HW/Weihrauch My old 55 still has it

I haven't been shooting at all lately(too busy). I finished up my day with some time and a bit of light left so I grabbed my old HW55 MM, a set of sticks and a stool. I was shooting old JSB 8.4s that were in a pouch. Aim point was the big orange dot. I started at 10 yards. The pellets just kept going into the same hole despite my seemingly shaky hold.
After 10 shots or so I moved back to 15 yards. With the same dot as my aim point the pellets were hitting the same spot as at 10 yards so I picked a lower aim point and put 10 shots into another small group! Well of course I had to try 5 shots at 20 yards-the light breeze moved the impact over a bit but I'm happy with the result!
The target squares are 1"
20240403_184622.jpg
20240403_184522.jpg

I've had this one over 40 years and taught my son and daughter to shoot with it.
Thanks to Motorhead for the rebuild.
John

@JohnL57 , There is a classic air rifle for sure. I remember reading about these in the newsletters from Air Rifle Headquarters back in the '70s, written by Robert Law. I could never afford one of those back then and would get all dreamy eyed wishing I could have one and envious of the pictures of the groups that people would send in to be published and stories of great shots they made with them. I finally saved up enough grass cutting money to buy my first one - a HW50, not quite as nice, but satisfying for a youngster.

I use the same Crosman pellet pouches with neck lanyards just like what you have. I read here recently that these pouches were discontinued - too bad. The good ones had velcro on both the closure flap and the belt loop and could be placed over skeleton stocks or belts or strung like yours.

Feinwerk

Reactions: dgeesaman
@JohnL57 , There is a classic air rifle for sure. I remember reading about these in the newsletters from Air Rifle Headquarters back in the '70s, written by Robert Law. I could never afford one of those back then and would get all dreamy eyed wishing I could have one and envious of the pictures of the groups that people would send in to be published and stories of great shots they made with them. I finally saved up enough grass cutting money to buy my first one - a HW50, not quite as nice, but satisfying for a youngster.

I use the same Crosman pellet pouches with neck lanyards just like what you have. I read here recently that these pouches were discontinued - too bad. The good ones had velcro on both the closure flap and the belt loop and could be placed over skeleton stocks or belts or strung like yours.

Feinwerk
These were the good ones. The Crosman isn't as good. I have both. The U M's just work better. Got quite a few stashed away. Probably got my first around 1985 at the local Beeman dealer in New Cumberland, PA where my wife bought my first HW55 for me at Christmas. She's still awesome and the "55" is too. Why did U M discontinue them? IDK
This one's NOS from eBay
IMG_1403.jpg

Reactions: Tex-Mex
Always thought they were interesting but I was all about "magnum" power back in the day. Finally bought a 55 some ten years ago and was impressed. Scoped it to find the pellet is liked best and was even more impressed, so much so that I left that 55 scoped and bought another to shoot with the OEM sights, which was the original intent. Easily shoots sub 1/4" groups at 23 yds.

IMG_1804.JPG

Attachments

• 23 yds.jpg
    23 yds.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Always thought they were interesting but I was all about "magnum" power back in the day. Finally bought a 55 some ten years ago and was impressed. Scoped it to find the pellet is liked best and was even more impressed, so much so that I left that 55 scoped and bought another to shoot with the OEM sights, which was the original intent. Easily shoots sub 1/4" groups at 23 yds.

View attachment 452290
Very nice looking 55M! Luv that chequering style and that rail underneath doesn't hurt.

Reactions: r1lover
I haven't been shooting at all lately(too busy). I finished up my day with some time and a bit of light left so I grabbed my old HW55 MM, a set of sticks and a stool. I was shooting old JSB 8.4s that were in a pouch. Aim point was the big orange dot. I started at 10 yards. The pellets just kept going into the same hole despite my seemingly shaky hold.
After 10 shots or so I moved back to 15 yards. With the same dot as my aim point the pellets were hitting the same spot as at 10 yards so I picked a lower aim point and put 10 shots into another small group! Well of course I had to try 5 shots at 20 yards-the light breeze moved the impact over a bit but I'm happy with the result!
The target squares are 1"
View attachment 452203View attachment 452204
I've had this one over 40 years and taught my son and daughter to shoot with it.
Thanks to Motorhead for the rebuild.
John
Beautiful old HW, Im glad it's in good hands. I use a similar pellet bag. One of them is an old army compass pouch.

20240401_175011.jpg

20240401_165701.jpg

Reactions: bf1956