My old HW 30

I found this little .20 cal, at a gun show back in the eighties. The best $50.00 I ever spent. The shoulder pad was already installed, it makes for a comfortable fit. The bluing is about 90 percent but the action is still tight as a tick.

1596419603_14630534145f276e13199550.14720357.jpg

VERY nice! Wow the .20 cal must be quite a rare one too.

As nice as the modern HW 30 and R7 are, to me the action is most at home in that old-time skinny finger-groove stock - that's what the 300 looked like for 25+ years until Dr. Beeman "invented" the R7. Looks great, carries easily, and balances perfectly (the bulkier new stocks are nice but make it a bit butt-heavy for my tastes).

The HW30 and early R7 (and HW25 and maybe early HW35?) use a less sophisticated blade front sight that fits on a dovetail that cuts across the barrel, as on mister12ax7's HW30. The later and current HW guns use the modern type you mention. The "hood" on the early type is often lost, and I don't think it's available anywhere?

The HW30 and early R7 (and HW25 and maybe early HW35?) use a less sophisticated blade front sight that fits on a dovetail that cuts across the barrel, as on mister12ax7's HW30. The later and current HW guns use the modern type you mention. The "hood" on the early type is often lost, and I don't think it's available anywhere?

Ah, thanks. I looked the part up and understand now.

As to the hood for the front sight-I recently cut down the shroud on an AA S410 and was left with about a 3" scrap of blued steel tubing. It got me thinking about a hood for a front sight, I wonder if a guy shopped the scrap pile at a welding or machine shop a piece of steel tubing of a suitable size might be found. A slot could be cut for the sight base and then it could be blued to match.