't you believe a word that sumbench says...I know for a fact he shoots slugs too...and enjoys it!"

Seems hitting the target may be a big part of the issue here.

Keyman years back Joe Rhea posted pictures of a lovely serpent skinned designed 25 Cricket that he proudly showed posting a single ragged hole 50 yard group using H&N grizzlies. My gun I had shooting the original heavies literally pellet on pellet. I fired off one mag and never loaded another H&N pellet as in my gun they were no way as accurate. I'm simple or maybe the Crickets are "JSB works for me"

0 Interest in slugs for small game, I can take pigeon size game out to 150 yards with pellets...its called 'get gud' with your hold overs and predicting POI...imagine needing slugs/bullets to shoot at birds...thats a yikes from me. 

If boys in the UK can take game out to 50+ yards with 12 fpe air guns, I think we can manage 100-150+ with 30-40~ FPE air guns...

It also takes more skill to shoot pellets (which most air guns are designed to shoot btw...) than it does to take slugs, I am a man who likes challenge, not the 'easy way'...its a hobby, challenge yourself, or just get a R/C car with AI driving ability and turn it on to watch...zzZzzZzzZzz boring.

😂

It's the huge increase in performance one enjoys when shooting slugs. And the new challenges that come with stretching the distances.

Sort of like when digital flight stabilization came to radio controlled model helicopters. There were those who stuck with mechanical stabilization (flybars) and those like me who took the lead.

I enjoyed increased stability and tracking in high winds, which allowed me to perform increasingly difficult 3D maneuvers with higher precision.

Next thing you know more and more pilots switched over. Not to say shooting is the same as flying, but for me I get to be more effective at increasingly longer ranges a higher percentage of the time.

Stick with pellets if you want. But if you want to push the envelope AND get results, that's when you'll see the benefits of shooting slugs.

I’m on the fence also?, have purchased some slugs for my Red Wolf, but haven’t had a chance to really test them at distance yet!, will be able to soon? Quite honestly I think I will end up sticking with pellets for the reasons you & others listed... I’m not much of a hunter ( any pesting I do is under 70yds ) the RW is really the only rifle I own suitable for slugs and I didn’t purchase it with the intention of shooting them anyway! Can’t shoot them in competition... YET!!! Hopefully never can?