My new Texan .257 LSS setup for 200 yards

This is my new Texan .257 LSS setup for 200 yards

I have a new favorite slug for my .257 LSS
AVS .2573 Diameter Hollow Boat Tail 25 Caliber Slugs - Hollow Point 85 grains.
Shooting tethered 3100 PSI 1020 FPS.
I still like the Griffin 72 grain slugs. But I think I can reach out better to 400 - 500 yards with the new AVS 85 grain slugs.

The only problem with shooting at 3100 psi, is that I can only get about 50 shots each with my 98 cubic foot Air Venture air tank. This also means that I need to bring 3 full tanks to each shooting session.

Magnetospeed V3 barrel mounted ballistic chronograph. I like this model because it has 11 sensitivity settings. I also tried the Magetospeed Sporter model which works great but only has 2 levels of sensitivity.

I now have an improved dovetail to picatinny adapter to mount my Cold Shot. The previous adapter was weak and cheap.
I replaced the stock hammer spring with a "medium strength" spring.

After shooting my 1st day with the new slugs, I'm still shooting 2 inch MOA at 200 yards and still splitting playing cards at 200 yards.
20230804_102506.jpg
20230804_102511.jpg
P1060319.jpg
P1060325.jpg
P1060329.jpg

Very well thought out setup. Look like a Coldshot setup. your thoughts on the unit please. Tia.
I absolutely love the Cold Shot! I only wish I ordered the 300 MOA version. I have high hopes of shooting 1000+ yards when the Altaros 24 becomes available in the USA in about 6 months.

I like the idea of zero the scope once with the scope turrets, then never touch them again. All my shots are with using the center reticle and without any hold over. I use Strelok Pro for the dope and then simply dial in the Cold Shot.

With the 150 MOA Cold Shot and my current slugs and dope, I can shoot up to 750 yards without any hold over.
A 1000 yard shot is 254 MOA and the 300 MOA Cold Shot is still within limits and without holdover.

I hope this is helpful.

Rod in San Francisco

There’s a guy on YouTube channel My Airgun Range likes to pop balloons at distances out to 500 yards. Pretty successful but you never know what kind of accuracy he’s seeing at those yardages. One of his is a .257 Texan LSS shooting the AVS 85 grain BTs.
Yes, I have seen his vids. I like them. Especially the Texan vids. He also shot 800 yards with his .257. I asked him how he chrony his shots as he does not mention his chrony in his vids, but neve got back to me. I use a Magnetospeed chrony which reads 1020 fps at 3100 psi. Same slug

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Yes, I have seen his vids. I like them. Especially the Texan vids. He also shot 800 yards with his .257. I asked him how he chrony his shots as he does not mention his chrony in his vids, but neve got back to me. I use a Magnetospeed chrony which reads 1020 fps at 3100 psi. Same slug
I think he uses one of those mini FX radar cronos. I use a LabRadar and also a Caldwell G2 in my shop. Both usually agree.

This is my new Texan .257 LSS setup for 200 yards

I have a new favorite slug for my .257 LSS
AVS .2573 Diameter Hollow Boat Tail 25 Caliber Slugs - Hollow Point 85 grains.
Shooting tethered 3100 PSI 1020 FPS.
I still like the Griffin 72 grain slugs. But I think I can reach out better to 400 - 500 yards with the new AVS 85 grain slugs.

The only problem with shooting at 3100 psi, is that I can only get about 50 shots each with my 98 cubic foot Air Venture air tank. This also means that I need to bring 3 full tanks to each shooting session.

Magnetospeed V3 barrel mounted ballistic chronograph. I like this model because it has 11 sensitivity settings. I also tried the Magetospeed Sporter model which works great but only has 2 levels of sensitivity.

I now have an improved dovetail to picatinny adapter to mount my Cold Shot. The previous adapter was weak and cheap.
I replaced the stock hammer spring with a "medium strength" spring.

