• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MY NEW PUP IS NOT GUN SHY!

In the very dark past if your dog was gun shy he or she was good for nothing. Strange but very true from the 60's and earlier. 

I've had a few and it is frustrating but it's all about how you introduce your pup to the gun shot. Some pups just don't care and love it and some just hate it.

Years ago my Aussie Ruger loved it and even treed many coons in the middle of the night in the apple trees. I'd go pop them off and he'd bite their necks. But!!! If I wanted to just casually plink with my pellet gun he'd be jumping on my lap with excitement! One extreme to another. 

After Ruger all my dogs would freak out when I shot my PCP'S which really held back a lot of fun.

BUT....My new pup,ROWDY, another Aussie, I broke him in with my Blitz tonight and he did not flinch a bit! I am so excited that I now can shoot at will and not have to worry about stressing out the pups. I have another girl named Katie who's 9. 

Oh yeah, all the other Aussies are gone.

I know, just small talk but it is real about gun shy dogs. I really hate to sum this up like this but there were some guys back in the 50's and 60's that got rid of their dogs becausethey were gun shy. I was just a kid then, thank goodness those days are LONG past.

Joe

Reminded me of my child hood dog he wasn’t gun shy but gun smart. He was my hunting buddy and would go nuts if he herd me grab shells or cock it . I say gun smart because he knew what end was the bad one. He would always advoid the end of the barrel and would seem to keep one eye on it. If he found him self where he thought he was in line he would side step until he felt clear. 
none of my dogs since ever cared none had a prey drive. 
fast forward to last year and my neighbor was bragging on how he got this great lab and how much it cost- terrified of the noise and refuses to leave kennel when he sees the shotgun now. Kinda feel bad for the dog.

@joemunn that is great to hear and I can relate. I can relate to your joy.

Up until about 10 years ago before I moved to Europe I had two flat coated retrievers from the Parkburn Kennel in Canada. Moira was one of the best breeders in the business. If you got a dog from her she pretty much guaranteed it would not be gun shy due the way she raised the pups. When I mean gun shy I am talking shotguns. From around 10 weeks on my pups loved the sound and sight of guns, it meant the hunt is on.

After I get settled back in USA I plan to get a Boykin spaniel for hunting, and family spoiled brat companion, and I hope they have the will to hunt like my two beloved flat coats.

Joe Munn said it best…”it’s how you introduce your dog to the gun shot”. Some dogs aren’t bothered by loud noises like gun shots, fireworks, etc. but most are. You can train ANY DOG to accept loud noises. It takes some longer than others but the method I’ve used for years works.

Bring a starter pistol or 22 with shorts. Also bring long rifles for your pistol and a 38 caliber pistol. Put the pistols in your coat pockets and don’t let the dog see them. Take the dog into a large field. Walk away from distractions like traffic and people. Walk with the dog on a long leash or preferably no leash for 100-200 yards. When the dog isn’t looking, while you’re still walking let off a shot discreetly with the starter pistol, put it away all while you’re still walking and never look at the dog during this short shooting process. Repeat and work up in calibers if the dog is ready. May take more than one visit to the field but don’t push the dog to fast if it has great angst. The first shot or three will create bewilderment in most dog’s. Don’t stop your first outing there. At least take the time to shoot 3 times in the first outing over your 500 yard trek. If it’s not going well after that have a good walk back to your vehicle and go to another field in a week or two and continue.

You can overcome any dog’s fear of loud noises with this tried and true technique 

Hi Guys

The best gun dog I had was an Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) who was deaf.

He was born without eardrums.

Warlow-jondy.1630489792.JPG

Used to take him to the range as they adjisted cattle and he would move the cattle away from the targets prior to the shoot.

Needless to say he was immune to any shooting noise 

Had to train him with hand signals.

Regards

Deafdog

Deaf dog, my healer was best dog I've ever owned but not much of a hunter.

The best way I have found to train my dogs is to take them to trap range and play fetch or their favorite game. I start off the first few times out in the parking lot or a ways away from the range. We get closer the next couple of times. Before you know it you can walk down the line with guns going off everywhere and all the dog is worried about is you throwing the dummy for him or her

Bob