After shooting my 1st day with the new slugs, I'm still shooting 2 inch MOA at 200 yards and still splitting playing cards at 200 yards.View attachment 378066View attachment 378067View attachment 378068View attachment 378069View attachment 378070
nice setup.. just a couple thoughts.. I have a Omega trail charger.. that I fill my guns with.. seems like you could go down to two tanks.. or if you have power there ought to be a way to have the compressor tether before the regulator and fill the tether tank even while you are shooting? I assume from the picture that you are running a regulator between the tank and gun..
I've also heard that they make booster pumps, I think they run off air and then you can basically empty one tank completely into the other one to keep it up to pressure.. but likely you have more knowledge about this than I do.. you sure put together a nice package..
a question.. if you don't tether the gun.. how many accurate shots do you get on the tank attach to the gun?
I heard it was around 10 but I'm not sure

nice setup.. just a couple thoughts.. I have a Omega trail charger.. that I fill my guns with.. seems like you could go down to two tanks.. or if you have power there ought to be a way to have the compressor tether before the regulator and fill the tether tank even while you are shooting? I assume from the picture that you are running a regulator between the tank and gun..
I've also heard that they make booster pumps, I think they run off air and then you can basically empty one tank completely into the other one to keep it up to pressure.. but likely you have more knowledge about this than I do.. you sure put together a nice package..
a question.. if you don't tether the gun.. how many accurate shots do you get on the tank attach to the gun?
I heard it was around 10 but I'm not sure
HI Mark,
Thanks for chiming in. Yes, I shoot tethered.
I shoot at the Diablo Rod and Gun club in Concord, CA which fills club members air tanks. It's only when I shoot remotely do I need to bring an extra tank. I have never shot my Texan without being tethered, so I don't know how many shots just from the Texan tank. At my velocity, probably only around 6 shots.

Your Omega charger is great. However, there isn't a portable/12v compressor that will fill my tethered tanks. AS far as I know, they are only for filling the smaller rifle tanks. If I used something like your Omega, it would be constantly running and never topping off.

Rod in San Francisco
P1060314.jpg
P1060326.jpg

thank you for the reply.. I had heard that the texan got around 10 shots but depending on caliber and settings.. I had originally looked at the 45lss but after watching a couple videos I decided it's got too much recoil for me.. I guess I got tender as I got old because just a 22 brake barrel spring gun and 10 rounds and I am sore and it's not fun.. but I was thinking about a 30 caliber or like you have 25 caliber for less recoil.. how much recoil does yours have with the slugs and your settings?
it's funny because I used to shoot 7mm but now I can't even shoulder my 410 or 357 lever action.. now my Gamo varmint shotgun 22 smooth bore and after 10 shots I'm done shooting for awhile and it was not worth the pain..
I do shoot 22 PCP pistol and rifle.. have 2 rifles and my avenger, I like shooting long range but I can do a 2" group with open sights at 160 yards but at 170 it turns into a scatter gun.. can't get hardly any on the 24" square target..I don't understand why but I just thought it ran out of steam..but I can stretch out my Henry golden boy 22 to 1/4 mile and hit a 12" target.. actually got a coyote at full run 1/4 mile as he was trying to get away after I shot the pack leader, trying to eat a baby cow in a herd I was taking care of for my neighbor.. got him right behind the front shoulder and he tumbled and was dead.. don't like killing things, just target shooting, but a $500 calf is too expensive for his dinner..so I was just thinking about getting a 30 caliber air rifle, actually almost ordered a umarex gauntlet 30 caliber.. but I also was very curious about the 257 lss and wondering if it would get more than 10 shots..
course it's basically a 25 caliber and you are shooting heavy slugs..
please let me know more about what your rifle is like..
also it looked like you have a adjustment wheel on your scope mount for elevation.. so do you use it for changing elevation for distance? from your write-up I got the impression that you were able to use mil dot or something like that and didn't have to change settings..
you are way more advanced than I am.. I used to use a scope, but long range I didn't have enough adjustment to keep it in the view, so I used open sights.. then later on I couldn't hit anything with a scope and gave my scoped guns to my daughter.. recently she visited me and bought her 300 win mag to shoot distance ( I'd never want to try firing it..its blast is like a cannon and I didn't like even being 30 ft away and earplugs) but I tried looking through the scope and found 4 cross hairs 🤔🤔 so I put on my reading glasses and it went to one 🤣.. so maybe after I get glasses from the doctor, end of the month, well I might be able to use a scope again 😃..
just wondering how you changed between say 50 yards and 200 yards? or more? I know that people use ballistic calculator on the phone but I don't know anything about it, I don't even have a chronograph..
so I'd really like to know more about what your doing, equipment and stuff.. and you are welcome to PM me if that's better..
thank you
Mark

thank you for the reply.. I had heard that the texan got around 10 shots but depending on caliber and settings.. I had originally looked at the 45lss but after watching a couple videos I decided it's got too much recoil for me.. I guess I got tender as I got old because just a 22 brake barrel spring gun and 10 rounds and I am sore and it's not fun.. but I was thinking about a 30 caliber or like you have 25 caliber for less recoil.. how much recoil does yours have with the slugs and your settings?
it's funny because I used to shoot 7mm but now I can't even shoulder my 410 or 357 lever action.. now my Gamo varmint shotgun 22 smooth bore and after 10 shots I'm done shooting for awhile and it was not worth the pain..
I do shoot 22 PCP pistol and rifle.. have 2 rifles and my avenger, I like shooting long range but I can do a 2" group with open sights at 160 yards but at 170 it turns into a scatter gun.. can't get hardly any on the 24" square target..I don't understand why but I just thought it ran out of steam..but I can stretch out my Henry golden boy 22 to 1/4 mile and hit a 12" target.. actually got a coyote at full run 1/4 mile as he was trying to get away after I shot the pack leader, trying to eat a baby cow in a herd I was taking care of for my neighbor.. got him right behind the front shoulder and he tumbled and was dead.. don't like killing things, just target shooting, but a $500 calf is too expensive for his dinner..so I was just thinking about getting a 30 caliber air rifle, actually almost ordered a umarex gauntlet 30 caliber.. but I also was very curious about the 257 lss and wondering if it would get more than 10 shots..
course it's basically a 25 caliber and you are shooting heavy slugs..
please let me know more about what your rifle is like..
also it looked like you have a adjustment wheel on your scope mount for elevation.. so do you use it for changing elevation for distance? from your write-up I got the impression that you were able to use mil dot or something like that and didn't have to change settings..
you are way more advanced than I am.. I used to use a scope, but long range I didn't have enough adjustment to keep it in the view, so I used open sights.. then later on I couldn't hit anything with a scope and gave my scoped guns to my daughter.. recently she visited me and bought her 300 win mag to shoot distance ( I'd never want to try firing it..its blast is like a cannon and I didn't like even being 30 ft away and earplugs) but I tried looking through the scope and found 4 cross hairs 🤔🤔 so I put on my reading glasses and it went to one 🤣.. so maybe after I get glasses from the doctor, end of the month, well I might be able to use a scope again 😃..
just wondering how you changed between say 50 yards and 200 yards? or more? I know that people use ballistic calculator on the phone but I don't know anything about it, I don't even have a chronograph..
so I'd really like to know more about what your doing, equipment and stuff.. and you are welcome to PM me if that's better..
thank you
Mark
Mark, you tell a great story. Thanks for sharing.

It’s so amazing that you are able to do that at 200 yards.
I’ve shot out to 150 yards and it’s so much more difficult than 100 yards.
Thanks for sharing your success!
Thanks for chiming in.
It takes practice.
I estimate that I have over 2000 shots at 200 yards just to dial everything in.
You will get there eventually.

Rod

I'm glad to see other people shooting the257. My problem is it's so much fun to shoot I forget about the tuning. I use the same slugs as well as ones from the arsenal 85 gr spitzer mold which works out well because of the weight. I was shooting at about 970 but went up to your speed and like it better. GUY MATH. The closest powder burner caliber is a 22 magnum which costs 55 cents. My cast slugs cost me 5 cents. I have thrown about one hundred pounds of lead so far at about 80 slugs a pound which means I have made 50 cents each time I shot those 8 thousand rounds which is 4 thousand dollars. I'm thinking about buying a rifle that takes a 5 $ bullet so I can afford a new truck.